A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142612 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Chapter 1: Struck Earth
« Reply #1830 on: November 17, 2010, 11:38:03 pm »

All the vegetables and fungi have to be preserved for the caravan journey, rendering them sterile. They're fine for brewing and everything else, though.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: November 17, 2010, 11:41:02 pm »

Let's just get today's update so we can move onto tomorrow already.  The lack of speed bothers me.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: November 17, 2010, 11:42:12 pm »

Alrighty then, I shall whip up one fantastic update.

NOBODY MAKE ANY CHANGES
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: November 18, 2010, 01:30:42 am »

Hastur's day
Waking up at midnight, Sandow crept away from the tent and gathered his golem, which creaked after him dutifully. With its assistance he set up a kitchen, using a table. Setting his assistant to perform crude tasks to aid him, he began preparing and cooking a recipe honed over years of study. The waxing moon provided enough light for him to work by, and as first light broke over the treetops he had finished a good amount of cooking.

Over the day he set up a crafting station to work in, and started carving a granite boulder into something useful. By the late afternoon he had carved out a sort of henhouse, and had it placed nearby. With some grass stuffed inside, the chickens happily took up roosts inside.

Lillipad's Day
Waking up early, Mikhail ate some stew, drank some beer and immediately headed out to the treeline. Breaking for lunch, he managed to cut down four trees by the time night fell, obtaining two intact logs in good condition.

Rolan's Day
With a knowledge of lumberjacking, an enchanted axe, and Tholtig helping, Adil managed to get three logs before lunch. She began checking the ground for useful plants, the sky invigorating her and the wild lands cheering her up. She found five handfuls of Wild Trailberries, and had one for dinner. The evening was spent playing with Denrhymed, who enjoyed the company immensely.

Dragonshardz' Day
Waking up early, he ate some mud worm paste and went to work. Keeping his eyes away from the sun, he was officialy the first dwarf to strike the earth at the Iron Cliffs. Over the day he broke through two units of stone, extracting three large pieces of usable granite.

Samthere's Day
Waking somewhat late, he ate Sandow's stew. He was dismayed to learn that Shem had already broken the rock, and was well into digging. Gar worked steadily despite having no knowledge of mining, and kept at it long after everybody else had gone to sleep. As the moon loomed overhead at midnight, he collapsed in a pile, having excavated two more squares of stone, but only bringing out one intact piece.

IronyOwl's Day
Tholtig decided to follow Adil around all day, and assisted in gathering lumber and plants. In her spare time she practised with throwing knives. That night she practised singing and played with her puppies, which cheered the camp up somewhat.

FuzzyZergling's Day
Kog woke up and immediately set up the still, dragging a block of granite over for it. After lunch he accompanied Adil out into the forest, finding two handfuls of Trailberries.

Ochita's Day
Setting out with Norrec and Kogan, together they hooked a mule up to the plow and tilled some earth. The ground was still frosty and they broke 20 squares of soil. Later he joined the other miners, and cracked one unit of stone, removing it from the mountainside but taking it to rubble. Late at night, he set to work making a bed, but couldn't finish it.

Norrec's Day
Working with Urist and Kogan, together they broke the frozen soil. In the afternoon she set up a carpenter's workshop with a beam of wood, then retired for the evening.

Nirur Torir's Day
With Norrec and Urist, together they broke the soil. In the afternoon he hauled the boulders away from the excavation, over to where he wanted a wall built.

CoughDrop's Day
Waking up late, Litast enjoyed some lobster and waved the caravan off. After inspecting the dwarfs and taking down notes of the days progress, she joined in the mining efforts, breaking through two blocks of stone but only keeping one intact.

Consumption/Production
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have to admit, this is nowhere near as fun as RPG'ing around. I'll update other sections shortly.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 05:52:39 am by Shade-o »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: November 18, 2010, 01:34:34 am »

Yeah, but once we get it all set up we can relegate most of this work to migrants and go back to RPG'ing around.

Edit:  Can we pick out our quests to some extent btw?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:37:42 am by V-Norrec »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: November 18, 2010, 01:38:34 am »

That is my hope exactly. Then instead of having everyone doing things exactly every day, I can say "Oh, this month the fort produced twenty logs, sixty granite, and a troll ate three philosophers." and focus on having blow-by-blow adventures similar to the Mountainhome, but in even crazier circumstances.

Basically, running Dwarf Fortress but with even more variables is hard to do in your head. DM'ing an RPG, not so much. Not so much...

Plus we started with 11 people, not 7.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: November 18, 2010, 01:44:52 am »

Well, I think we will get back to that format at some point.  I know I want to go on a quest to Iris at some point.  Maybe I'll eventually head out on other adventures at some point.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: November 18, 2010, 01:46:20 am »

Day 2
am:
24-6: Sleep.
6-7: Breakfast of worm paste and dwarven beer.
7-9: Help mine.
9-12: Training with Norrec.
pm:
12-13: Lunch of salmon and brine ale.
13-18: Help mine.
18-19: Supper of worm paste and dwarven wine.
19-21: Converse with anyone not asleep.
21-24: Sleep.

Any problems?

Yes, it will probably be much better when we have some drones migrants.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:05:46 am by FuzzyZergling »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: November 18, 2010, 01:57:28 am »

Taking:  Leather Armor, Backpack with 2 Gold Bars, Buckler, Short Sword, 1 bag (to put seeds in)
As I need them I will get:  Barrels, and Logs.
Midnight-5:  Sleep
5-6:  Eat Mud Worm Paste and some Dwarven Beer
6-9:  Work on Beds
9-1:  Offer to show Kog a bit about brewing by brewing the Trailberries into Trail Brew
1-2:  Lunch of Sunscale Salmon and my new Trail Brew
2-6:  Try to brew another barrelful of Trail Brew using the knowledge I gained from the first batch.
6-8:  Go back to working on beds
8-9:  Dinner of Sandow Stew and Brine Ale.  Offer to stay up tonight to Litast.
9-11:  Work on Beds.
11-12:  Start a fire and watch over the camp while the others sleep.

Kog, I'm a skilled Brewer, could you please wait for me to show you how some of this is done until running off and turning our food supplies into booze.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 02:38:44 am by V-Norrec »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1839 on: November 18, 2010, 02:20:16 am »

Same schedule as before, except randomize the meals.

Also:
Spoiler: Updated Digging Plan (click to show/hide)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: November 18, 2010, 02:24:58 am »

Do you think we could dig out a 3x3 space into the wall near the entrance?
For cave plants.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: November 18, 2010, 02:26:00 am »

Honestly, I was expecting a far more mechanical game.  A couple of hours buying goods, then teleportation to the embark site, and optimizing each day.  "Roleplaying" by preferring one arbitrary food over another.

If I still wanted that I could join one of the other fortress games.  I much prefer this.

0000-0700: Sleep
0700-0800: Breakfast of Dwarven Rum and Mudworm paste
0800-1000: With axe and backpack, chop logs along the treeline.  Deliver them to camp as I fill my pack.
1000-1200: Harvest plants around the treeline again.  Look for new ones.
1200-1300: Lunch of water and something I gathered.  Time benefit for eating from backpack/ground?
1300-1800: Continue harvesting plants.
1800-1900: Watch the sun set at camp.  Honor Kun.
1900-2000: Dinner of water and something I gathered, or go hungry.
1900-2100: Experiment with milking the Purring Maggot.
2100-2300: Play with Denrhymed, relax.
2300-2400: Sleep

I remembered I can drink water.  I'm not having a meal of water and mudworm paste though, not while I'm finding fresh berries along the forest edge.
I was going to eat the trailberries, but turning them into booze is wise too.  I hope to gather more this coming day; I'm spending more time harvesting instead of woodcutting.  I'm effective at both but we need the food more.
We get seeds from the brewing, right?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:21:07 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: November 18, 2010, 02:28:42 am »

I'd rather see the farm set South of Food Storage.  That's not too far away, and we'll need to come up with a system for watering those anyhow (i.e. a well) ((Thank goodness for the mist watering the outdoor plants))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: November 18, 2010, 03:09:33 am »

12-7 Sleep
7-8 Breakfast of Sandow Stew and Dwarven Rum
8-10 Haul logs for Adil, practice throwing knives against a tree when there's nothing to haul
10-12 Grab a pickaxe and help mine
12-1 Lunch of Sandow Stew and Dwarven Wine
1-6 Help mine
6-7 Dinner of Plump Helmets and Dwarven Beer
7-9 Sing
9-10 Play with puppies
10-11 Meditate on the gods
11-12 Sleep
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:06:31 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: November 18, 2010, 03:37:30 am »

For the record, Nirur/Kogan should have the most valuable input into the design, as he is a mechanic/mason/architect.

Also, sorry for the terse descriptions of the days events. I was quite overwhelmed by the calculations and neglected my RPing.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 249