A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142573 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Chapter 1: Struck Earth
« Reply #1665 on: November 17, 2010, 02:35:46 am »

... yep I'm glad I didn't take that path, at least I didn't miss an ultra-large pile of artifact gold coins or something.

Edit:  What does second-in-command do, anything important or are they like the vice-president and just wait around for the president to die?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: November 17, 2010, 02:38:19 am »

If Litast is unable to make decisions in or out of character for whatever reason, it defaults to the second.

Yes, you can vote for yourself.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:40:57 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1667 on: November 17, 2010, 03:27:27 am »

*whistles nonchalantly*

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: November 17, 2010, 03:39:45 am »

Well, if Litast doesn't show up I'm defaulting the caravan orders to you, Norrec.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: November 17, 2010, 03:42:24 am »

He'll probably be here tomorrow.  It's his birthday after all.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:48:05 am by V-Norrec »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: November 17, 2010, 03:57:18 am »

You're right. I'll throw in a free blessing from Oggez, in fact.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: November 17, 2010, 03:59:19 am »

Second in command should probably be someone diplomatic and likable (like, say, if we had anyone really attractive), to better smooth things out until the real leader gets back. This also has the convenient effect of making a semi-official but still powerless individual others can complain to when they're not important enough to actually get a meeting with the boss, or when the boss' answer is no.

Barring that, a hard-boiled loose cannon to seize the reins and begin lighting things on fire. I'm not actually sure how that's helpful, but it seems fitting somehow.

Also, we should totally give our dwarves birthdays, or maybe just celebrate some sort of Christmas-type holiday. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: November 17, 2010, 04:05:52 am »

Been looking at the GAR PLAN ALPHA, and can't quite figure out what the + and v mean. + is doors, maybe? v is an indicator for a hole dug down?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So far for official holidays:
The first day, 25th Obsidian shall go down as Foundation Day, followed shortly by 1st Granite as New Year.

We should definitely have actual Holy Days/Weeks for each deity.

WAIT I'LL DO IT, I'M THE GM.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: November 17, 2010, 04:10:29 am »

+ definitely seems like doors, v is either a future marker or a hole. It'll supposedly end up with magma in it, so leaving it as nothing shouldn't matter until we find some.

Now, how to decide what days should be holy days... ideally they'd commemorate some sort of event, rather than just being a nice day/week, though I guess "the start of spring" or "the winter solstice" could be fitting in some cases. It'd kind of suck leaving a deity holidayless waiting for an excuse to give it one, though.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: November 17, 2010, 04:18:22 am »

V is a channeled square, though considering that this is a stable region, we probably won't hit magma for a long time, and when we do, I doubt we'll want to pump it that far up unless we're so bored we try to create a heating system for our fortress/Mountainhome... why do I feel like I just gave Nirur's character something to do after we get defenses set up.  ((hint it might be because I'm cold-blooded >.>  <.<))

Also, we shouldn't have our first forges/workshops be all like "THIS IS GAR'S FORGE ONLY, GO FIND OWN, THIS MINE!"  Just saying.  I'm eventually planning on getting my own kitchen and still for the tavern, but other than opening a business and such, there really is no reason to claim an entire workshop all to your own.  Heck, all I really need is the kitchen so I can make fresh meals for the customers.

Edit:  Hipobis Giltgold's holiday is the Third of Opal, to mark his destruction of an entire Goblin Tower, or something.  Meh, I'll let you decide, I just don't want Hipobis to go without a holiday.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:28:58 am by V-Norrec »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1675 on: November 17, 2010, 04:25:43 am »

Wouldn't it also make sense for the second-in-command to be a gruff, solid, dependable type of fellow?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: November 17, 2010, 04:28:13 am »

That's an unfair requirement, since the rest of the expedition are either highly opportunistic, insane, absent-minded or bloodthirsty.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1677 on: November 17, 2010, 04:31:29 am »

No, no, I'm not saying it's a requirement...just a really, really good idea.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: November 17, 2010, 04:31:41 am »

We do need a place for the workshops though, and if he's digging it out himself I don't really see a problem with having it next to his bedroom. I don't think he intends to hoard it, and when we end up with more than one person wanting to use it at a time it's probably just time to make another one.

Wouldn't it also make sense for the second-in-command to be a gruff, solid, dependable type of fellow?
Mm. True enough. Though, maybe a bit more sub-leader than second in command, like an overseer of something.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1679 on: November 17, 2010, 04:35:00 am »

*cough**cough*

Commander of Defenses? (AKA Militia Captain)
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 249