A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143195 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2010, 07:55:28 pm »

RELOAD FASTER!!!!  Also shoot at the dwarf who attempted to stab me.  Then switch to my quarterstaff and start beating on the criminal dwarves with that.

((Yey, I won the seat, now I just have to live to take it.))
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:08:45 pm by V-Norrec »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2010, 07:56:12 pm »

Wow I'm going to a concert so I'm done for the night, but yeah this is really good.
(And I actually knew what tanning is, but thanks!)

I guess Tongsletter helps move supplies to the wagon, offers his surplus to others, and generally does boring things while I'm away.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2010, 08:04:02 pm »

Almost done, will finish later.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2010, 08:04:51 pm »

I feel like my character sheet is missing 2 skills. Confirmation?

Drag the HARDENED THUG back to headquarters. Report that the head of the WANTED CRIMINAL has no UPSTANDING CITIZEN to claim the reward. Throw the HARDENED THUG into a prison cell, and accept my pay for arresting him. Go to the captain's office and ask if my request for chainmail has been accepted. If it has, then put the chainmail on, take a HARD BOILED SWIG from one of the Waterskins with alcohol, and head to the crime-filled part of town to get back to my honest day's work.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2010, 08:19:11 pm »

V-Norrec
You finish reloading, and pop back up from behind cover. You come face to face with the dwarf you knocked away. He sees the crossbow and tries to bat it away, but you fire just as his hand connects. The shot ends up hitting him right in the gut, piercing his flesh like soft butter. He reels back and vomits up various liquids.

You drop the crossbow and grab a long beam that could work as a quarterstaff. You leap over the barrier, but he's waiting and slices at you. You block the blow with your staff, and follow it up with a jab that strikes him in the chest, cracking something.

You swing again, hitting him in the left upper leg. You keep driving him back, tapping and swiping with your pole. Eventually he collapses, a mass of bruises and fractures.

2 Exploded Dwarfs dead
1 Gutshot Dwarf passed out
1 handless Dwarf passed out
1 Gutshot, beaten Dwarf passed out

Wow, we're hitting people in the gut a lot today.

Lillipad
Faced with nothing but frustration, you drag the thug to the local guard barracks. A doctor looks him over, while the warden takes down your account of the events, as well as disposing of the head. The captain tells you that CRIME DOESN'T PAY, and that TAKING DOWN SLIME IS IT'S OWN REWARD. You guess that you're not getting paid today. However, your report matches up with an ongoing investigation, and you are instructed to head back to the warehouse district and find the stash that is being used for smuggling. You're given a list of premises to search, much easier than the entire district.

You should have Skilled Defender, Skilled two other military things, and two Novice anything.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:21:33 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2010, 08:24:07 pm »

Crossbow bolt to each of the 3 passed out dwarves heads, then check the crate see if there is any sizable sections of gold dust left, then check the sacks.  See what they contain.

Edit:  Actually leave the beaten-up gutshot dwarf alive, I have a plan for him.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2010, 08:24:52 pm »

Can I apply for a first wave migrant, since the original expeds are all taken?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2010, 08:30:42 pm »

I fixed my sheet.

I'll search through the listed warehouses that are reported as closed down, and stroke my beard in a hard boiled fashion as I remember those days in the near-empty Military Academy.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2010, 08:36:23 pm »

V-Norrec
You steel your heart and execute each of the fallen. It would be more practical to simply slit their throats, but this way is much more dramatic. You hold back a manly tear as you pull the trigger, then crank the crossbow before moving onto the next one. You quickly check the golden dust that was scattered around. A lot of it is soaked in blood, but the rest is identified as Lantern Dye, previously held inside sacks inside the crate. You are disappoint. The sacks that the others were carrying are full of some sort of flour.

You suddenly remember that this was part of a criminal operation, and the rest of the organisation likely won't appreciate it being ruined. These looked like common hired help, definitely not the professionals that would be involved in ensuring the success of such a high-stakes plan

2 Exploded dwarfs
3 Executed dwarfs

15 bolts remaining

Iituem
Sure. In fact, if someone else drops from the embark you have a chance of being picked to replace them.

Lillipad
You begin to search methodically for the premise. You check five, but all of them are empty or legitimate businesses. You pause for a moment as you reflect on those days back at the academy. The world shifts to a de-saturated, almost black and white look, and you are exploring your own memories. What happened back then?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2010, 08:40:34 pm »

Grab a back pack, stuff it full of anything remotely valuable.  Take a drink from any booze in there, then head out to the pawn shop district of town.  Get 5 bolts and put it in the quiver too, while I'm at it.

Edit:  I completely forgot, pat down the non-exploded bodies for cash or other high currency items. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:57:34 pm by V-Norrec »

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2010, 08:43:43 pm »

Well, since most people joined the military by drawing names from a hat, you can imagine that the academy had little to no students. The days spent back then were rather lonesome, my only competition being a twig-armed elf slave foreign exchange student with no depth perception. Even the teachers were never present, so I mostly just spent time practicing with weapons that were left out for practice.
I considered entering the arena, but it wouldn't be fair to the elf if I beat him to death with his own skull. Eventually a few more dwarfs came, and then I actually had to stay in class. All those countless hours I could have spent honing my crossbow skills up another stage were wasted because of those newcomers!

Snapping back into the present, search through as much of the list as I can, drinking a swig of alcohol from one of my alcohol filled Waterskins as necessary. If all else fails, go to the pawn shop district in town to buy the information.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:47:40 pm by Lillipad »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2010, 08:46:13 pm »

Lilli, I'm totally going to sell you the information of where those dead bodies are for no reason, other than I want your money :D

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2010, 09:02:02 pm »

Added missing trait.

I tell my friend "Not right away, sometime this year, likely. Everyone needs a good doctor!" and head off to the local tavern to tell tales of shenanigans and tomfoolary.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2010, 09:06:38 pm »

V-Norrec
You loot a backpack from the crates, but struggle to find anything particularly valuable. It's mostly practical, common goods. Presumably the valuables are either at another location or are en route. You settle for grabbing a sack of Lantern Dye, lashing it onto the backpack. You also refill your quiver, and take another full one on your belt. Finally, you crack open a barrel and drink some wine. Leaving the site, you head for yet another seedy district.

Lillipad
You snap out of your noirish vision, and go back to searching the premises. The sixth premise you search appears to be the one. Approaching down the alleyway, you see two corpses, each executed by a bolt to the head. One has another in his gut, and the other is missing a hand. You glance to the side and see a military-scale ballista bolt embedded in the wall.

Drawing your crossbow, you creep to the doorway and spring out, ready to fire. There are no enemies, only three more corpses. Two of them have almost been torn in half, most likely from the ballista bolt. Another is suffering multiple wounds, but most notably a bolt in the head. A crate full of lantern dye has exploded in the midst of all this. Further in, barrels and crates have been tipped over and broken, while a fully operational ballista stands empty. A barrel of strong alcohol has been spilt on the floor. Multiple containers have been ransacked.

You can only draw one conclusion. The smuggling ring has been using this warehouse as a stash, but a rival gang discovered it and attempted to muscle in. The smugglers used the ballista and crossbows to initially drive them off and executed the ones left behind, but had to flee once reinforcements arrived. They also attempted to burn down the stock as they fled, using the alcohol, but had to abandon the attempt.

Following this, the rival invaders ransacked the stockroom, searching for valuables and confidential documents. Finding them and having no immediate interest in the regular goods, they continued in pursuit of the smugglers. This all happened recently, as the bodies are still warm. You feel strongly that you should get out quickly, as more criminals may arrive ready for war. Further, your superiors should be notified that a major war between gangs may be about to break out.

FuzzyZergling
You head to the tavern, and hear about a dwarf who just won the Annual Drinking Contest and Spider Fight. He disappeared without a trace after the competition, slipping away like a pit worm coated in oil. You try to start up your own conversation, but it's hard to redirect the general theme.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2010, 09:11:31 pm »

As a member of the city guard I must never eliminate the possibility that an UPSTANDING CITIZEN GONE ROGUE is behind this sort of massacre. Recover the bolts as evidence, and circle the name on the list. Go back to headquarters and give a full report to the warden directly, put emphasis on the possibility of an UPSTANDING CITIZEN GONE ROGUE being involved, so as not to upset the warden about these delicate matters.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 249