A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143198 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2010, 06:51:12 pm »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2010, 06:52:34 pm »

Lillipad
You stroke your beard in a thinking manner, trying to figure out a way to solve this mystery. While you are distracted, somebody gets mugged behind you. You frown and try to block out the sound, also preventing you from hearing any ballista shots or screams in the distance.

V-Norrec
Not having time to reload the ballista, you raise your crossbow at the handless dwarf. Before you fire, he passes out and hits the ground. Was it blood loss, or was it pain? No matter. One of the others has stepped forward, and you shoot at him instead.

Your aim is actually pretty terrible, but you still manage to shoot in his direction. Your shot would have skewered him, but he manages to leap aside, sliding in the gore. The second one isn't so lucky, having walked into its path. The bolt sinks into his gut, making him double over in pain. You crank the crossbow frantically.

Nirur Torir
You leave the storeroom, somewhat puzzled. Ah well, a ballista is just an overgrown crossbow. Who needs them?

Rolan7
You watch as that other guy leaves. Oh, cool, a ballista!

The veteran informs you on the various techniques of tanning, though he isn't an expert by any measure. In most cases, the hide is cleaned and processed in caustic chemicals. It can also simply be dried out. Boiling it in oil is also popular for making hardened sections for armour.

The armour fits snugly over your clothes, and you feel like a real warrior.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2010, 06:58:04 pm »

Undistract self, and leap into action to save the UPSTANDING CITIZEN, and commandeer the mugger's life.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2010, 07:02:59 pm »

Talk to the animal handler, ask why is he nervous.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »

Actually, I should really check to see if my papers have arrived yet. If they have, I'll draw up a diagram of the ballista, so I'll have a better idea of how to build one. They could come in handy. I'll then converse with any caravan personnel who are there early, and try to figure out if any of them are likely to stab me in the back or something.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2010, 07:07:52 pm »

Fire the crossbow again at the dwarf that dodged!  Duck behind the barrels as I reload, then pop back up and try to hit the dwarf with the quarrel in his guts.

((This combat system is bad-ass, btw Lilli if you don't get here I'm totally stealing all that gold dust, how much would that be worth. . . just in case))

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2010, 07:18:53 pm »

Ochita
You talk to the animal handler, hoping to calm him down. You manage to grab him and sit him on a bench. He explains that ever since he came into possession of that unicorn, he's had terrible luck. The only way to get rid of it is through sale, otherwise he'll be hauled up for destroying property.

Sorry about that, I was already on it.

Lillipad
You realise your duty, and swing around, brandishing your crossbow. You're not sure that you can avoid hitting the innocent, so you run at the mugger while waving the crossbow like a club. The crim nearly panics and runs, but thinks better of it and turns to attack you. To his surprise, you don't hit him with your crossbow. Instead you lower it and fire at point-blank range.

The bolt hits him in the gut, piercing well into it. He's basically incapacitated. You could finish him off, haul him off for imprisonment and medical treatment, or leave him there. The innocent is lying on the ground, stunned by the development.

Nirur Torir
You procure a sheet of paper from the stacked supplies. The staff will likely discover it and get a fresh bin to replace damaged goods. You head back to the armoury and discretely make diagrams of the more complicated mechanisms, though it's all fairly elementary. You leave without the owner spotting you, and start up some conversation with the guards and other staff around the caravan.

V-Norrec
The lucky dwarf charges you, and manages to reach the barricade before you can reload. He produces a dagger and takes a swing at you, but you block it with the stock of your crossbow. You bash him back, and you bruise his left upper arm while knocking him off the precarious position he had on top of the barrels and crates. You go back to cranking furiously.

2 Dwarfs exploded
1 Dwarf de-handed, unconscious, bleeding out
1 Dwarf gut-shot, reeling
1 Dwarf knocked back, bruised left upper arm
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2010, 07:21:47 pm »

I am so very much going to build three towers, each with at least one ballista on top, along with several swivel-mounted crossbows. I might even rig up something that lets somebody fire multiple crossbows in the same direction at once.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2010, 07:22:50 pm »

Talk to him, is there anyway to get rid of it? Set it free, give it to the elves saying its a gift and that it deserves to be with them or something?
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2010, 07:24:23 pm »

He can't do much, so I'll help the citizen up, send him/her on his/her way, then drag the criminal around the warehouse district for a while. If my Magic-touch senses start telling me of an UPSTANDING CITIZEN follow the sense and help out the UPSTANDING CITIZEN.
Contemplate how thirsty/hungry I am without distracting myself again.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2010, 07:29:33 pm »

Ochita
The handler explains that everything in the stables is his responsibility. If he sets it free, that's a hammering. If he gifts it away, that's a hammering. If he kills it, that's a hammering. Talking out of line, you bet that's a hammering. The only way to safely get rid of it would be for some chump to buy it.

Lillipad
The citizen is glad for your assistance, and scurries off. You drag the criminal around for a while, though he protests that this is highly illegal. The bolt seems to have plugged its own wound, so he doesn't look like he's going to bleed out soon. You come to the realisation that any shady dealings would be unlikely to be conducted in the well-to-do areas, so you head for the grimy and crude warehouses that are more likely to be used by criminals and dealers.

Also, V-Norrec won the empty seat on the caravan.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:31:51 pm by Shade-o »

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2010, 07:32:01 pm »

I'll have the thug lead me to a warehouse with heavy weapons, such as a ballista. Remind him that I have commandeered his life before he says something that might make me remember that he's wanted.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2010, 07:44:55 pm »

Here is my character sheet:
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
If there's anything wrong with this, please tell me.

Are migrants included in the Mountainhome RPG?
If so, I would like to brag to my housemate about how wonderfull the new fortress will be.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:55:35 pm by FuzzyZergling »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2010, 07:46:02 pm »

I love how psychotic dwarfy this has gotten, and you haven't even embarked yet.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2010, 07:54:52 pm »

Lillipad
The thug protests that he's just a common goon, most definitely not involved in ballista smuggling. He just robs people, steals furniture, that sort of thing. You insist that you know his history and make up impressive-sounding terms for his punishment, and he points in a direction. However, it leads to the warehouse of a rich and wealthy merchant family. Is it possible that this conspiracy goes straight to the top?

FuzzyZergling
Your housemate is duly impressed by your bragging. They ask when you'll be going (out of curiosity, not implying that they'll be glad to see you go).

Yes, extra names can do stuff too. You signed up for the trip, you're just not currently going. You're also missing a good trait.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 249