A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143220 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #1185 on: November 15, 2010, 02:49:30 am »

Shade-o: Sounds good, let me tweak it.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: November 15, 2010, 02:54:24 am »

Gar calls, "Hey, nonexistant darkness, what's your name?" There is no reply.

Tholtig continues her conversation, "Any treasure out there?" to which it responds "Depends on what you mean by treasure! You'll definitely find something, unless it finds you first! I have to go, there's too much lantern light around here. Remember Tholtig, always believe in yourself..."

The bloodstains on the doors fade away, and they grind noisily against the floor as they open. A rush of cold air blows in your faces. Having no better plan, everybody huddles up with Mikhail in the lead, weapons drawn and lanterns held high. The group enters a chamber with a ceiling that cannot be seen, huge stone pillars stretching into the darkness. The supports spread out in every direction like trees in a forest, and no walls can be seen except the one that you entered by.

The light reaches a fearsome form! A beastly silhouette looms in front, and more are discovered to the sides sparking a brief panic as it is realised that the group is surrounded by a horde of enemies. There is a painfully long wait as everybody braces for these stalkers to leap forward, no doubt the fearsome and unnatural guardians of this place. There is no action from them. Mikhail breaks the stalemate by firing his crossbow at one, which explodes into dust and fragments.

There's a wave of laughter as everybody realises that they have been preparing to do battle with a legion of desiccated corpses. It would seem that even monsters need air. And food.

A closer examination of them reveals little, as much of the structure has mummified or disappeared completely. They appear to have been horse-sized creatures with wolf-like features, but little else can be ascertained. It seems unlikely that any of them would remain alive.

Faced with no other logical path, the huddle travels straight forward from the doorway between two rows of pillars. The number of beasts passed is truly amazing. After some time walking and being watched by hundreds of eyeless sockets, the final goal appears.

An empty basin on a pedestal, standing in a depression with a ring of stairs. The pedestal, basin and depression is made of a glossy black stone, similar to the doors and carved symbol. There are no engravings or any other kind of decoration.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: November 15, 2010, 03:03:11 am »

Glance through the book again.
"I don't remember anything about this... maybe it wants more blood?  I'm not volunteering this time.  I don't bleed on god-prisons, just their doors."
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 15, 2010, 03:05:22 am »

Walk to the pedestal, put hands on bowl.

If nothing particularly interesting happens, exhale into bowl.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: November 15, 2010, 03:06:52 am »

IronyOwl
You stick your hands in the bowl. It feels cold. You blow in it. It sounds like the wailing of a thousand souls.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 15, 2010, 03:08:29 am »

Time to get weird.

Go over to a mummified corpse and attempt to commune with/meditate on it.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: November 15, 2010, 03:14:15 am »

IronyOwl
You try talking to a desiccated beast. Your mere breath makes it collapse into dust.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 15, 2010, 03:16:21 am »

Spoiler: Shem Kilrudtabar (click to show/hide)

How's this look?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 15, 2010, 03:18:52 am »

So much for that one.

Go back to the bowl, speak "Who are you?" into it. If the result isn't suitably interesting, use one of the throwing knives to cut myself and drip a bit of blood into the bowl.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 15, 2010, 03:22:00 am »

That's good, though since we're at 11 now I'll make that a full-sized tent and bedding for 4, and I'll have to ask you to empty out those waterskins first.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 15, 2010, 03:24:15 am »

IronyOwl
Everybody else watches your antics with a mixture of fear and amusement.

"Who are you?" you ask, speaking directly into the basin. It sounds like "OoooOOOOoooooOOOOOOOOooooOOOO..."

Finding no other option, you cut yourself with a knife and drip the blood into the basin.

WHY DID YOU DO THAT OH NO RUN AWAY

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 15, 2010, 03:24:41 am »

...Curses. Even though I added in the expense of buying enough boozahol to fill said waterskins?

Also, 4-dorf tent+bedding will be costing just 100☼? Or will I need to re-juggle my shopping list?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 15, 2010, 03:25:41 am »

Maybe the thousand-damned-souls god will grant me a wish? :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 15, 2010, 03:26:46 am »

Look, as long as the bowl doesn't unleash a thousand souls to reanimate the beasts, we're probably fine.

I am mildly afraid.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 15, 2010, 03:30:57 am »

Dangit, I knew I should have just stolen Sandow's chicken instead of asking for it.
This is going to be "fun", heheh.  But I really shouldn't be awake now, and I think most people are offline right?  It's a nice cliffhanger for me to sleep on.

Also: If only we had a skilled potash maker to make the guardians into lye!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 249