Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: how do i tell...  (Read 3999 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how do i tell...
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 10:13:19 pm »

Well I suppose it's sexist that one of my biggest scruples is to never hit a woman. I don't think it's wrong.

You don't think sexism is wrong, then? Either that scruple is motivated by sexism (and therefore you don't think sexism is wrong), or it's motivated by something else (and therefore isn't sexist to begin with).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 10:22:50 pm »

Well I suppose it's sexist that one of my biggest scruples is to never hit a woman. I don't think it's wrong.

You don't think sexism is wrong, then? Either that scruple is motivated by sexism (and therefore you don't think sexism is wrong), or it's motivated by something else (and therefore isn't sexist to begin with).

It's the first moral lesson I was ever taught. And I think that you're ignoring that grey areas exist. I think woman should be able to vote, and have equal rights. I also know I'll never hit a woman. I feel very strongly about that too. To the point where I decked a guy for backhanding a girl when I was in high school.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 10:27:49 pm »

I'm not saying that you're infinitely sexist in all ways. However, I think you're espousing somewhat sexist viewpoints.

I mean, I wouldn't be quick to hit a woman either, but then again, I wouldn't be quick to hit a guy. After all, if a man does something such that he deserves to get smacked, why would a woman doing that same thing be treated differently? The only real argument aside from tradition is that they're weaker/more fragile, but that's just a generalization that means nothing in the moment (hell, I don't think I've dated a woman who wasn't stronger than me physically).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 10:32:03 pm »

Well, i'm going to agree with Calhoun here. You can call it Sexist, sure, it likely is, but its also one of the first things I was ever taught as a young child. ALSO, and this might be a bit weird but i'm pretty sure I heard awhile ago that someone got charged for "Assault against a female". Now i'm not to sure if i'm right here but thats kinda weird, eh.

FAKE EDIT: Not the one I was thinking of but theres a charge for it under a court report... http://www.cinews.co.ck/2010/June/Wed30/court_report.htm

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 10:37:40 pm »

I'm not saying that you're infinitely sexist in all ways. However, I think you're espousing somewhat sexist viewpoints.

I mean, I wouldn't be quick to hit a woman either, but then again, I wouldn't be quick to hit a guy. After all, if a man does something such that he deserves to get smacked, why would a woman doing that same thing be treated differently? The only real argument aside from tradition is that they're weaker/more fragile, but that's just a generalization that means nothing in the moment (hell, I don't think I've dated a woman who wasn't stronger than me physically).

I'm not quick to hit anybody. The last time I seriously got into a fight was my senior year. I'm also prone to be more forgiving of women. Plus, women generally aren't looking to get into fights with me anyways. If a random guy attacked me, I'd have the same response to a woman attacking me (at first anyways) which is to attempt to subdue them. I'm a pretty big guy, and while I've known women who could probably knock me out cold, most would be pretty easy to simply grab and hold still. Men however, (due partly to the pressures of society) tend to be stronger, and more likely to be an even match. If I can't hold onto them, I'm going to fight back.

It's not like I'm LOOKING to get into a bunch of manly fights with men, to scorn women. I'm just not willing to fight a woman.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 10:42:46 pm »

what if you couldn't hold her down?

Also: I'm presuming that flight isn't an option in this scenario (In principle, I'd rather flee physical confrontation rather than risk major injuries)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 10:45:22 pm »

what if you couldn't hold her down?

Also: I'm presuming that flight isn't an option in this scenario (In principle, I'd rather flee physical confrontation rather than risk major injuries)

I'm really not sure. I'm not the type to run, but if that's my only option, then I'd take it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 10:49:34 pm »

(It isn't an option at all, in the above scenario)

In particular, this girl below
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
has cornered you in a subway wagon moving at high speed under the Atlantic Ocean. What do you do?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 10:52:58 pm »

has cornered you in a subway wagon moving at high speed under the Atlantic Ocean. What do you do?

She doesn't look that tough, 'couse only get biceps in that picture. If I can't run, and I can't restrain her. Then I get the shit kicked out of me.

I'm not above that.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 10:57:30 pm »

Well, i'm going to agree with Calhoun here. You can call it Sexist, sure, it likely is, but its also one of the first things I was ever taught as a young child.

Since when is "I was taught it as a child" an argument that something is right? As a child, I was taught plenty of things that I don't think are true now. People are also taught as children that other races are inferior; is that an excuse for acting like that into adulthood and not questioning those beliefs?

It's not like I'm LOOKING to get into a bunch of manly fights with men, to scorn women. I'm just not willing to fight a woman.

There is simply  no reason gender should enter the equation, period, whether you were taught as a child that it should or not. What matters are the characteristics of the individual/situation in question that are relevant (How big are they? How big am I? Can I defend myself effectively against them? Can I run? How are they acting?), and gender isn't one of them.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 11:02:10 pm »

There is simply  no reason gender should enter the equation, period, whether you were taught as a child that it should or not. What matters are the characteristics of the individual/situation in question that are relevant (How big are they? How big am I? Can I defend myself effectively against them? Can I run? How are they acting?), and gender isn't one of them.
So you are telling me right now that you would fight a woman if you thought you could take her?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 11:04:04 pm »

in my case, it's more of a thing that I would fight someone regardless of gender, if I didn't see any other choice. Callous? Maybe, but I'm not the one being bludgeoned to death by a girl in the bottom of the Atlantic Rift

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 11:07:35 pm »

I guess I'll chime in.

Most forms of being a proper gentleman that I can think of are sexist. Why do I have to hold the door for her? Because that's what a gentleman would do. Manners can be sexist. It's ok because it's tradition. Should it be ok? Nope. But it is.

If you take her to the movies, buy her ticket. Take her to lunch, cover the bill. But I wouldn't recommend the movie. Like someone said, you just sit in a dark room for two hours.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 11:07:54 pm »

I'd hit that. Oh man would I hit that...

I mean really, this chick has me cornered in a subway car? This is a good thing.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 11:10:32 pm »

in my case, it's more of a thing that I would fight someone regardless of gender, if I didn't see any other choice. Callous? Maybe, but I'm not the one being bludgeoned to death by a girl in the bottom of the Atlantic Rift

Theres a difference between a fight, and a fight to the death. If it has to be you or me, then I'll pick you everytime. In that equation gender doesn't matter to me. I'd probably never be the same person after such an event though.

Most forms of being a proper gentleman that I can think of are sexist. Why do I have to hold the door for her? Because that's what a gentleman would do. Manners can be sexist. It's ok because it's tradition. Should it be ok? Nope. But it is.

In this case, I observe manners like that for all. I might go out of my way to open a door for a girl, as opposed to a man, but if theres someone behind me as I'm opening a door, I'll gladly hold it open for them.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:13:07 pm by Calhoun »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4