Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water and bridges  (Read 630 times)

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
Water and bridges
« on: November 07, 2010, 05:51:44 pm »

How does water behave *on top of* bridges?

Can I use a bridge as a giant hatch cover or does it just fall through? Or fail to retract with water on it?
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Water and bridges
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:55:06 pm »

A bridge acts like a constructed floor to water.  Water will not fall through a bridge, and pumps can't pull water up if their inlet tile is blocked by a bridge.  Water on top of a bridge will not prevent the bridge from retracting.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 05:59:26 pm »

Excellent, so I can use a bridge as the bottom of a drowning pool, and retract it, dumping all the loot and water into a seperate draining chamber. That way it can be quickly refilled and my guys can loot the bodies without more gobbos dropping in on their heads.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 06:46:35 pm »

Excellent, so I can use a bridge as the bottom of a drowning pool, and retract it, dumping all the loot and water into a seperate draining chamber. That way it can be quickly refilled and my guys can loot the bodies without more gobbos dropping in on their heads.

And you can use floor grates or bars as the floor of the second room to strain the goblinite-rich water!

Holy crap! You can sluice mine in DF!
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.