Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What would you like for there to be in Adventure Mode that involves stealth?  (Read 2076 times)

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile

I don't see our adventurer's hanging from the ceilings and snapping people's necks, though it'll probably be possible before it's all over with.
But that asside, what would you want for there to be in Adventure Mode?
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile

The ability to knock people out and drag them around. And, of course, you'd be able to drag corpses around too. Maybe a few assassin-like weapons; wrist blades, poisoned weapons etc. And the ability to add poison to people's food (I really like that one, although it won't work unless NPCs are given a realistic behaviour and schedule overhaul). Finally, to tie all of that up, there could even be an Assassin's Guild you could join, which would provide a reason for including all of the above features, where you could receive contracts and all that jazz.

There're just an amazing amount of things you can do with a game like DF.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile

Personally I want more realistic stealthful killing. Even if someone screams before you kill them, you'd have ample time to run and chances are they wouldn't know who you are off the bat if you were sneaking around. And I'm pretty sure you can't pack a body roughly the same size as you in your backpack.
I'd want:
-Alarm; Someone you kill should try to raise it if they notice you before death and have ample time to raise one. IE, if they see you and you can't manage to kill them, they might have enough time to yell that they're being attacked. They might figure out who you are in the process if they have knowledge of your existence and scream that too. However, depending on the situation you can kill them halfway through the scream or before they can get it out. Witnesses that see you kill them or try to will try to raise alarm and escape, though sometimes you may get lucky and begging for you to spare them in exchange for their lives, though they may occasionally lie, depending on if you're known well. Alarm should be some sort of measured thing; People will just think nothing at first, maybe that someone is having a nightmare, then they'll grow uneasy and spread rumors, then they'll get nervous and guards will grow more alert, until you reach a breaking point where they know something is wrong and begin searching for things unusual, and begin hunting you down when they know you're lurking.
-Surprising someone and silencing them, perhaps to interrogate them. Like if your surroundings permit it, you could hide in a small nook and pull someone inside with you into a chokehold, then do needed tasks (Kill them, knock them out, interrogate them) from there.
-The adventurer noticing things; if you leave someone alive too long that has seen you that won't keep silent, something like "_______ has a sudden look of realization on their face!" will show up, or when hiding if a guard or civilian runs by your character will notice if they're alerted, such as:
"______ paces by, a nervous look on their face as they search the shadows."
"______ runs by, cursing and looking as if searching for something."
"______ looks like they're calming down from something."
-People being tipped off by unusual things; blood on the floors and walls, tables and chairs knocked over, broken objects.... If someone sees you, if you're bloody they'll get concerned.
-Bodies have to actually be HIDDEN, and can't be carried in your backpack. You can pick someone up and carry them, with the cost of being encumbered and in a bad position if attacked, or you can drag them around. People won't know they're dead until they've been missing long enough and enough evidence is present or the body is found.

In retrospect, I think I play too many stealth games and it's beginning to affect me XD
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian loses juice.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally I want more realistic stealthful killing. Even if someone screams before you kill them, you'd have ample time to run and chances are they wouldn't know who you are off the bat if you were sneaking around. And I'm pretty sure you can't pack a body roughly the same size as you in your backpack.
I'd want:
-Alarm; Someone you kill should try to raise it if they notice you before death and have ample time to raise one. IE, if they see you and you can't manage to kill them, they might have enough time to yell that they're being attacked. They might figure out who you are in the process if they have knowledge of your existence and scream that too. However, depending on the situation you can kill them halfway through the scream or before they can get it out. Witnesses that see you kill them or try to will try to raise alarm and escape, though sometimes you may get lucky and begging for you to spare them in exchange for their lives, though they may occasionally lie, depending on if you're known well. Alarm should be some sort of measured thing; People will just think nothing at first, maybe that someone is having a nightmare, then they'll grow uneasy and spread rumors, then they'll get nervous and guards will grow more alert, until you reach a breaking point where they know something is wrong and begin searching for things unusual, and begin hunting you down when they know you're lurking.
-Surprising someone and silencing them, perhaps to interrogate them. Like if your surroundings permit it, you could hide in a small nook and pull someone inside with you into a chokehold, then do needed tasks (Kill them, knock them out, interrogate them) from there.
-The adventurer noticing things; if you leave someone alive too long that has seen you that won't keep silent, something like "_______ has a sudden look of realization on their face!" will show up, or when hiding if a guard or civilian runs by your character will notice if they're alerted, such as:
-People being tipped off by unusual things; blood on the floors and walls, tables and chairs knocked over, broken objects.... If someone sees you, if you're bloody they'll get concerned.
-Bodies have to actually be HIDDEN, and can't be carried in your backpack. You can pick someone up and carry them, with the cost of being encumbered and in a bad position if attacked, or you can drag them around. People won't know they're dead until they've been missing long enough and enough evidence is present or the body is found.

In retrospect, I think I play too many stealth games and it's beginning to affect me XD
Metal Gear Urist?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile

I'd want:

Metal Gear Urist?
I really should stop playing it.
The Russian loses juice.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

I think most of that is planned
*Hugs*

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
The Russian loses juice.

dmgpurity

• Bay Watcher
  • Mew! *Boom*
    • View Profile

I think that there should be a stealth professionalism stat and if high enough, the player could silence the victim and stab him/snap his neck or something and the stat gets higher with more stealth kills
My very first adventurer was beaten to death with his own sock.
Dwarf Fortress: Lead socks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lol, with all the stuff in the 'most evil thing' thread, you should be able to drive a wagon and cruise around kidnapping people.
xD
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

Maybe a jumping skill which would allow you to leap a distance depending on
Code: [Select]
strength + Jump Skill - (net encumbrance [includes own weight]/agility)And you would be stunned afterward for time equal to
Disttraveled/Jump Skill* (Net Encumbrance/Strength) - Jump Skill * (agility/terrain) - Willpower
quietness would depend on
(Ambush - disttravelled/Jumping skill)/(Net Encumbrance - Agility) - (Stuntime/Ambush)These values would be scaled apropriately, this should make sneaking over to otherwise unreachable stuff pretty neat. Also for height, just make the net encumrance and strength mean more than the other values.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dev blog mentions giving adventurers the ability to jump. Also climb.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

Hell Yeah! My suggestion(s) went through.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile

I want my adventurer to be able to knock adversaries unconscious, drag them to his batcave and tie him to a post. Screams of agony and terror echo through the cave as said adversary is slowly tortured and eaten alive.  ;D
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile

I want to be able to sneak into reach people's homes or castles, knock everyone unconcious, toss their bodies into humorous positions for when they wake up, then steal all their stuff. ......I've been playing too much Thief.....or not enough, not quite sure.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

- Babysnatching/kidnapping quests: take people (childs or adults) from towns and sell them to the goblins. Would be amusing for a legendary adventurer to sell an entire town. Artifact flute + "an astonishing knack for music" = pied piper?

- Thief quests: each town/civ leader gets a randomly generated item during worldgen that only exists for you to steal, and perhaps deliver/sell to someone else.

- Scout: your mission is to explore enemy territory for your civ's military. Sabotage could also be fun. Set fires in the food stockpiles?

Pages: [1] 2