Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrain affecting speed moddeled? (.16)  (Read 830 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Terrain affecting speed moddeled? (.16)
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:44:46 am »

I noticed while playing around in arena mode a slurry of monkey blood was all over the place because of the hydras.
Now I decide to walk through the slurry and my speed fell from 1072 down to 934. The moment i stepped on bare floor my speed reverted to normal.
New feature much?

So now cleaning out your fort of ALL blood is gonna be a priority. Less gore means faster dwarves.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrain affecting speed moddeled? (.16)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:10:30 pm »

So I tested this and, I don't think your statement is perfectly correct.

So I set a dwarf with full iron armour to slaughter 16 mandrils which he duly did. Afterwards, standing amongst a pile of corpses, his movement was reduced (by about 1/5). However, he didn't get his movement back when I moved him out of it. He only got it back after a quick bath (using the place [w]ater you get in arena).

So I think it is more blood coverings on the dwarves themselves rather than blood on the floor which slows them down.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:13:13 pm »

Hm interesting. Have you tried no armor yet?

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 01:30:10 pm »

Ok, I tried again a few times, with and without armour and it seems like both of us were wrong.

I think he only slowed down because he was tired. Originally when I tested it, it was one dwarf against 16 mandrils and that obviously made him tired slicing the various limbs off them with his battle axe. When I dumped water on him I didn't check his movement immediately before hand. Only right after he had killed the mandrils and right after I'd dumped water on him (there were a few seconds in between these two events).

Doing the test again with only 6 mandrils made him A: not slow down afterwards and B: Not made him tired. Despite being completely covered in blood. So that is what I'm putting it down to, tiredness. This may not fit with your original description though, so it may not be this. I'm not using the latest version (I'm on 31.14) so I may be wrong. But if it is a new feature I would have thought that Toady would have announced it...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 01:35:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was the blood on the ground below his feet, not the coverings.
I would have in step in the pile and his speed would fall, then step out and it would go up. I tried sending hydra's after the monkeys first and then have my adventurer walk over the mess and same result. As long as he stood in a pile of something, he was slowed down.