Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortification Failures  (Read 462 times)

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
Fortification Failures
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:27:21 am »

So, fortifications block creature access and can't be destroyed. This is great as it stops all the nasties getting in through them. Unless they're underwater, in which case they don't stop a damn thing! >:(  How the hell do I stop the dozen or so forgotten beasts from getting in while still letting in water?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortification Failures
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 02:42:40 am »

Eh? Fortifications should be quite enough to stop any underwater creature from entering. If that's changed since 40d, there's no way I know of to provide a constant stream of safe water.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 02:50:46 am »

They don't path through them, so they THINK that fortifications are impassible, but they can still wander through them/get sucked through with the water flow. Then they see all my lovely mechanical stuff and poke it all till it breaks.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 03:34:26 am »

Vertical bars, maybe?  Though those might be susceptible to building destroyers.  Vertical bars behind fortifications?
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 04:08:35 am »

Fortifications are good enough, but not perfect. If there's no flow, i's virtually impossible to pass through. Multiple fortifications in a row can raise the chances that something can't go through.

If you want to be 100% safe, go one level up, always and for everything, then put hatches connected to levers. Close them when there are ambushes/FBs. and nothing can enter.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 05:39:11 am »

wether build in a diagonal angle to the channel to stop pressure and a fortification behind taht or   as i often do put up a fortification then a wallgrate then another layer of fortifications