Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farmers not Planting  (Read 1378 times)

sjiffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farmers not Planting
« on: November 07, 2010, 12:16:51 am »

I've got a strange problem with my farmers - I have about seven or eight dwarves with the farming (fields) labor turned on and some skill in growing, and a number of fully muddied farm plots, everything necessary to efficiently farm, but I am inexplicably hindered.

I have about six farm plots of varying sizes, but my dwarves will only plant seeds in three of them, and even in those three, they'll only partially fill up the plot before starting to just sit around with no job.

I have no burrow settings, they're irrigated, seasons for crops are set, I have plenty of seeds...I have no idea what could be wrong. Any ideas? It's really hampering my food production...my food stockpiles are staying about steady (I have 56 dwarves) when seven or eight growers was enough to get my food stores up to the thousands in my last fort. I fear I'll be in trouble if I get any more immigrants before I can resolve this problem.

Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance for any replies.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: Farmers not Planting
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:22:27 am »

I've got a strange problem with my farmers - I have about seven or eight dwarves with the farming (fields) labor turned on and some skill in growing, and a number of fully muddied farm plots, everything necessary to efficiently farm, but I am inexplicably hindered.

I have about six farm plots of varying sizes, but my dwarves will only plant seeds in three of them, and even in those three, they'll only partially fill up the plot before starting to just sit around with no job.

I have no burrow settings, they're irrigated, seasons for crops are set, I have plenty of seeds...I have no idea what could be wrong. Any ideas? It's really hampering my food production...my food stockpiles are staying about steady (I have 56 dwarves) when seven or eight growers was enough to get my food stores up to the thousands in my last fort. I fear I'll be in trouble if I get any more immigrants before I can resolve this problem.

Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Make sure they have item and food hauling enabled and turn off all other hauling skills, make sure the seeds are unforbidden in a stockpile preferably near the farm, make sure the seeds you have are for the appropriate plots you want planted. That's all I can think of for now, I usually have 4 farmers who are enough for my entire fortress when they get skilled enough. Try embarking with 2 competent farmers.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:36:30 am »

Are you sure the areas were completely muddy before those plots were built?

Another possibility is if you smoothed the floors under your farms; that can cause dwarves to clean the mud off the floors, ruining your farms.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 12:51:17 am »

Are you sure the areas were completely muddy before those plots were built?

Another possibility is if you smoothed the floors under your farms; that can cause dwarves to clean the mud off the floors, ruining your farms.
Yes, if a farmdwarf encounters an unmuddied tile, they won't plant anything more in that plot.

Also, as a general tip, it is often better to have one or two awesome planters, rather than a dozen less skilled ones.

Ironherald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:17:20 am »

also having this problem :/

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:19:39 am »

Reflood the farms!

OH GOD NOT WITH MAGMA YOU STUPID DWARF

Damnit... The Booze is ruined now.

Ironherald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:43:40 am »

Fixed, turned out one of the muddy tiles had disappered for some reason D:

sjiffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:02:52 am »

Thanks for the advice...I think muddiness would be the most likely problem, although I did flood the farms pretty thoroughly, maybe there's a mudless tile that they keep stopping at. That would seem to make the most sense.

sjiffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 10:02:50 am »

Nope, unfortunately muddiness is not the problem.

I'd think maybe the time of year had something to do with it, like maybe they won't plant summer crops in late summer and such, but it's happening all year.

In my various farms, I have fisher berries, cave wheat, sweet pods, pig tails, and plump helmets set for summer planting, and on second inspection I don't have any sweet pod or cave wheat seeds, so that explains why they won't plant in those, but I have all the other seeds. Besides, when I run out of seeds, I usually get a string of job cancellations about seeds, which never happened.

It may be that I turned item hauling off on some of them, but I still had this problem when it was on...I disabled it because then they spent all their time hauling rock crafts. I'll try turning item hauling back on, and deleting my finished goods stockpile temporarily.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 10:04:55 am »

Check your orders, see if there's anything there out of ... order.

sjiffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 11:03:35 am »

Changing their hauling settings does seem to have resolved the issue. I'd always thought seeds were classified as food since they're under food stores in the status screen but I guess they're items, for hauling at least...or at least some of them are

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 11:52:16 am »

I always turn off all hauling but food and items, never actually checked which was what though I was just loosely reasoning the theory and it worked.

sjiffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 12:22:48 pm »

ARGH. The problem has come definitively UNFIXED. All of my farms are set to plump helmets or strawberries this season, and not a single planter is planting. Have seeds, muddied plots, Labors enabled, item and food hauling enabled...yet not a single lazy farmer is planting any seeds. They aren't even busy elsewhere - they're just idling.

WHAT IS THE DEAL

edit: Actually, one dwarf is planting, so that shows it's not a seed or farm thing, I think. The others appear to be just lazy.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:27:21 pm by sjiffy »

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 12:41:36 pm »

ARGH. The problem has come definitively UNFIXED. All of my farms are set to plump helmets or strawberries this season, and not a single planter is planting. Have seeds, muddied plots, Labors enabled, item and food hauling enabled...yet not a single lazy farmer is planting any seeds. They aren't even busy elsewhere - they're just idling.

WHAT IS THE DEAL

edit: Actually, one dwarf is planting, so that shows it's not a seed or farm thing, I think. The others appear to be just lazy.

Post a copy of your game?

sjiffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 02:19:05 pm »

I decided to start anew...my fortress was scrod anyway, I'd designed it really badly so it was horribly inefficient, and I had no sedimentary layer...my poor iron-armed dwarves were getting smashed to bits by goblins, who were ambushing me intensely, giving my military little time to train before getting whacked. I need to try making a danger room or some such.

I'm going to definitely stick with a few professional growers this time instead of a large peasant workforce; it should free up a lot of workers for masonry and engraving and whatnot.
Pages: [1] 2