Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: A possibly, odd, question.  (Read 10993 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: A possibly, odd, question.
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2010, 09:33:32 pm »

You guys are getting trolled hard.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2010, 09:45:15 pm »

What is Asperger's anyway?
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2010, 09:48:40 pm »

Think of it on a different spot on the spectrum which isn't as notable as actual autism, but nearly equally imparing nevertheless.
But enough of that here. I plastered an everything thread onto the GD board.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2010, 09:50:56 pm »

Mild form of autism, basically--so "unbelievably shitty social skills, to the point where you wonder if the person in question is trolling you."  Some people get over it, some people don't, and others build enough strange workarounds that they end up functioning largely normally.  There's different degrees of functioning.

Meh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »

I've heard Aspergers described as being a savant of sorts. Lack of social skills like Vector said, inabilities to empathize and such; but the person will go beast mode on topics that catch their interest.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2010, 09:56:26 pm »

I've heard Aspergers described as being a savant of sorts. Lack of social skills like Vector said, inabilities to empathize and such; but the person will go beast mode on topics that catch their interest.

Asperger's is separate from savant syndrome.  It is characterized by narrow, obsessive interests, but that doesn't mean that the person in question is very good at them...

Savant syndrome is generally mental retardation, coupled with an almost supernatural ability in some other area.  Typically, it's things like "counting," "piano," or "memorizing digits of pi."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2010, 09:59:11 pm »

In psychiatry class they were defined as different things, asperger's and autism. There were signs and symptoms present in one and not the other, and viceversa. Plus, asperger's IQs were in normalcy range, versus actual autism-sufferers, of which 75% were under the mental retardation thres--

*falls to the floor with a shuriken embedded on his back*
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2010, 10:01:06 pm »

In psychiatry class they were defined as different things, asperger's and autism. There were signs and symptoms present in one and not the other, and viceversa. Plus, asperger's IQs were in normalcy range, versus actual autism-sufferers, of which 75% were under the mental retardation threshold.

The only real diagnostic difference in the DSM-IV is that people with autism speak late.  Also, because the differences are so few, they're apparently planning on lumping Asperger's into High-Functioning Autism as of the DSM-V.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2010, 10:02:55 pm »

there were motor anomalies too, and some others. Don't recall the details, and don't have the book around, so I can't produce the list
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2010, 10:06:37 pm »

there were motor anomalies too, and some others. Don't recall the details, and don't have the book around, so I can't produce the list

Hrm...

Spoiler: Compare and Contrast (click to show/hide)

Yup, you're right.  Thanks for calling me on that.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2010, 10:35:05 pm »

Thanks guys! I thought I knew, and I was right, but I would never want to make an ass of myself so I had to check. I knew a guy with Asperger's in junior high. In fact, we had an autistic kid, a kid with ass burgers, and a girl who was socially behind by two years from having a coma. They all went to regular classes, and only the kid with Asperger's had any sort of help, and he was just tutored.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2010, 10:46:09 pm »

Ass burgers?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2010, 10:46:50 pm »

A derogatory term for aspergers, I think used more often for the people who claim to have it to avoid having to be reasonable people.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2010, 10:47:51 pm »

A derogatory term for aspergers, I think used more often for the people who claim to have it to avoid having to be reasonable people.

Dunno, I've accidentally said "ass burgers" plenty of times myself.  It's pretty easy to slip out by accident if you're not being really careful.

Is the usage really solely derogatory?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2010, 10:49:51 pm »

How could calling someone an ass burger not be derogatory? It boggles the mind.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8