Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist you're supposed to pick that up!!  (Read 623 times)

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
Urist you're supposed to pick that up!!
« on: November 06, 2010, 04:46:53 pm »

Basically my butcher's and brewers is COMPLETLY cluttered with skulls and bones, and seeds, respectively. And my dwarves are just ignoring it -.- . Is there some button that I pressed that's making them forget this stuff, or are they just too busy? And is there any way to set this as a higher priority?
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist you're supposed to pick that up!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 04:56:54 pm »

Do they have anywhere to put it?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 04:59:32 pm »

If you're out of food stockpile space, they may be waiting for more bags/an empty spot.

Also, have you disabled food/refuse hauling on any dwarves?

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:03:49 pm »

I have plenty of stockpile space. And I've disabled it on some but there's plenty to pick it up. I think I'm suffering from chronic 'Toomuchworkitus', a common syndrome in fortresses that cause your dwarves to do the jobs in the most inefficient way possible -.- . The problem I think I'm having is that there's just too much for my dwarves to handle...I need more migrants I suppose. But there's tons of refuse and stuff hanging about...

Speaking of which, under the o-r menu, which should the refuse to set to? If it's set to dump does it mean dump in a refuse pile or in a garbage dump? Then what does save mean? Just leave it where it is?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 05:11:38 pm »

The "save/dump" orders specify whether the items get stored in stockpiles or hauled to a garbage dump activity zone - way back in the old 2D versions, it caused them to be thrown into the chasm.

Is your butcher's shop outdoors? If so, do you have collection of outdoor refuse enabled?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 05:20:09 pm »

The "save/dump" orders specify whether the items get stored in stockpiles or hauled to a garbage dump activity zone - way back in the old 2D versions, it caused them to be thrown into the chasm.

Is your butcher's shop outdoors? If so, do you have collection of outdoor refuse enabled?

No it's inside and it has a refuse dump conveniently in the room next to it. My dwarves still hate me.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 09:43:59 pm »

Basically my butcher's and brewers is COMPLETLY cluttered with skulls and bones, and seeds, respectively. And my dwarves are just ignoring it -.- . Is there some button that I pressed that's making them forget this stuff, or are they just too busy? And is there any way to set this as a higher priority?

Try setting up new stockpiles for them to haul to, or delete and remake old ones.
Another trick would be to set a garbage zone nearby and set all of the items to dump, then just reclaim them; this would at least clear out your workshops. I've had food rot in my kitchen for two seasons with nobody moving it (large refuse pile right outside, outside refuse hauling enabled) until I ordered them to dump it.

As for the seeds, make sure you have plenty of bags and barrels. You may get dwarfs trying to move the seeds into an empty barrel in a wrong stockpile, only to have them haul it back to where they got it from. This will go on forever until you make more barrels/bags or dump the seeds.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!