Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: These Women Screwed Me Over  (Read 28355 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: This Women Screwed Me Over
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2010, 12:19:48 am »

Seriously though, he gave her the money. She can spend it as fast as she wants, on whatever she wants. Complaining that she did so is just silly.
I understand the point, but I disagree. Completely wasting it within a day or two indicates that she isn't responsible with it at all, and also possibly that she doesn't appreciate it enough to give its use any thought. That's speculation, obviously, but it's plausible.

He didn't say she wasted it, or indeed anything about her use of the money. As a gift, it's not necessary for her to be 'responsible with it'. However, I do agree that frittering it away is likely a comment on her view of the OP.

However, it's also interesting to consider the mindset of the OP in giving her such a large amount of money. I infer from the wording that it wasn't related to any special occasion gifting, so what is the protocol in doing that?
If done as a token of affection, it certainly doesn't suggest any level of affection. You don't give people money for caring about you.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2010, 12:20:05 am »

... Righto, time to ignore the troll.
...? I didn't disagree with you.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to alter oppressive behavior where we find it.
Yeah, like I said, go ahead. Satire would be the best for that, that's pretty much what it's best for. If you're afraid the discussion is getting too heated, crappy "tasteless" internet humor people know isn't to be taken seriously or literally is alright. Just don't do the straight-forward into the dirt arguing I normally get from rallied feminists who lump me into things I never did or don't concern me and I won't hate an angry feminist. (Yes, I like many have preconceived stereotypes from personal experiences).

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2010, 12:21:03 am »

Again, just to press that rationality and sentimental weakness hardly come hand in hand, and when you got a string of bad relation with women it's rather easy to do broad strokes. If he really liked the girl i'm pretty certain he still has residual feeling for her, and it's much easier to rage against a group of people 'without a face' than the girl he liked for the last monts.

So, what is your point?  That it's acceptable to do this because he was angry?

I don't think he's saying it's acceptable. I think he's saying it's understandable, and that it doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad person, even if it's a bad thing to do. I mean, Mysteriousbluepuppet is basically admitting that it wasn't a rational thing to do.

That. Sorry if i'm not perfectly clear, language barrier makes it hard to define what i want to say

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2010, 12:22:54 am »

Bah.  I'm not saying it's incomprehensible.  I, too, have said things like "I hate all people" without meaning it.  What it meant at the time was that a. I was very unhappy and b. it was easier to say nasty things and stay angry than to face the fact that I'm angry at only a handful of people.

Basically, it was immature of me, and I'm glad someone called me out on it.

No, I don't think the OP is a bad person, once more.  I still think the OP should avoid saying stuff like that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2010, 12:25:10 am »

Yeah, like I said, go ahead. Satire would be the best for that, that's pretty much what it's best for. If you're afraid the discussion is getting too heated, crappy "tasteless" internet humor people know isn't to be taken seriously or literally is alright. Just don't do the straight-forward into the dirt arguing I normally get from rallied feminists who lump me into things I never did or don't concern me and I won't hate an angry feminist. (Yes, I like many have preconceived stereotypes from personal experiences).

You're asking us to water down the discussion for you with boring overhashed memes?  Am I getting that right?

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2010, 12:27:32 am »

Bah.  I'm not saying it's incomprehensible.  I, too, have said things like "I hate all people" without meaning it.  What it meant at the time was that a. I was very unhappy and b. it was easier to say nasty things and stay angry than to face the fact that I'm angry at only a handful of people.

Basically, it was immature of me, and I'm glad someone called me out on it.

No, I don't think the OP is a bad person, once more.  I still think the OP should avoid saying stuff like that.

That's basically the same thing, since now he got about 5 pages oof people reminding him. I just get annoyed when people project unto others and forget that we are not automatons, and that it's pretty easy to do idiotic and irrationnal thoing when under emotions.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2010, 12:29:38 am »

Anyway, I hate women. Not in the "Ima go gai, kk?" kind of way, but in the way that they piss me off to the utmost extreme.

... I'm sorry that women have invoked your ire, but this is kind of inappropriate, don't you think?

This was the statement that started the whole rage/bigotry debate. It's a perfectly reasonable statement, it's not condemnation, she's not really attacking him, how did that spark a debate on the matter, anyway?

EDIT: More to the point, how did it lead to Vector apologizing for being "an angry feminist"? Sheesh.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:31:28 am by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2010, 12:34:17 am »

People love a good arguing match during the night ? :P

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2010, 12:38:23 am »

Guess so.

Anyway, Rex: I suggest blocking her from Facebook. You need to take your mind off of the hurt, and it sounds like her profile draws you in like a mosquito to the bug zapper. The last thing you want is to dwell on this.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2010, 12:49:20 am »

You're asking us to water down the discussion for you with boring overhashed memes?  Am I getting that right?
For Pete's sake, I just said she should use satire for what she intends. If she's to go with the urge to outright insult, make it a 'dur hur' boring overhashed meme. I hate straight forward arguments where it's some feminist trying to justify her means and apologize repeatedly for implying something slightly brash.  This is why I hate straight forward arguments, people always end up spending several pages repeatedly clarifying the same thing. I'd practice what I preach, but I'm just not witty enough.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2010, 12:51:41 am »

Nah, just getting used to the idea of being angry about things like that, and the idea that I can be angry without getting in trouble ^_^;;

Okay, no more apologies for fighting for the right thing :I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2010, 02:04:58 am »

For Pete's sake, I just said she should use satire for what she intends. If she's to go with the urge to outright insult, make it a 'dur hur' boring overhashed meme. I hate straight forward arguments where it's some feminist trying to justify her means and apologize repeatedly for implying something slightly brash.  This is why I hate straight forward arguments, people always end up spending several pages repeatedly clarifying the same thing. I'd practice what I preach, but I'm just not witty enough.

Not everybody makes points in the same manner or has to adhere to your personal tastes in argumentative styles.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2010, 02:28:21 am »

My S.O.P. of cutting down deadstand timber is offered here as well. Also stop following her on Facebook, you're just pouring vinegar on the wound. I recommend your next relationship be one with as little sex and as much honest fun as possible. Find a girl who considers herself more a gatekeeper to paradise than the ticket vendor at an amusement park.

Honestly, that's great advice right there.  The "gatekeeper to paradise" kind of people are much better than the "ticket vendor at an amusement park" kind of people.  I was kind of reluctant to post my advice of avoiding sex in the relationship, since this is the internet and I don't really want to be labeled a freak, but that is great advice.  It will force you to know the person for who they are, not what's going on underneath their clothing.

Edit:  I finished reading it through now, and lay off the OP d00ds.  I'm pretty sure he gets the picture now, hating women is a bad thing to do.  Now let's just be a welcoming community in which he can express his frustrations and receive (hopefully) good advice for future relationships.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:32:43 am by V-Norrec »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2010, 04:21:55 am »

I finished reading it through now, and lay off the OP d00ds.  I'm pretty sure he gets the picture now, hating women is a bad thing to do.  Now let's just be a welcoming community in which he can express his frustrations and receive (hopefully) good advice for future relationships.

Oh, for fuck's sake.  What I'm trying to say here is that this community is not welcoming to women because of bullcrap like this that gets paraded around like it's "normal."  Why?  Because we need to just let little Jimmy express himself and his frustrations.  Because there's a reason.  Because there's an excuse.  Because we can condone it.

All right.  Whatever.  I guess I might as well give up for now, since it's completely clear that I'm not going to make any headway.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2010, 04:24:53 am »

I think he's saying to lay off simply because the discussion has gotten past the OP himself and on to bigger/broader things (or because he doesn't understand that it has).

I think we're kind of beating a dead horse at this point, or at least I hope we are. I'm pretty sure everybody basically understands that the OP isn't necessarily a closet (or out-of-the-closet) sexist to any serious degree, that what he said was still wrong and shouldn't be considered normal, and that misogyny is bad and kind of widespread on the Internet and elsewhere and should be discouraged.

At least I hope we do.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23