Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: These Women Screwed Me Over  (Read 28274 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This Women Screwed Me Over
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2010, 04:26:51 am »

At least I hope we do.

Based on what he's saying about women who have less sex being "better people" than the ones who indulge more makes me think that we don't.

Whatever... I've been fighting this sort of thing for months, now, and I'm getting tired of it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:30:12 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2010, 04:28:11 am »

What who's saying? Also, I think you have a typo there, unless you intend for "less sex" to stand in contrast to "chaste" :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2010, 04:30:51 am »

What who's saying? Also, I think you have a typo there, unless you intend for "less sex" to stand in contrast to "chaste" :P

Whoops >_>

I'm referring to V-Norrec.  Reminds me of that horrible "master key vs. shitty lock" joke.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2010, 04:34:49 am »

Honestly, I think he's right about not rushing into sex though. Not rushing into anything sounds like good advice for this guy, and I don't think V-Norrec is being sexist by saying that.

The idea that sex is something that men do and women are receptive to is pretty goddamn socially toxic and absurd, but I think you're reading a bit of that into V-Norrec's post where it might not exist.

And hopefully, if he's saying that he prefers women who aren't promiscuous, he would apply the same standard to men as well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:37:01 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2010, 04:38:12 am »

Honestly, I think he's right about not rushing into sex though.

I agree that it is better for long-term relationships.  I do not think that women who have a lot of sex are worse than those who are "gatekeepers to paradise."  They are not worse people because they have sex.  They are not lesser beings.  They may not be who you want to date, but that does not make chaste women "better."

I'm really too tired to be arguing this, though, so perhaps I should just go to bed.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2010, 04:41:23 am »

I understand your point. To be fair, Nikov brought up the entire comparison, and we both know he's not exactly fair to anything that isn't a sexless-before-marriage, monogamous, heterosexual union in the eyes of God and blah blah blah.

The "gatekeeper to paradise" kind of people are much better than the "ticket vendor at an amusement park" kind of people.

Personally, I think these terms are just vague/loaded/emotional enough that we're probably interpreting them different ways. Granted, I think anyone who would think of themselves as a "gatekeeper to paradise" would have to be really, really, really full of themselves.

I think my benefit-of-the-doubt interpretation was something like: You're better off dating people who are less interesting in quick, easy fun with you and more interesting in something meaningful. But again, it was vague enough that I can definitely understand a different interpretation, and I'm not saying mine is correct or anything.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2010, 05:15:03 am »

You make good points, Vector, but I can't agree with you because some chick cut me off in traffic yesterday so I totally hate you now  :P

Anyway, I think undersexed people, men and women alike, are worse than average because all the frustration makes them mean.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2010, 05:30:37 am »

This is probably pretty pointless to say... I feel like a devil's advocate. Still:

It's very easy to make generalizations about people; to see them as The Other, a group who are the same in some negative way. This is true of folks who make generalizations about all women based on their own experiences with a handful of individuals. It's equally wrong to generalize that there's an air of sexist ass-hattery coming from the guys in this community... I may just not see it happen, but most of the folks I've seen talking here and elsewhere are pretty level-headed.

Don't let a few individuals who have some growing to do as people color your opinion of others. Deal with everyone on an individual level, and stop incensing parties against one another... not a good way to resolve a conflict, nor communicate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2010, 05:38:49 am »

... does anybody else reminisce of 80s sitcoms after reading this thread? in particular about how a minor incident has been blown out of proportion to try to insert an obvious moral?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:41:37 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2010, 06:03:48 am »

The thing is: the people attacking are attacking the statement, and the people defending are defending the person. This is why this entire argument isn't getting anywhere; you people are really arguing for different things. So let me clear this up.

The people saying bad things in anger aren't bad people, but the people who can control themselves not to say bad things are better people. These bad things should be avoided, and the anger should be vented elsewhere.
Everyone agree?

EDIT: Of course, this thread derailed into more than this, so it isn't entirely breaking up the argument. Carry on, then.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:16:46 am by Dwarf Midget »
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2010, 06:11:15 am »

You make good points, Vector, but I can't agree with you because some chick cut me off in traffic yesterday so I totally hate you now  :P

Anyway, I think undersexed people, men and women alike, are worse than average because all the frustration makes them mean.

I'm "undersexed" and I'm neither frustrated nor mean. I'd argue that, again, it's just an individual thing... maybe coupled with social pressures that suggest that how effective a human being you are can be judged by how many people fawn over or cling to you, or how much play you get.

Got to second the whole "Friendship > Sex" when new to a relationship, but that's only my personal priority list talking. Folks can go about their relationships however they want. The goal, as far as I can tell, is to find someone else who's looking for the same sort of things out of life, and if that's sex, then more power to them should they find someone looking for the same.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2010, 06:20:41 am »

You'd think that at this point in the thread, people would know not to paint with such broad, ignorant strokes.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2010, 06:36:27 am »

You'd think that at this point in the thread, people would know not to paint with such broad, ignorant strokes.

I know! God, it's like everyone on this forum generalizes everyone else!

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2010, 06:41:09 am »

Anyway, I think undersexed people, and who really want sex, men and women alike, are worse than average because all the frustration makes them mean.

I'm "undersexed" and I'm neither frustrated nor mean.

UNDERSTANDING YEY

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2010, 07:12:22 am »

All generalizations are untrue.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23