Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: These Women Screwed Me Over  (Read 28315 times)

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This Women Screwed Me Over
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 11:46:47 pm »

How she should react to it.

Sorry.  I'm not just going to lie down when people act this way.  It might be more pleasant for everyone involved if I did, but fuck it: it isn't right.  Many apologies for my offensive attitude, blah blah blah.

Completely right it's not something someone should say, and you are in the right to be offended when people do broad generalisation and you are in the targetted group ( or not, for that matter). But also, it happens to even the better of us. as long as it's a phase to cope with the loss it's at least excusable.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 11:47:15 pm »

You shouldn't apologize for defending your position. By all means, argue for what you think is right.

Yeah... thanks.  I keep apologizing because I know how much everyone hates an angry feminist ._.  But I'll try to keep things as sane as I can.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 11:52:22 pm »

How she should react to it.

Sorry.  I'm not just going to lie down when people act this way.  It might be more pleasant for everyone involved if I did, but fuck it: it isn't right.  Many apologies for my offensive attitude, blah blah blah.

Completely right it's not something someone should say, and you are in the right to be offended when people do broad generalisation and you are in the targetted group ( or not, for that matter). But also, it happens to even the better of us. as long as it's a phase to cope with the loss it's at least excusable.

I don't know that anybody here disagrees with that. I personally am not out to call the OP a "sexist", or anything like that. I just think it's a poor statement, it reflects poorly on him, and that he needs to be reminded that feeling that way isn't productive and needs to be put in check by himself and those around him.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 11:54:07 pm »

I don't know that anybody here disagrees with that. I personally am not out to call the OP a "sexist", or anything like that. I just think it's a poor statement, it reflects poorly on him, and that he needs to be reminded that feeling that way isn't productive and needs to be put in check by himself and those around him.

Quoted for truth.

I don't consider the OP a sexist.  It's a sexist comment, though.  My anger is directed toward the comment, not the OP himself.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 11:55:13 pm »

I'm in complete agreement with Vector and G-Flex that if you express your "momentary anger" in bigoted terms, you've definitely got some underlying issues.  That shit doesn't just come out of nowhere.
"Momentary anger" tends to make people lean towards bigoted things.

It makes bigoted people lean toward bigoted forms of expression.  There exist people who don't jump to "I hate <opposite sex>!" the moment their feelings get hurt, and there are also people who are smart enough to suppress their "momentary anger" instead of rationalizing it and seeking sympathy for it.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2010, 11:56:05 pm »

You shouldn't apologize for defending your position. By all means, argue for what you think is right.

Especially when what you think is right... is.

You're absolutely right, rage from any source doesn't justify generalizing against an entire group. Blah blah internet blah blah not serious blah blah no consequences, however one wants to defend the behavior, all I know is that if someone makes a politically incorrect statement like "Anyway, I hate women" in some sort of public setting outside of the internets, they more or less socially cripple themselves for a very long time and everything else they have to say becomes null and void.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2010, 11:57:10 pm »

Yeah... thanks.  I keep apologizing because I know how much everyone hates an angry feminist ._.  But I'll try to keep things as sane as I can.
Well, I was kind of hoping you could make it funny at least, but you'd probably find it as tasteless as G-Flex.

Let's all embrace temporary, casual bigotry in our daily lives as an alternative to growing the stones to stay calm under pressure.  Because immaturity will lead us to a more peaceful, egalitarian world.
OK sarcasm/satire. I'll take that if you prefer it over tasteless "internet formatted" jokes.

I don't think what he did was right or justified with the bigotry. I'm just not surprised he did. Bigotry and stress go hand in hand. Look up some studies, like the ties between economic/financial stress and racism. It's a fact of life.

Still feel free to protest though. As long as it amuses me, even if I don't agree, an angry feminist would be a nice touch around here.

if someone makes a politically incorrect statement like "Anyway, I hate women" in some sort of public setting outside of the internets, they more or less socially cripple themselves for a very long time and everything else they have to say becomes null and void.
That too. He may have the stones to be calm under pressure IRL. The internet is a horrid reflection of people IRL.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:59:11 pm by Ø »

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2010, 11:57:13 pm »

Fair enough. Anyway, id wager once all the hurt is under control he'll regret making those comment without thinking it trough, but i think most people could do the same mistakes given similar circumstances

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2010, 12:02:40 am »

I mean hell if we're going to talk sensible and rational rage wouldn't it make a lot more sense to focus your rage on the individual that slighted you rather than some group they happen to be a part of?

If someone steals your wallet, do you go take revenge on their siblings? If so, are you a dangerous person to be around?

All it would've taken is "Anyway, I hate this girl" instead of "Anyway, I hate women" and it would've gone from rage-fueled bigotry to just simple rage.
I can see it now.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2010, 12:04:49 am »

I don't think what he did was right or justified with the bigotry. I'm just not surprised he did. Bigotry and stress go hand in hand. Look up some studies, like the ties between economic/financial stress and racism. It's a fact of life.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to alter oppressive behavior where we find it.

Still feel free to protest though. As long as it amuses me, even if I don't agree, an angry feminist would be a nice touch around here.

... Righto, time to ignore the troll.

I mean hell if we're going to talk sensible and rational rage wouldn't it make a lot more sense to focus your rage on the individual that slighted you rather than some group they happen to be a part of?

If someone steals your wallet, do you go take revenge on their siblings? If so, are you a dangerous person to be around?

All it would've taken is "Anyway, I hate this girl" instead of "Anyway, I hate women" and it would've gone from rage-fueled bigotry to just simple rage.

Thank you.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2010, 12:11:02 am »

Again, just to press that rationality and sentimental weakness hardly come hand in hand, and when you got a string of bad relation with women it's rather easy to do broad strokes. If he really liked the girl i'm pretty certain he still has residual feeling for her, and it's much easier to rage against a group of people 'without a face' than the girl he liked for the last monts.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2010, 12:12:30 am »

Again, just to press that rationality and sentimental weakness hardly come hand in hand, and when you got a string of bad relation with women it's rather easy to do broad strokes. If he really liked the girl i'm pretty certain he still has residual feeling for her, and it's much easier to rage against a group of people 'without a face' than the girl he liked for the last monts.

So, what is your point?  That it's acceptable to do this because he was angry?

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2010, 12:14:48 am »

My only response to that is he said "I hate women" and then later goes "I'm sure it's just my fault and I don't want to point fingers, help me better myself". The man is rational enough to avoid being a bigot if he wants to, I think.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:16:42 am by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2010, 12:17:31 am »

So, what is your point?  That it's acceptable to do this because he was angry?

I don't think he's saying it's acceptable. I think he's saying it's understandable, and that it doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad person, even if it's a bad thing to do. I mean, Mysteriousbluepuppet is basically admitting that it wasn't a rational thing to do.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2010, 12:19:18 am »

Thats it's not an acceptable thing to do,but that does not automatically makes i'm a sexist, or gives im some kind of sexism issues, etc. Again, i completely agree that it's not the kind of thing that should be said,  I just get somewhat riled when people start giving intention to someone who is living under hard circumstances. Pretty certain he'll get back on his feet and feel ashamed of his speech, and if hes does come back to normal and still think the same, he will be up for a merited verbal smackdown.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23