Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: if DF is ever finished...  (Read 6698 times)

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if DF is ever finished...
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2010, 02:39:34 am »

Don't want to troll people but... DF finished... HAH! Maybe when I will retire or die out of old age (knowing my luck) ;).

Honestly though It will probably be a sweet sweet game.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2010, 03:29:05 am »

I actually hope it never is "finished". I hope it reaches 1.0, yeah, but I hope it develops beyond that point as well.

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2010, 08:03:35 am »

Although, in reality, this game's life depends on how long before the masses find out about it. Pacitularly the moral and anti-video game groups. This game wouldn't last a second.

I would love to see a self-righteous moral-freak pick up the game and be able to play it long enough to get to a part with Unfortunate Accidents and Fun.

Guys, seriously, why the hate?  I mean sure, the anti-video game people are their own little brand of crazy, but lumping in all 'moral' groups with that is a little strong, huh?  You're acting like the very stereotypes you mock.

DF already makes money.  Toady gets ~2-4K in donations every month and April this year saw $16,104.49 of donations from the release of the long awaited DF2010, although this is highly anomalous.  While Toady isn't as well off as he could be, he has made a gross income of $41,054.23 this year, so far.  The projected median income for 2010, in the state of Washington (I did make an assumption regarding which Washington Toady lives in, I might have gotten it wrong.) is, for comparison, $55,379.

Just mentioning, that's not a lot of money as far as visionary design and programing goes.  I'm rather sure he could make more money working for any number of gaming corps, even in a minor position.  Labors of love are costly, and I respect that, but I also feel for him in terms of the bottom line.  Someday he will need to make Dwarf Fortress commercial, and I understand that.  It's not like I don't spend enough money on far inferior games.
First of all even if they found out, what could they do? get wal-mart to ban it? Oh wait, IT isn't in wal-mart anyway. Call us horrible people for playing it? It'd probably be taken as a compliment and someone would link the mermaid harvesting thread. They can't do much of anything.

And why would he need to go commercial? He's done fine for years, this is his hobby from what I've heard.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2010, 12:42:32 pm »

Oh-Kaaayy.....  This thread is officially at the "Troll walking towards magma trap" level...  Let's make sure it dosn't get there.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2010, 01:47:26 pm »

Although, in reality, this game's life depends on how long before the masses find out about it. Pacitularly the moral and anti-video game groups. This game wouldn't last a second.

I would love to see a self-righteous moral-freak pick up the game and be able to play it long enough to get to a part with Unfortunate Accidents and Fun.

Guys, seriously, why the hate?  I mean sure, the anti-video game people are their own little brand of crazy, but lumping in all 'moral' groups with that is a little strong, huh?  You're acting like the very stereotypes you mock.

DF already makes money.  Toady gets ~2-4K in donations every month and April this year saw $16,104.49 of donations from the release of the long awaited DF2010, although this is highly anomalous.  While Toady isn't as well off as he could be, he has made a gross income of $41,054.23 this year, so far.  The projected median income for 2010, in the state of Washington (I did make an assumption regarding which Washington Toady lives in, I might have gotten it wrong.) is, for comparison, $55,379.

Just mentioning, that's not a lot of money as far as visionary design and programing goes.  I'm rather sure he could make more money working for any number of gaming corps, even in a minor position.  Labors of love are costly, and I respect that, but I also feel for him in terms of the bottom line.  Someday he will need to make Dwarf Fortress commercial, and I understand that.  It's not like I don't spend enough money on far inferior games.
First of all even if they found out, what could they do? get wal-mart to ban it? Oh wait, IT isn't in wal-mart anyway. Call us horrible people for playing it? It'd probably be taken as a compliment and someone would link the mermaid harvesting thread. They can't do much of anything.

And why would he need to go commercial? He's done fine for years, this is his hobby from what I've heard.

I think you missed the point of what I was saying involving the moral/game question.  I was objecting to the casual lumping together of anti-gaming groups and 'moral' people in general.

As to the second case, this may be Toady's hobby, and more power to him, but his work is worth money, and he is talented enough that he should be able to do this full-time eventually.  I would expect Toady to take this commercial because he has a right to earn money for a game of this quality.  If he doesn't, that is his choice, but it would be a pity.  Think of how much more development could be done if Toady didn't have to spend his time on other things?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2010, 02:11:00 pm »

Oh my...
I thought everyone on these fora knew Toady works FULL-TIME on Dwarf Fortress. He works ceaselessly about 14 hours/day, sometimes without any resting for months.

Dwarf Fortress IS Toady's job.

He is a superhuman.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2010, 02:15:11 pm »

I think the moral gaurdians/ media watchdogs are what was meant.

There are tons of reasons why it wouldn't likely go commercial, There was a thread about it a while back when someone asked why toady doesn't try to get industry support.

• It has a learning curve made by chthulu.
  • A small(Yes we are small) base of devoted fans can't support such a thing. You'd need all of those casual players.
  • And most importantly, the game has hundreds, probably even thousands of copies floating around on peoples computers. Someone somewhere will decide to just give it to a friend for free. It will spread and there goes the little revenue you would get from newcomers.
  • Finally if DF became a "job" for toady, He would not be able to set his own schedule, Forcing him to release even when it's not ready if he wants his food paid. A few set-backs could destroy a whole release.(In the too buggy to be played effectively sense)

It just seems better to keep the donation system, Speaking of which how does someone get a paypal account?

Oh my...
I thought everyone on these fora knew Toady works FULL-TIME on Dwarf Fortress. He works ceaselessly about 14 hours/day, sometimes without any resting for months.

Dwarf Fortress IS Toady's job.

He is a superhuman.
Wait I thought he was a math teacher?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2010, 02:25:44 pm »

I believe he has a degree in maths, but left his math job to make dwarf fortress.
*Hugs*

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2010, 02:36:16 pm »

I believe he has a degree in maths, but left his math job to make dwarf fortress.
Yeah, almost 4 years ago.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2010, 03:05:55 pm »

Yeah, almost 4 years ago.
Whoa, I must be worse with time than I thought...

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2010, 03:07:09 pm »

So he's living on donations or what? I didn't knew that. Wish i would have a credit card.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2010, 03:14:13 pm »

Yeah, I finally got around to just setting up a subscription for Toady.  I want him to be successful, and is now by far one of my favorite developers.  The fact that he DOESNT charge a fee for his game makes me want to support him even more.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2010, 03:49:33 pm »

Now I really feel guilty for not having donated yet... :'(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]