Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: if DF is ever finished...  (Read 6706 times)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Re: if DF is ever finished...
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 05:38:53 pm »

LoSboccacc, I play Halo, CoD, and Gears of War!  >:(
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 05:40:57 pm »

Youd've had no training.

You are but a peasant after all. The guardsmen would rip you in twain.
Which is why you and the other miners teach yourself pickaxe-based martial arts and dig into the castle under cover of night.
Simon the miner! Stand proudly! Yours is the pick that shall pierce the heavens! (and a whole lotta rock, metal, flesh and bone on its way there)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 05:43:19 pm »

Although, in reality, this game's life depends on how long before the masses find out about it. Pacitularly the moral and anti-video game groups. This game wouldn't last a second.

They can't get him to stop making it because he's not charging people for the game. He accepts donations, but overall it's a completely free game. Also, the thing I love about text-based games is that intelligent, imaginative people like me love them, while boring, idiotic people like the ones who play Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War, don't. As long as the game requires thought, the commercial gaming industry will not be interested in it. Especially with the complexity. Nowadays in console gaming (it's been seeping into PC gaming, too), every game has to be utterly dumbed down so the previously mentioned people who play Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War have the attention span and ability to pay top dollar to play it.
While I agree with your assesment of call of duty and gears of war I challenge you to go to forgehub and say that halo 3 forging does not require patience and attention to detail. Not every map is a master piece, but the ones that are? like the guy who made a working two way elevator. Out of the miscelaneous walls and junk that bungie saw fit to give players.

It's nowwhere close to dwarf fortress but it is a whole other world away from mindlesss shooting.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 06:11:34 pm »

Although, in reality, this game's life depends on how long before the masses find out about it. Pacitularly the moral and anti-video game groups. This game wouldn't last a second.

They can't get him to stop making it because he's not charging people for the game. He accepts donations, but overall it's a completely free game. Also, the thing I love about text-based games is that intelligent, imaginative people like me love them, while boring, idiotic people like the ones who play Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War, don't. As long as the game requires thought, the commercial gaming industry will not be interested in it. Especially with the complexity. Nowadays in console gaming (it's been seeping into PC gaming, too), every game has to be utterly dumbed down so the previously mentioned people who play Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War have the attention span and ability to pay top dollar to play it.
Hey, I love Halo!
And GoW is great as well!
And CoD may or may not suck! I have no idea!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 06:44:03 pm »

today i read something interesting.

Eight years.

only two left, he he he

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 06:54:29 pm »

Is there a link to the list of wanted achievements.
Everybody!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 07:05:15 pm »

most likelly was in the old site, along with the videos everyone is commenting on

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 07:40:31 pm »

Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 07:53:44 pm »

Oh-Kaaayy.....  This thread is officially at the "Troll walking towards magma trap" level...  Let's make sure it dosn't get there.

And really, even people who generally object to mindless violence in video games can get something out of this game.  I for instance go on crusades to clense the lands of damn dirty elves the forces of darkness, and only go on killing rampages when they forget to pay me.

And also, DF's ASCII graphics actually serve as a measure of protection from anti-violence protestors -who's ever heard of a law prohibiting the sale of violent books to minors?  It's the fact that the violence is graphic, actually displayed on the screen that makes it more disturbing (and therefore a target of activists).  After all, if you say "the part flies off in a bloody arc" then someone who isn't a horror junkie or a soldier will probably picture something quite a bit less bloody than how however many red pixels you can fit in a tight space.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 12:37:04 am »

Then it would make money, if toady so wished.

DF already makes money.  Toady gets ~2-4K in donations every month and April this year saw $16,104.49 of donations from the release of the long awaited DF2010, although this is highly anomalous.  While Toady isn't as well off as he could be, he has made a gross income of $41,054.23 this year, so far.  The projected median income for 2010, in the state of Washington (I did make an assumption regarding which Washington Toady lives in, I might have gotten it wrong.) is, for comparison, $55,379.

Back on topic, when Dwarf Fortress is complete, Adventure Mode will be able to compete with the likes of Nethack, Angband and Stone Soup.  Speaking of which, I saw Dwarf Fortress on this list while thinking of decent roguelikes to compare it to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_roguelike_video_games
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:39:59 am by calrogman »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 12:55:35 am »

Even at this point you really can't compare it to many other roguelikes, it's focused on exploring the world and it's detailed combat, Nethack and the others you listed are about their tactical combat and dungeon crawling.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 02:38:48 am »

I would love to see a self-righteous moral-freak pick up the game and be able to play it long enough to get to a part with Unfortunate Accidents and Fun.

Guys, seriously, why the hate?  I mean sure, the anti-video game people are their own little brand of crazy, but lumping in all 'moral' groups with that is a little strong, huh?  You're acting like the very stereotypes you mock.

DF already makes money.  Toady gets ~2-4K in donations every month and April this year saw $16,104.49 of donations from the release of the long awaited DF2010, although this is highly anomalous.  While Toady isn't as well off as he could be, he has made a gross income of $41,054.23 this year, so far.  The projected median income for 2010, in the state of Washington (I did make an assumption regarding which Washington Toady lives in, I might have gotten it wrong.) is, for comparison, $55,379.

Just mentioning, that's not a lot of money as far as visionary design and programing goes.  I'm rather sure he could make more money working for any number of gaming corps, even in a minor position.  Labors of love are costly, and I respect that, but I also feel for him in terms of the bottom line.  Someday he will need to make Dwarf Fortress commercial, and I understand that.  It's not like I don't spend enough money on far inferior games.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 07:14:52 am »

LoSboccacc, I play Halo, CoD, and Gears of War!  >:(

....aaand?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2010, 02:35:07 pm »

Well after 3 time erasing what i was supposed to send first due to my angryness toward company.... I say that df now have presece in the world bigguest game ever made world of warcraft, and we are still in alpha, thats my first, my second is the game have presence in every single forum talking about ascii or roguelike game. Third i dont know a lot of game with easily modable file. Fourth well, not a single game on earth wil be able to hit the ankle of df once its done ( and the list goes on and on )
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2010, 02:25:09 am »

If dwarf fortress is ever finished, the sheer awesomeness of this game will envelope your life, engulfing you into an instantaneous generation of an epic story on par with LOTR or WoT or something.

I seriously cannot even fathom a game with everything in the dev log checked off... i... my brain... eww.. blood is starting to come out of my nose hole.

This thread is where aneurysms come from.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4