Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: if DF is ever finished...  (Read 6686 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: if DF is ever finished...
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 10:20:53 pm »

Actually, I think that the only 3D graphics that look any better than DF's ASCII would have to be holograms.  I just don't find 3D worth the extra CPU cycles that would better be used to calculate the magma flows I made in an Elven resort...  :P

Besides, lack of litteral graphics means that you put in whatever you think something would look like -the same advantage books have over movies.  And which would you rather have: something that only a few people thinks looks cool, or something that everyone who's imagination hasn't been stunted by watching too much TV thinks looks cool (because they imagine cool things and put them in where lame 3d graphics would otherwise go).

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 01:09:16 am »

...It would be a God among worms.
And Toady would be the one who created it.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 02:03:31 am »

Have you ever noticed that a single person (Toady) makes the whole game?
Maybe it's not a human after all......maybe someone INDEED created an AI capable of developing DF?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:34:22 am by Miko19 »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 02:13:24 am »

Have you ever noticed that a single person (Toady) makes the whole mod?
Maybe it's not a human after all......maybe someone INDEED created an AI capable of developing DF?

what are you smoking?

DF isn't a mod.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 09:34:45 am »

Have you ever noticed that a single person (Toady) makes the whole mod?

what are you smoking?

DF isn't a mod.
Uhhh, nothing, Mistah Bob Marley *hides the ganja in his pocket*

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 10:15:59 am »

Although, in reality, this game's life depends on how long before the masses find out about it. Pacitularly the moral and anti-video game groups. This game wouldn't last a second.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 10:29:49 am »

You can't keep a good game down. KZ Manager for example.
*Hugs*

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 10:30:22 am »

Although, in reality, this game's life depends on how long before the masses find out about it. Pacitularly the moral and anti-video game groups. This game wouldn't last a second.

I would love to see a self-righteous moral-freak pick up the game and be able to play it long enough to get to a part with Unfortunate Accidents and Fun.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 11:38:05 am »

I would love to see a self-righteous moral-freak pick up the game and be able to play it long enough to get to a part with Unfortunate Accidents and Fun.

Or the HFS. With all them clowns, he'll freak!
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 02:43:56 pm »

They can't get him to stop making it because he's not charging people for the game. He accepts donations, but overall it's a completely free game. Also, the thing I love about text-based games is that intelligent, imaginative people like me love them, while boring, idiotic people like the ones who play Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War, don't. As long as the game requires thought, the commercial gaming industry will not be interested in it. Especially with the complexity. Nowadays in console gaming (it's been seeping into PC gaming, too), every game has to be utterly dumbed down so the previously mentioned people who play Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War have the attention span and ability to pay top dollar to play it.

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 03:19:36 pm »

...what can you think Adventure mode would be like? Not sure what it would be like seeing as I haven't played it much (due to the fact 0.31.16 Adventure mode is broken, much to my dismay.). How horfric evil sinful eye bleaching fun would it be?

will be a super boring medieval life simulator
you'll have to get up eight in the morning, go to the mine, dig up a few stone, 6 days a week. the seventh you'll have to build a tiny section of the huge castle of the local landlord, working for bread and a bit of soup, while getting older and older.

maybe, after a dozen generation, you'll have saved up enough for a rusty dagger, so that one of your son may work as an adventurer on one of the successive plays. maybe. if no war comes and destroy everything you got.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 05:21:30 pm »

...what can you think Adventure mode would be like? Not sure what it would be like seeing as I haven't played it much (due to the fact 0.31.16 Adventure mode is broken, much to my dismay.). How horfric evil sinful eye bleaching fun would it be?

you'll have to get up eight in the morning, go to the mine, dig up a few stone, 6 days a week. the seventh you'll have to build a tiny section of the huge castle of the local landlord, working for bread and a bit of soup, while getting older and older.

maybe, after a dozen generation, you'll have saved up enough for a rusty dagger, so that one of your son may work as an adventurer on one of the successive plays. maybe. if no war comes and destroy everything you got.

How is that boring?! I'd go and throw bricks at said landlord until his head or some vital organ is completely mangled then steal all of his money to fund the weapons and armor I'll buy to go out adventurin'.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:23:11 pm by Duelmaster409 »
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 05:26:03 pm »

Youd've had no training.

You are but a peasant after all. The guardsmen would rip you in twain.
Everybody!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 05:28:58 pm »

He either is a novice in sarcasm or is trolling, either way it will never become that way unless you "Play now!".
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 05:38:36 pm »

And what exactly would possess toady to make the game boring? He's certainly not catering to a fan base that think they're entitled to something. He's only going to do what he wants, what is entertaining, or at least make the undesirably complex or un-enjoyably realistic parts optional.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4