Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: if DF is ever finished...  (Read 6692 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
if DF is ever finished...
« on: November 06, 2010, 03:17:18 pm »

...what can you think Adventure mode would be like? Not sure what it would be like seeing as I haven't played it much (due to the fact 0.31.16 Adventure mode is broken, much to my dismay.). How horfric evil sinful eye bleaching fun would it be?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: if DF is ever finished...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 03:26:14 pm »

More than any game, or simply anything, ever created

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 03:37:54 pm »

I dunno, but when the current devlist is finished it's going to look suspiciously like an ASCII Elder Scrolls game.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 04:06:06 pm »

You stab the baron of U,ugli in the head whilst dodging five arrows shot by 2 elves... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Your hit maims the baron.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 04:47:19 pm »

Well, I guess it will be similar to..............
I have no fucking idea what it will be similar like.
But the elves will bleed.
:D
>:D

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 04:58:03 pm »

I dunno, but when the current devlist is finished it's going to look suspiciously like an ASCII Elder Scrolls game.
In it's current, 31.17, state it looks better than an Elder Scroll game.
If it's finished, it will be the greatest and most in-depth game created ever (by a single person, to add).
Why is that? One simple reason: Absolutely EVERYTHING will always be different than it was before, since all quests, lands, people, even some monsters, will (some are now) be randomly generated, meaning that no two persons will EVER see the same quest, person or a town. Unless they share their saves :P

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 05:03:08 pm »

This is the best ASCI thing ever. Perhaps the best game ever. Becasue it's being constantly built upon.
Even .17 sounds infinately better than .16. It's just got so much variety.

As it's always being built on and improved, I almost forget there is a goal.

I need to figure out how tilesets work.
Or get stonesense to work.

Mind you, it's not that much of a problem.

Sorry, I can't remember why i'm posting other than to say DF IS THE AWSOMEST THING EVER.
Everybody!

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 05:24:05 pm »

When DF is finished, the boundaries between Adventurer, Fortress and Legends mode will cease to be.
Imagine, if you will, a man. He decides to be a hero, and he commits deeds that are sung of for centuries. Eventually, he strikes down a demon that is subjugating the people of a kingdom, and in payment, is offered the hand of the king's daughter in marriage. He rules wisely and fairly, and during his rule the kingdom flourishes like no other, with great monuments erected to honor the gods, peace reigns and all is well.
In time, he dies. You press escape to return to the title screen, rather than take control of the next ruler.

Time passes. Centuries later, the rulers of the kingdom have gained an inflated sense of self-importance, and are expanding agressively, slaughtering all who dare stand before them.
You smile.
Time for a new hero to rise.

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 05:46:02 pm »

When DF is finished, the boundaries between Adventurer, Fortress and Legends mode will cease to be.
Imagine, if you will, a man. He decides to be a hero, and he commits deeds that are sung of for centuries. Eventually, he strikes down a demon that is subjugating the people of a kingdom, and in payment, is offered the hand of the king's daughter in marriage. He rules wisely and fairly, and during his rule the kingdom flourishes like no other, with great monuments erected to honor the gods, peace reigns and all is well.
In time, he dies. You press escape to return to the title screen, rather than take control of the next ruler.

Time passes. Centuries later, the rulers of the kingdom have gained an inflated sense of self-importance, and are expanding agressively, slaughtering all who dare stand before them.
You smile.
Time for a new hero to rise.

The ability to 'continue worldgen' would be a very nice option, yes, for either case. Rocking description, btw.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 05:54:27 pm »

When Dwarf Fortress is finished, it will be unlike anything we know, other things will be like Dwarf Fortress, in fact, saying something is like Dwarf Fortress will mean nothing, as everything in the world will be like Dwarf Fortress.
*Hugs*

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 08:25:32 pm »

If the entire dev list is completed, it would be the single greatest video game in history. Maybe not for the number of people who play it or how much money it makes, but certainly for how much it's users enjoy it.

I certainly look forward to the future mixture of dwarf and adventure mode, no part of the future is as bright as the sunset over a city built of your own hands and those of your loyal followers, viewed from your mountain fortress' grand balcony.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 08:40:08 pm »

DF will never be finished.  It's sheer nature is that it is ever-expanding, never stopping.  The closest it can ever come will be if Toady programs an AI that can continually program in new features on a supercomputer somewhere.

But seriously, DF has the potential to become the first program EVER to crack the Turing Test by being so complex that it's almost impossible to tell whether what happens next was randomly generated or a set plot written by a professional author.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 08:49:26 pm »

Then it would make money, if toady so wished.
Everybody!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 10:04:59 pm »

I would think that their would be a hoard of keel features. Like the ability to completely create your character your head to foot. Or the ability to comit homocide and get away for free. Or 3d grahics... at second thought, that would mean the rating companys would have to come up with a whole new rating for it. Not even AO (adults only) would fit it. Its far too "special" for that.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 10:07:56 pm »

And your compy would be torn asunder by the crawling flames.
Everybody!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4