Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting a fight with another race?  (Read 994 times)

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting a fight with another race?
« on: November 06, 2010, 10:01:28 am »

So I've built a few levels, everyone's happy, the fortress is stocked up with everything I ever need and I've found caverns but no monsters.

What is the easiest and quickest way to start a fight with another race? What can I then expect from them? My military is reasonably well established. Can I take them out to fight the enemy or what? Just want to do something interesting with my fortress as the game doesn't really offer much in the way of challenge once you're established. You have to use your imagination. Considering I built an entire level into one big mega-trap-death-kill zone that any beasts from beneath have to get through, I'm fairly safe from downstairs, but I've left my doors wide open to let any enemy come straight in. Will they do this? I have no idea what to expect.

Cheers!

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a fight with another race?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:09:20 am »

You're not being attacked by goblins?

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 10:11:58 am »

Should I be? :)

The only bad thing to happen was a Hydra got into my administration block and killed most of my top men before my death squads managed to run from the industrial sector and smash it.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 10:16:25 am »

Did you embark on an island? The goblins might not be able to reach you. Have you had thieves? Have you had caravans from other races?
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 10:19:59 am »

All that good stuff, not on an island, middle of the map with plenty of other locations not too far away. Had humans, dorfs and elves all show up and sell me their wares. I'm quite renowned for the sheer amount of crap I have to sell to any caravan that can take it all.

Just no real enemy. Thus wondering if it's time to make some out of friends.

SineHacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:40:11 am »

Elves.

can you still seize their goods when they come to trade? that ought to piss em off some  ;D

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 10:42:30 am »

Sounds like an idea. I've read on the Wiki that if I cause enough aggro they should siege me annually. Is this right?

Is stealing stuff guaranteed to work or should I just kill them all? If I'm going to start this I want to start it right. :)

Just dissapointed no real bad guys have shown up. :(

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 10:48:52 am »

If youve not seen kobold or goblin thieves by now you can probably safely say they aint coming. (either dead in world gen or not neighbours)   Butchering a caravan or two oughta sort things out.

Regarding your entrance.  If there is a valid path to your dwarves then yes hostiles will take it.  If there is no path (bridge up, doors they cant nick/open/destyroy) then they generally skulk about outside and ambush caravans/migrants till a route becomes available

Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:50:53 am »

Okay, thanks for the heads up guys. I've just stationed my forces at the Trade Depot to give a warm reception to the next caravan to arrive. :) I'll let you know how it goes.

SineHacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 10:54:29 am »

sweet, my fortress was getting a bit quiet as well, but i just managed to mine down to some caverns, setting up a little guard post now :)

SineHacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 11:14:18 am »

poop a giant bat just killed two legendary dwarves!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 12:15:48 pm »

Two comments:

- Are you not getting forgotten beasts? I'm assuming you have INVADERS:ON in the init settings and that this is v0.31.xx not 40d. How many caverns have you breached? Have you even encountered the magma deep down?

- If you really really want some enemies to fight, dig way down. To the bottom of the map (to the point where the camera can't go lower in z-levels). That'll get you some enemies.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 08:47:39 am »

I've got Magma and all sorts of good stuff, found lots of caverns and have excavated them all, they're more or less empty.

Last night I was about to start attacking caravans when a Hydra rocked up. Got all excited, crashed out the military but my 40 odd war dogs were all over him like a tramp on chips. The worst thing to come up from down below was a Cave Crocodile which got stomped on in quick order.

I just don't seem to be getting any attention. :(

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 11:49:47 am »

I've got Magma and all sorts of good stuff, found lots of caverns and have excavated them all, they're more or less empty.

Last night I was about to start attacking caravans when a Hydra rocked up. Got all excited, crashed out the military but my 40 odd war dogs were all over him like a tramp on chips. The worst thing to come up from down below was a Cave Crocodile which got stomped on in quick order.

I just don't seem to be getting any attention. :(

If you want a starting embark, you can one of my old saves. Got ambushed by goblins thrice in two years, the last two I got ambushed and drove them off, then 5 thieves tried to enter my fortress while my military was away, then a second ambush appeared right outside my fortress entrance and tried to kill all of my civilians while my military was chasing the kobolds away. Six casualties in all, four unlucky civilians and two archers that ran out of bolts; I don't even know how many war dogs/kitties were killed.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!