Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making firearms - a few questions.  (Read 1525 times)

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making firearms - a few questions.
« on: November 06, 2010, 09:09:13 am »

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ARQUEBUS]
[NAME:arquebus:arquebuses]
[SIZE:700]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:ARQUEBUS_BALL] <- Can I make a new skill for long arms? If not, I'll have to do with crossbow skill.
[SHOOT_FORCE:13608] <- I'm assuming the equation is VELOCITY = FORCE/(SIZE*DENSITY). Blowguns have 100/(10*500(wood), so for three times the velocity with a lead ball, I need 20*11340*3=13608. Did I mess up somewhere?
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:3000] <- this is based on blowguns (maxvel 1000) having a muzzle velocity of 250 fps, where the arquebus has ~750. Not sure about the truth of these numbers, nor am I sure of the actual velocity blowgun darts reach in flight in-game (is it 1000?).
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:15000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:4000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:1250]

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARQUEBUS_BALLS]
[NAME:arquebus ball:arquebus balls]
[CLASS:ARQUEBUS_BALL]
[SIZE:20] <- this is based on an arquebus being caliber .80, whereas blowguns tend to be .40
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:50:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:1000] <- can't remember how attack size works. What's the second number? *e* I think I remember: it's penetration depth, right? Gonna up it a bit.
Well, once I set it to EDGE 20:2000, it suddenly got a bit more deadly. Gonna check out if it works on armor.
*e2* Lead balls glance harmlessly off iron breastplates. Steel ones are far more unpleasant.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:50:27 am by NinjaE8825 »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Making firearms - a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:53:45 am »

From what I could gather in my research into creating something broadly similar, SHOOT_FORCE is what affects muzzle velocity, whilst SHOOT_MAXVEL is effectively a cap on reload time; the 'legendary marksdwarves fire off half a dozen bolts before the first has landed' bug was fixed by forcing them to wait until it hits either the target or the ground before loosing another.
The numbers in the last line represent width, length and some kind of velocity modifier; don't remember exactly how that works, but it's probably a good idea to leave it be. I would suggest equalising width and length unless you've got a specific reason not to, and .80-calibre seems a bit large to me.

And finally, if you'll sort out all the issues with the weapon itself, I'll sort the necessary steps to create powder and shot.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 10:35:00 am »

Found this in the Item_Weapon RAW

"The format is ATTACK:EDGE/BLUNT:contact area:penetration size:verb2nd:verb3rd:noun:velocity multiplier"
Making it EDGE:20:20 means it doesn't penetrate to any depth whatsoever (won't even break the skin on a naked dwarf), since there's no way for it to make a hole in the target that's bigger than the bullet itself. Makes sense, since that doesn't really happen with the non-firearm weapons that the system is designed to work with. :/

I went with a calibre .80 because it's easy to math with when (presumably calibre .40) blowgun darts are size 10. As far as I can tell, arquebuses ranged from calibre .60 to .85 - I figured dwarves would prefer the big version. :p

Also, found this in the Crossbow RAW

"[SHOOT_MAXVEL:100]  This is just to make sure a near-weightless object doesn't go faster than the string could possibly go."
Which doesn't sound like a limit on reload speed to me.
Might this be because I'm using a slightly old version (2010 second release)?
*e* tested just now - dwarf with MAXVEL 100 xbow shot just as fast as MAXVEL 3000 arquebusier. Gonna download not-terribly-ancient version and try in that.
*e2*  In 31.16, seems like the arquebus is actually slower than the crossbow. This is not a bad thing. :3

As for making some shot/powder reactions, I'd be delighted if you would! :3
Personally, I was just gonna have the alchemist's workshop make the balls, and abstract away the powder for now. If you want to make somehting more complex, though, that'd be sweet.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:06:50 am by NinjaE8825 »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 11:07:41 am »

You could well be right; there haven't been any systematic tests of the effect of altering that tag yet, so we're operating largely on guesswork at this point.

And the reaction for gunpowder's easy enough; seven parts saltpeter, two parts brimstone and one part charcoal to create ten sacks of gunpowder, plus fuel. I planned to create a 'gunstone' object (usable as ammunition in less powerful spring-powered airguns for the elves) and combine a hundred of them with one bag of gunpowder and a bolt of cloth -or paper when that comes in- to create a 'cartridge' ammunition type. I'm still working on a reaction for creating saltpeter, as I want to use swamp whiskey as a stand-in for aged urine but I'm not sure if it's possible to use alcohol in reactions yet.
It's ungainly, but it's the best compromise between realism, balance and the game engine that I could come up with.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:00:35 pm »

Sounds about right - may I suggest you call the finished product something short like "arquebus shot" (made from arquebus balls*, powder and cloth), because anything longer is gonna be hell to read through in report mode
"The flying *lead ready-packed arquebus shot* strikes you in the throat - it is crushed!"

Anyways, gonna work on implementing this in fortress mode - porbably only gonna let goblins and dwarves have 'em, by default.

*I'd suggest already differentiating between various kinds of balls at the smithy's - make lead pistol balls, make lead arquebus balls, make lead musket ball etc., though that might be needlessly complicated.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:10:09 pm »

And the reaction for gunpowder's easy enough; seven parts saltpeter, two parts brimstone and one part charcoal to create ten sacks of gunpowder, plus fuel. I planned to create a 'gunstone' object (usable as ammunition in less powerful spring-powered airguns for the elves) and combine a hundred of them with one bag of gunpowder and a bolt of cloth -or paper when that comes in- to create a 'cartridge' ammunition type. I'm still working on a reaction for creating saltpeter, as I want to use swamp whiskey as a stand-in for aged urine but I'm not sure if it's possible to use alcohol in reactions yet.
It's ungainly, but it's the best compromise between realism, balance and the game engine that I could come up with.
For saltpeter, couldn't you use the stone (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Saltpeter) to make a reaction that creates a more numerous, but technically saltpeter item(s), or use the stone itself?

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 01:30:27 pm »

Hm, okay - thus far, you can make arquebuses and have your dwarves equip them. He also picked up a chimp leather quiver, but didn't touch any of the arquebus balls I'd made - not sure why.
Anywho, apparently it's made out of wood in the bowyer's shop also - I assume it's because it uses CROSSBOWMAN skill. I'm assuming there's no way to make a new skill. Oh well. Anyone know if there's a way to make sure they're only made from metal? It's not the METAL tag, I tried.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 01:43:47 pm »

I believe it's made from a wood at a bowyer's workshop because it's a ranged weapon. If you don't want it to work that way, remove it as an item from the dwarves' entity, create a custom workshop, create a custom reaction to produce arquebus at that workshop, then add the workshop and the reaction to the dwarves' entity. That should produce the result you want. Also, while you can't make a new skill, you can use the unused alchemy skill as the basis of the arquebus, then alter the dwarven entity so "alchemists" are called "gundwarves".
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 02:02:00 pm »

Figured it might be something like that - thanks for saving me the trouble. ^_^
Alchemist skill will probably be needed for making gunpowder, and having it use crossbowdwarf skill will probably also have it work with archery ranges, so I'll stick with that for now.

Anywho, quickly put in a pistol and tried it out - 1-handed firing seems to work fine. Antmen CAN have a sword in one hand, shield in another, pistol in yet another and their ammo in the last one. NPC's won't use their melee weapons so long as they have ammo, though.
*e* Hm, spoke too soon. Apparently, it considers you to either be armed with the pistol, in which case you CAN shoot but cannot attack with your sword, or it thinks you have your sword and you can't shoot. Oh well. Gun and shield works perfectly.
*e2* YOU CAN DODGE BULLETS. Hee.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:12:52 pm by NinjaE8825 »

IronVanguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 02:42:34 pm »

Once you're done, I'd sure like to see the raws you're using.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 03:24:59 pm »

Aber natürlich! :3

Here's what I'm currently using;

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ARQUEBUS]
[NAME:arquebus:arquebuses]
[SIZE:700]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:ARQUEBUS_BALL]
[SHOOT_FORCE:13608]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:3000]
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:15000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:4000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:1250]

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARQUEBUS_BALLS]
[NAME:arquebus ball:arquebus balls]
[CLASS:ARQUEBUS_BALL]
[SIZE:20]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:2000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:1000]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PISTOL]
[NAME:pistol:pistols]
[SIZE:200]
[SKILL:STRIKER]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:PISTOL_BALL]
[SHOOT_FORCE:7000] <- Pulled right out of my arse. If anyone has any idea of the muzzle velocity of a ~16th c. matchlock pistol, feel free to speak up.
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:3000]
[TWO_HANDED:27500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5000] Same size as a Large Dagger - seems about right, to me. Kobolds can use them two-handed, which is horribly cute. ;3
[ATTACK:BLUNT:200:4000:pistol whip:pistol whips:NO_SUB:1250]

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_PISTOL_BALLS]
[NAME:pistol ball:pistol balls]
[CLASS:PISTOL_BALL]
[SIZE:12] Based on an old Japanese matchlock pistol I found on an auction site.
[ATTACK:EDGE:12:2000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:1000]

This goes in the entity folder, if you don't mind being shot with wooden bullets.
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ARQUEBUS]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARQUEBUS_BALLS]   
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PISTOL]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_PISTOL_BALLS]   

I've never made a reaction before, so this probably doesn't work.

[REACTION:MAKE_ARQUEBUS]
   [NAME:make arquebus]
   [BUILDING:BLACKSMITH:NONE]
   [REAGENT:A:1:BAR:NONE:POTASH:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:B:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ARQUEBUS:METAL:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:1]
   [FUEL]
   [SKILL:WEAPONSMITH]

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 03:28:47 pm »

YOU CAN DODGE BULLETS. Hee.
elfs dodge bullets,dwarf hit them from the air with there blades.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 04:38:20 pm »

ok first
   [PRODUCT:B:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ARQUEBUS:METAL:NONE] if you use then then it will make them from raw base metal,and you dont need to name it.

use this [REAGENT:A:1:BAR:NONE:METAL:NONE]
 [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ARQUEBUS: GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
this one will take one metal bar and turn it in to a gun.

muzzle velocity

the properties of gun powder depend on a number of interconnected variables.
the most important are: the proportions of saltpetre,sulphur and charcoal, their purity and
physical state of the powder.

moden tests have shown that the muzzle velocity is all over the place even when useing the same type of powder and shot.

i.e. powder mixed in proportions of 4 saltpetre, 1 sulphur and 1 charcoal ranges from 210ms to 142ms

powders range from 69ms to a 210ms

trueis the old gunners saying "all your skill is of no avail if an angel urinates in the touch hole"
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 04:39:52 pm »

I was intending to use one generic bullet to cover all weapons to start with, but it's negligible extra effort to make separate pistol and arquebus rounds. I'll bash together a suitable reaction to make the weapons themselves at the same time; is one block of wood, one metal pipe section and one metal mechanism to make one arquebus or two pistols using the bowyer skill alright by you?

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 04:57:23 pm »

I'd say leave out the mechanism and maybe the wood - you can make crossbows, battleaxes and bolts without needing anything except a bar of metal, after all. (if we're gonna go totally crazy, I'd say metal pipe, wood block, and either a flint mechanism or a single thread of rope reed.)
And from a gameplay balance perspective, we should probably not make pistols cheaper than arquebuses - you can have pistoliers with SHIELDS, which lets them beat almost anything if you train 'em right.

Might wanna let dwarves make bullets out of rock, too - not very realistic, but very dwarfy.
Pages: [1] 2