Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Why Plump Helmets?  (Read 20204 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why Plump Helmets?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 07:33:42 am »

People sure like to necro this thread. This is the second time, I believe...

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2011, 08:45:26 am »

A month isn't really a necro IMHO. As to the question.

Easy. Their my primary trade export, i grow more than 1K excess every 6 months ATM, and it's going up :). Seriouslly, is one of the best way of earning easy trade money. You just have to keep making rock pots for them :p.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2011, 09:04:05 am »

Rapidly growing, edible without further processing and able to fulfill every nutrition need of the fortress. The perfect dwarf symbiont. You could send a fortress to Mars and back with just two farm plots full of plump helmet. So why not plump helmet? I buy a few other foods and brews for a cheap moral boost later in the game, but the backbone of the food supply will always be plump helmet. Why waste workforce on the fields that can be useful in the mines and smithies? You can't kill things with strawberries and longland grass.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:05:47 am by wrwr »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 09:11:54 am »

I grow more than plump helmets; usually strawberries too.

Yeah so sue me that I grow stuff that can be grown year round, eaten raw, and brewed.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2011, 09:17:11 am »

I have six underground farm plots and I hardly ever use them. The occasional sweep of the soil layers by my herbalists, plus buying out the human and treehugger caravans seems to keep my fort of 217 dwarves well supplied. You know, it seems to me that herbs can grow in stockpiles and you can designate them to be picked even if you can't see them.

Occasionally I plant pigtails to be made into thread, just because I need a way to use up all the dimple cups that I keep collecting.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2011, 10:20:37 am »

They're big, purple mushrooms that get you drunk. I wish they were real! :(

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2011, 11:49:37 am »

Yeah, but it's not like you need the maximum 200 spawn all the time. If you're getting five helmets to a stack minimum, you only need to brew 20% of them to break even on spawn. And if you can depend on sitting at or near 200 spawn, you're not getting the excess back from brewing, either, since if you have 200, no more will appear. Basically there's no reason not to cook your plump helmets, provided you have enough spawn for the next season.

Hahaha. I disable cooking on Plump Helmets - but enable it on their seeds. I have five kitchens running permanently cooking up nothing but seeds and I still never, ever run out. Also gets my cooks plenty of practice.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 09:54:07 am »

I just play with LFR and grow nothing but winding spires and plump helmets. Two kinds of easy food and booze and cloth too.

(And yes the only real point of this reply was to necro the thread once again)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 12:18:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 02:45:37 pm »

This is a Mutilated Thread Corpse Corpse Corpse.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Dorfmangler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2012, 03:00:43 pm »

The Bay Watcher gestures! The thread begins to move!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2012, 03:32:17 pm »

The Bay Watcher gestures! The thread begins to move!
*ahem* Escaped lunatic. You're not this crazy yet.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2012, 03:38:29 pm »

I like to keep a variety, so I grow everything. Plump helmets I use for the booze (and you can grow them in winter when you can't grow any other food crop underground). I tend to go for 12 3x3 underground farms plus a few 3x3 above ground farms. Overkill, I know, but I like to be well ahead of my booze consumption, and trading can get rid of any excess.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2012, 08:20:12 am »

I like them because I don't have to rely on cooking alcohol to make solid food. I mean, seriously, what do you get by preparing a meal out of fifty barrels of dwarven rum, anyway? Jellied rum? Rum topped with rum? Rum soup?

They also grow quickly enough that I can set two stills on repeat and not have my food stores go down (7x7 plot and an arseload of migrant farmers).
My wooden badge was delicious.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2012, 09:06:07 am »

I mean, seriously, what do you get by preparing a meal out of fifty barrels of dwarven rum, anyway? Jellied rum? Rum topped with rum? Rum soup?
This is a finely-prepared dwarven rum roast. The ingredients are exceptionally minced dwarven rum, exceptionally minced dwarven rum, exceptionally minced dwarven rum and exceptionally minced dwarven rum.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6