Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Downloading the DF Wiki.  (Read 5066 times)

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite Rock: Obsidian
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading the DF Wiki.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 12:10:06 am »

if you wanted you download the wiki you could use this
http://www.httrack.com/
ideally someone would do so every so often (say 2-3 months) zip it up and upload it somewhere else so the server bandwidth doesn't get taken by people just downloading the whole thing.

That... sounds like something I would be willing to do.
Obsidian! the only rock that can be MADE by dwarfs!

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 12:21:28 am »

Wow, looks like i'm downloading everything. I see... every current version of DF there. OSX, Windows, Linux.

Some page relating to robots. Robots.txt??

10... 15... 30... so many instances of robots.txt!! WHY?!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:53:01 am by S31-Syntax »

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 12:58:54 am »

Max White cancels post: Confused by Robots.txt.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 05:32:05 am »

5h 10m in, still rolling. its throttling itself to about 26kb/s... so this is going to take a while.
690megs so far. When its all said and done, i'll probably 7z it and belch it onto filefront or something.

If its under 2 gigs i'll see if Ubuntu One will take it. I don't use it for much anywho.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 05:38:11 am »

I suggest putting it in a torrent, that way people with fairly horrible connections can still access it. 
Can torrent files be updated?  That would make distributing updates incredibly easy.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 06:19:25 am »

I'd say torrents are a bad idea except for files which get a fair amount of interest, which wouldn't be the case here. I'd say it would run out of seeders one day and be stuck with a few leechers.
Just upload it somewhere.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 06:19:50 am »

Maybe for the people who only play DF when they lose internet connection, like me.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 06:23:08 am »

I honestly don't understand the purpose of this. How often are you going to be at a computer, playing DF, but without internet access?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 06:24:17 am »

I'd download it, already the archive-y value it has for me makes it attractive :P
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 06:31:38 am »

"Archive-y value"? The wiki already archives everything.

I'm also a little concerned about how much of the wiki's bandwidth this kind of thing would use up if multiple people do it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 07:02:55 am »

Arhive-y as in. having it right here, on my HD.

And I guess it'll be mirrored on another site so the wiki bandwith need not be strained.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 07:26:48 am »

I honestly don't understand the purpose of this. How often are you going to be at a computer, playing DF, but without internet access?
Long plane, railway or bus rides spring to mind, as do long holidays in the middle of nowhere. I'm also frightened to even speculate how my new Windows CE minibook's browser is going to handle the wiki now that someone had the inspired idea of dropping support for Internet Explorer.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 01:34:57 pm »

I wish I have had the wiki when I was in hospital for 2 months

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 01:53:27 pm »

I will archive it in a way that it will allow people who don't have constant internet connections to still have access to the (so far) most recent version of the wiki. As long as its only me sucking the bandwidth at its throttled 26kb/s then the wiki won't be hammered so much.

On top of that, its also downloading copies of every DF version available. we're down to 28_181_39b right now. Those are coming from mirrors. It also seems to be following ALL links outward and is trying to grab things from the pages at the end of those links... ads included. But those attempts seem to be stopped by this robots.txt file. I'm guessing a "no trespassing" sign for bots like this program i'm using.

I'm doing this for several reasons.
1) secondary archiving is nice
2) having the wiki on hand at any time evar is also nice
3) I really like having three things in a list... so here.

This thing looks like it will include things like...
All the DFtalks
All the DF versions
The entire wiki
robots!
All the DF mods that it can find
All the secrets of the universe

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 05:26:01 pm »

Just for the hell of it, I'll confirm that robots.txt is indeed an anti-bot thing.  It mostly just tells bots that there isn't anything worth looking at beyond that point. 

As much for the bot's sake as the site from the way I understand it.  Since some site structures can confuse the hell out of them apperantly.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4