Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Downloading the DF Wiki.  (Read 5067 times)

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite Rock: Obsidian
    • View Profile
Downloading the DF Wiki.
« on: November 06, 2010, 05:34:02 am »

I would like to do that, download the entirety of the DF Wiki for use locally.

I know the same can be done for Wikipedia, and the DL is ~31 gigs in size in 7z format.

But what about the DF wiki?
How practical is this?
Are there things IN the wiki that only Toady Immortals cool people should see?

UPDATE: Hey! Its all done and stuff!

http://rapidshare.com/files/429695521/DF_Wiki.7z

Try it out!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:27:38 pm by S31-Syntax »
Obsidian! the only rock that can be MADE by dwarfs!

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading the DF Wiki.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 05:50:04 am »

Downloading wikis for local use is pointless and counterproductive, especially for a game still in development.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 05:55:51 am »

::) For the purposes of looking up things that are constants, and besides... when a new version comes out, download the updated parts from the wiki.

Frankly I think it has a pretty big point and very productive for the end user.

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 06:00:33 am »

There are things that are constant?
By Armoks beard, I can't even get a dwarf to enjoy the same drink two seasons in a row!

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:10:51 am »

:P Things like what a stone looks like, where its found, and why elves suck.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 06:12:23 am »

Downloading the entire wiki might be overkill, but I can see an advantage to certain individual entries being available in .pdf form; the table describing what all the various kinds of stone do, for example, or the how-to guides for the military. Those aren't going to change much between major updates, but they're things you'll miss being able to look up if you're bereft of an Internet connection, or can't run DF and your browser simultaneously.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 06:23:07 am »

I've been thinking about the same thing.  The wiki is invaluable when you are starting out, and very usuful even after you've mastered the basics.  A version you could take with you would be great for DF without an internet connection.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 06:24:56 am »

This is the DF thread... these people practically crap overkill.  ;D

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:09:27 am »

Oh you!

Sometimes, my internet connection dies. And I want to play DF. And then I need the wiki. WAT DO?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 10:55:14 am »

Save pages individually?
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 05:54:31 pm »

Considered it, but that would take a long time and would leave a lot of annoying holes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 06:04:14 pm »

Well, conceivably we could condense all of the commonly accessed info down into a single document for easy use. Stuff like basic commands, army controls, workshop info, quality distinctions, metal recipes and other basic info isn't likely to change anytime soon. And DF is  kinda in need of a good updated start up and reference guide.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 09:15:22 pm »

I agree with this fellow here.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 09:18:13 pm »

I just had my mason engrave the wiki onto the walls of my house fortress. The problem is that by the end he got so good that he was making masterworks, and that was back in 40d, so now we can't update anything because he might freek out over us removing the old engravings.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 09:25:18 pm »

if you wanted you download the wiki you could use this
http://www.httrack.com/
ideally someone would do so every so often (say 2-3 months) zip it up and upload it somewhere else so the server bandwidth doesn't get taken by people just downloading the whole thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4