Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Negative Value Artifact - good or bad? Record?  (Read 12664 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Negative Value Artifact - good or bad? Record?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 06:44:45 am »

Keep it. You just made a fuckin' Magic Missile Barrel.

Seriously. A barrel made of magic missile.

Is that not the most awesomely awesome thing ever?

...Ah, what the hell, my sigtext needs a little refreshment and this made me laugh.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 08:50:51 am »

"donate" it to the kobold and they'd forever ignore your fort. No wait, maybe they'd generously leave you some giant bat meat biscuits cause you are too poor.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 09:03:14 am »

"donate" it to the kobold and they'd forever ignore your fort. No wait, maybe they'd generously leave you some giant bat meat biscuits cause you are too poor.
Now THAT is a really good idea to get rid of kobolds.
Which is nothing anyone wants, cause kobolds are neat, little buggers for each and every arena.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 09:08:45 am »

I notice the barrel isn't decorated with magic missile. Don't artifacts have one free decoration from its base material?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 09:13:46 am »

A magic missile barrel used to store plump helmets. What's next, a Raise Dead hospital bed?
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 09:19:17 am »

A magic missile barrel used to store plump helmets. What's next, a Raise Dead hospital bed?
With DF's healthcare system, it's probably closer to Finger of Death. Or Meteor Fall.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

tzkal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 09:28:01 am »

Is it even possible to gift this thing? I'd think if you select it in the trade menu you would be listed as owing them money for their products. Meaning they would want compensation for taking that from you  :D

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 10:08:48 am »

I wonder if you fort makes goblins go away from the region?

"Let's pillage this fo... what the fuck?"
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 10:43:05 am »

Now I want a Fireball battle axe.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 11:02:04 am »

Wow.  Minus 1.3 billion.  That puts your fortress about the same as the US economy at the moment.  Just think - what would Obama do?
He'd atom smash the artifact.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 11:25:05 am »

Now I fucking got it what you can do with it.
Make a room with it, with a bed and assign that to a dwarf you don't like.
It will have such a low value, and it will be so extremly bad, that every dwarf instantly goes insane when he sleeps in it. Maybe.

"Hey Urist, I have a really nice new room for ya."
"Oh, hey nice, it even has a dyers shop in it. Wait, that barrel....
OH MY GAWD THAT BARRELLS
 ARHADFPBDFBADFafds"
*Urist McHated went insane*

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »

Now I want a Fireball battle axe.

Poor !!Axedwarf!!.

With DF's healthcare system, it's probably closer to Finger of Death. Or Meteor Fall.

A Meteor Fall bed would be one used in a building destroyer trap. Right under a huge chunk of stone with magma pumped into it.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 12:47:16 pm »

Wow.  Minus 1.3 billion.  That puts your fortress about the same as the US economy at the moment.  Just think - what would Obama do?
He'd atom smash the artifact. make some more
fixed.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 12:48:41 pm »

Just think - what would Obama do?

Do it again, then stick them in republican candidates' houses.

I'm guessing it's an uninitialised variable causing the issue.  The material has a value, but without being told what it is in the raws it just uses whatever happens to be in the memory at the time.  I'm guessing if you save, exit and reload it'll change again - with nearly 50/50 chance of being positive.

Which mod is that from?

I don't know which mod it's from, I think I had just been there when it was being discussed and started using the code. Not useful unless you're five feet from them anyhow.
You're right though, the value does change every time the game is loaded. This time it's +1.5 billion. Weird, yet cool.

I've given the material a value of 1000 and it has now become a fixed value of 1,222,800db. Thanks for the help, I guess. Could still just remove it's value later and have keep adventurers guessing when they try to sell it after running the dungeon. :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:58:00 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 12:57:55 pm »

Just think - what would Obama do?

Do it again, then stick them in republican candidates' houses.

I'm guessing it's an uninitialised variable causing the issue.  The material has a value, but without being told what it is in the raws it just uses whatever happens to be in the memory at the time.  I'm guessing if you save, exit and reload it'll change again - with nearly 50/50 chance of being positive.

Which mod is that from?

I don't know which mod it's from, I think I had just been there when it was being discussed and started using the code. Not useful unless you're five feet from them anyhow.
You're right though, the value does change every time the game is loaded. This time it's +1.5 billion. Weird, yet cool. So if I gave the magic missile material a value this will be fixed?

Possibly.

So, the barrel is the Great Randomizer now? First it makes you 1.3 billion poorer, then 1.5 billion richer?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4