Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preventing dorfs from going outside  (Read 476 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preventing dorfs from going outside
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:04:49 pm »

Just came back after half a year break to the new version and I cant find how you prevent your dorfs from walking in to the sunlight. If I remember correctly there used to be a way of ordering them this but I cant find it.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing dorfs from going outside
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »

Learn how to use burrows. (No offense, I know there used to be an o-i-i command)
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 05:07:21 pm »

The current version did away with the simple order to make dwarves stay inside, now you have to set up a burrow and an alert.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:09:42 pm »

Ok, was afraid it was something like that. Of to DF wiki then :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:10:59 pm »

Not that it's terribly complicated to do in the new version. Set a burrow in a safe location, set it so that civilians go there on alert, then when danger strikes set civilian alert and everyone rushes off to the PANIC ROOM!

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 05:17:01 pm »

How do you set up so they go there at a specific alert?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 05:21:25 pm »

In the (m)ilitary - (a)lerts screen, scroll to the alert you want, then scroll over to the list of burrows, scroll to the burrow you want to restrict them to when that alert is active, and hit enter. A little green A will appear next to that burrow's name.

Then, whenever you want to set the civilians to that alert, scroll to the alert's name (in the leftmost column) and hit enter. A green [CIV] will appear, and all civilians will stay in the assigned burrow until you switch the alert.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 05:29:17 pm »

The reason the old 'stay indoors' command was removed was because it was too simplistic. It causes entrance-dances, it was useless for fortresses built above ground, dorfs could get caught in small caves across the map and unable to leave, etc.

The new system lets you designate anywhere you want as an alert location. Forgotten beast invasion? Designate a burrow away from the caverns defended by your military. Goblins coming in? Send them to a burrow deeper in the fort past all of your siege defenses. It is versatile and powerful and shouldn't cause any of the issues the old command did.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 05:31:15 pm »

Many thanks, was quite easy to understand. Now I got like a thousand ideas for different panic rooms. :P

xeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 05:46:28 pm »

In the (m)ilitary - (a)lerts screen, scroll to the alert you want, then scroll over to the list of burrows, scroll to the burrow you want to restrict them to when that alert is active, and hit enter. A little green A will appear next to that burrow's name.

Then, whenever you want to set the civilians to that alert, scroll to the alert's name (in the leftmost column) and hit enter. A green [CIV] will appear, and all civilians will stay in the assigned burrow until you switch the alert.

Out of all the help articles I've read about Burrows, those 4 sentences have been the most helpful. Thanks for the distillation. :)