Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trapping FBs  (Read 375 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Trapping FBs
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:52:48 pm »

What's the best setup to trap FBs (and other, otherwise untrappable creatures)?

I have this one sitting just outside the walled-off parts of the caverns that spits webs or something and I was thinking it'd be cool to set up a textile industry based on this guy.

So far, my plan is to put up a support that holds up a single floor tile, then surround it with cage traps.  The hard part is triggering it at the right time.  I'm not quite sure if FBs are building destroyers or not.  I'm also not sure if I can use a pressure plate to drop the floor tiles, or if he won't trigger those either.

And then there's the matter of putting him into some kind of target range.  I was thinking of building his cage inside a bunch of fortifications and chaining a kitten or something outside of it, but maybe there's a better way?  And I don't know if my hunters will try to hunt it if I do that...
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Trapping FBs
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:14:56 pm »

The only way you can possibly trap a forgotten beast in a cage is to get a giant cave spider to shoot webs over the cage trap - forgotten beasts are immune to being stunned, so the cave-in trick is completely ineffective.

Besides, forgotten beasts with "Beware its webs" don't actually have webs - the generated raws are broken.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:18:24 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:29:09 pm »

The only way you can possibly trap a forgotten beast in a cage is to get a giant cave spider to shoot webs over the cage trap - forgotten beasts are immune to being stunned, so the cave-in trick is completely ineffective.

Besides, forgotten beasts with "Beware its webs" don't actually have webs - the generated raws are broken.

Drat.  I guess my information was outdated.  I'm guessing I'll find that, err, "clowns" are the same way with respect to being stun immune?

It would be lovely to tame that GCS that seems to be wandering around up there, too, but I haven't modified any raws and I heard that the Dungeon Master is buggy right now and that you can't tame exotics even if you can make one show up...  And I've only heard rumors of people having one show up in 31.16, so I don't know if it's even possible right now.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

HermitDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 04:41:04 pm »

Catch it anyways, you can set up a GCS silk farm in lieu of a FB silk farm.