Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I can't find a fortress location that has a river and doesn't have an aquifer.  (Read 1249 times)

raiker123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the DF wiki it says that it's nice to have a river or some sort of flowing water. I can find river locations in the mountains and stuff that don't have an aquifer, but I can't find somewhere with: a river, trees, and no aquifer. not even taking into consideration sedimentary layers and flux stones. :( Any help will be very much appreciated  :)

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most rivers, in my experience, actually act as aquifers themselves, so searching for YES river but NO aquifer will always break the search. But the search tends to suck anyway. You're going to have better luck just scrolling around likely areas manually, looking for what you want.

raiker123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am only doing the search manually.

It doesn't matter now anyway I found a place that has a river and no aquifer so I'm happy. :D
I guess I just didn't spend enough time looking.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page

I am only doing the search manually.

It doesn't matter now anyway I found a place that has a river and no aquifer so I'm happy. :D
I guess I just didn't spend enough time looking.

Yeah, it takes a bit of looking (or using the site finder).  I recommend looking up pregenerated worlds if you're lazy, though:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/category.php?id=14
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or just delete aquifers in the raws. If you know you don't ever want them, why let them exist?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not a big trick to edit out the [AQUIFER] tags, yeah.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile

You make the changes in your raw/objects folder (if you are changing an existing world, this will be the raw folder inside the region save, if you are changing this for all worlds make the change in your main raws):

Open inorganic_stone_layer.txt and remove all instances of [AQUIFER], save the file, then do the same forinorganic_stone_soil.txt.  Your aquifers are gone now.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The lazy newb pack will delete them for you, if you're a lazy newb like me.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile

You make the changes in your raw/objects folder (if you are changing an existing world, this will be the raw folder inside the region save, if you are changing this for all worlds make the change in your main raws):

Open inorganic_stone_layer.txt and remove all instances of [AQUIFER], save the file, then do the same forinorganic_stone_soil.txt.  Your aquifers are gone now.

There's also one in inorganic_stone_minerals.txt as well.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also keep in mind the game warns you about a aquifer even if it only exists in 1 tile of your embark area.

It is easier to just delete them though.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's also one in inorganic_stone_minerals.txt as well.

Eh, the odd puddingstone cluster is hardly a major obstacle  8)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

One trick to handling aquifers is to recognize that they don't stretch if the rest of your map does. If you turn erosion way up and embark on a major river canyon, you can sometimes bypass aquifers simply by digging into a part of the canyon beneath the aquifer layer.

The upside of this is that usually major rivers are far from mountains and close to oceans, meaning right in the heart of aquifer country, so this is one of the few ways to get a giant-ass river and not have to worry about the aquifer. Sometimes the sides of the canyon leak though so watch out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:56:50 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

"nice to have" is not "mandatory" The benefit of having a river over a brook is doubtful unless you want some megaproject involving it. Your dwarves only request for water when injured, and the amount is so pitiful it's even hard to drain even a 5x5 muddy pool with normal consumption.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have found a brook plenty adequate for most of my needs, the trick is to divert the brook into a huge cistern and run everything off a tap at the bottom of that.