Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange and consistent crashingness  (Read 373 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange and consistent crashingness
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:09:53 pm »

So I just moved to .16 after quite a break (waiting for some particular nasty bugs to fix and Mayday to release his version).. So I'm using Mayday's .16, and I have a regular crash that seems odd..

On the embark screen..  If I select Play Now, any personalized custom option, or customize my own start and then hit 'e' to embark..  the game crashes.  Sometimes it crashes right there, sometimes it gets to the 'Strike the Earth' screen, and sometimes it even makes it to the actual site.  Also, it doesn't 'crash' in a traditional sense - no error message pops up, I don't get the 'this program has stopped responding, pick an option' screen.  It just sits there 'thinking' indefinitely, while showing 'not responding' in the top left corner.

I've tried setting everything I can find in the files to no longer have 'read only' checked, and given all users full control of the files (Edit : Upon further examination, I've discovered that the save folder is still read only.  However, every time I uncheck it and apply, it just resets it..  it appears I can't 'uncheck' the read only status of that file)

Using Win7 64-bit..

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:28:04 pm by Dekon »

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Strange and consistent crashingness
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:36:30 pm »

Have you got 'save on embark' turned on in the init?

If thats turned on and it crashes after making it to 'strike the earth' screen, you should be able to load the game by starting up DF again.

However, it's likely its an issue with the map, so make sure you have 'pause on embark' on in the init as well, then you can have a skeggle round the map to see whats making it crash.

I had similar symptoms with some worlds gen'd in 31.16, and it was to do with some funky landscapes.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:14:57 pm »

Have you got 'save on embark' turned on in the init?

If thats turned on and it crashes after making it to 'strike the earth' screen, you should be able to load the game by starting up DF again.

However, it's likely its an issue with the map, so make sure you have 'pause on embark' on in the init as well, then you can have a skeggle round the map to see whats making it crash.

I had similar symptoms with some worlds gen'd in 31.16, and it was to do with some funky landscapes.

Don't have Save on Embark on, and it's happened on several different map/locations

I think it might have to do with the 'read only' mark on the properties of the save folder, but I can't uncheck that :(.  I -can-, and I can hit apply, and it appears to have worked, but if I check properties again afterwards the read only is back on.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:29:33 pm »

Update:

So I was finally able to get a game to work.. however, sections of the caverns kept collapsing, and my framerate plummeted to zip.  So maybe the two problems are related somehow. 

It does mean it's something in DF and not the read-only thing.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 03:22:28 am »

Maybe you have water that is falling into magma or magma falling into water? Or is it more like one giant cave-in?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.