Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood in the walls of my trench cleaning area... How can i remove?  (Read 1929 times)

Corew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok I tried preparing a trench outdoors, fill it partially with water with a pump, meeting area, and wait for some blood cleaning. After a while, some blood started to get into the trench. After this ... i tried take all the water away (with another pump), and refill ... but... finally a lot of contaminants went to the walls. Now i dont know how to clean this.

I tried fill to 7/7 all the trench... untiul the water flooded the nearby areas, result was cleaning blood in the nearby areas... and spreading the blood in all a circular area 4/5 tiles far from the trench... And the blood on the walls still is there.

Both pumps were in the up part of the trench. perhaps pump in a lower part works better?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Blood in the walls of my trench cleaning area... How can i remove?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:14:02 am »

As far as I can tell, blood which is in or on walls is impossible to remove without deconstructing the wall.  Even magma won't get blood out of walls.

However, as far as I can tell blood on walls doesn't recontaminate water flowing past the wall, so you should be able to ignore it.  Or run DFcleanmap if it really bothers you.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:51:10 am »

I haven't tested this extensively in .16, so things might have changed, but....

When a dwarf decides to clean a floor tile, the cleaning process also seems to remove contaminants from adjacent walls.  (Not sure if it's just orthogonally adjacent walls, or diagonals as well.)  So, at a guess, if the area in question is Inside, you might be able to contaminate a floor tile next to the wall you want cleaned.  Then wait for a dwarf to clean the floor, and see if that gets the wall as well.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 12:00:41 pm »

You're safe, the water overwrites any blood, so a dwarf who steps into a bloody mess will be protected by the water.

Idle dwarves will periodically clean up the trench. A dwarf will clean the tile he's on, as well as each adjacent tile. If its a small trench this may also include the walls.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 12:06:11 pm »

Or if you're lazy you can get the DF hackpack and then just run the cleanmap  :D
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Corew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 12:15:32 pm »

I hoped i could clean this with water but... i see its not gona be possible.

I ll try doing a squads of nurse/cleaners without any work to do...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:20:39 pm »

Depending on how it's set up, destroying and rebuilding the walls might be easier.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:34:13 pm »

Try using dwarf therapist to enable cleaning on children.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 01:10:19 pm »

Walls can be cleaned if a dwarf targets an adjacent floor tile for cleaning (since cleaning a tile will also clean the 8 surrounding tiles on the current z-level). However, since technically dwarves can't stand on walls (they would be standing on the floor above), walls don't get directly targeted for cleaning.

As mentioned already, dfhack is currently the only method to clean off a wall... short of mining it out and/or de/re-constructing a built wall, which is a time consuming process depending on how much the contamination has spread.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 01:15:38 pm »

If the cleaning trench is only 1 tile wide, that means if a dwarf cleans up the muck in the water he will also clean up the walls.

However even if nothing is ever cleaned, you're still okay. The water will still clean dwarves, and while a dwarf is coated in water no other substances will stick to him.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 01:50:20 pm »

Just tried enabling cleaning on children... nope...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:06:55 pm »

If you build a wall beside a smoothed bloody wall, does the change of graphics (for the connection) force the tile to be cleaned?

ie:

|
B
|

|
+-
|

Legend:
| regular smooth wall
B Bloody wall patch
- newly constructed wall
+ tile that previously was bloody

Smoothing a bloody non-smooth wall will unbloody it (or it did in 28.40d, so I presume that still works).
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 05:18:39 pm »

Don't know about building adjacent walls, but I have determined that burning objects periodically clear blood off adjacent tiles.  If you drop bins full of burning lignite in your channel, that should remove the blood from the walls.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 06:23:05 pm »

Don't know about building adjacent walls, but I have determined that burning objects periodically clear blood off adjacent tiles.  If you drop bins full of burning lignite in your channel, that should remove the blood from the walls.

It will also remove water from the channel, and flesh from the bones of your dwarves.   :P

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 04:26:23 pm »

Adjust the boiling point of blood in the raws. It's easier than the burning lignite trick, and has the benefit of clearing out all the blood in your fort at once, not just the blood outside of the dwarves.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.