Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Biomes?  (Read 3026 times)

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Biomes?
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:20:30 am »

I am, or was, under the impression that if I were to start in an area with multiple biomes, that creatures from both biomes would visit my fortress, correct?

Well, I did just that. I settled in an area with about three or so biomes. Two of them are savage neutral forests of different varieties, which I know because I've had both wolves and elephants visit me, and the third biome is a terrifying mountain.

While I have had hoarmy marmots and giant eagles come down from the mountain, but I haven't seen a single undead! It's supposed to be a TERRIFYING mountain, right? At first I'd attributed the lack of skeletals/walkers to maybe not having enough of the biome on my map, but then I remembered that the mountain occupies well over 60% of my embark! What the heck? I want zombies, damn it.

Will they ever show up? I really like what I'm doing with this fortress and I'd hate to have to abandon it for being too easy.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Biomes?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 07:12:05 am »

Bumping because I just captured two hoary marmots (breeding pair) and they need names.

...but you only get to name one if you can help me figure out why the undead haven't shown yet.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:14:49 am »

I think I have never seen undead on terrifying biomes, only on haunted ones.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:35:31 am »

Well that's damn strange! You'd think there would be MORE undead on terrifying biomes, since those are the most savage biomes in the game. That can't be right!

...is he right?

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 09:39:45 am »

they go either way, sometimes you'll have zombie giant eagles coming down out of the mountains, sometimes it'll just be hoary marmonts all day every day. I usually see zombies/skeletons in non-mountain scary biomes, but you might just get stuck with a bunch of zombie slugmen, which aren't all that scary since the zombie tag slows down the already painfully slow slugmen.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:48:24 am »

You've got herds of elephants and packs of wolves wandering around outside the front gate and you think the place is too tame? Sheesh!
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:52:12 pm »

they go either way, sometimes you'll have zombie giant eagles coming down out of the mountains, sometimes it'll just be hoary marmonts all day every day. I usually see zombies/skeletons in non-mountain scary biomes, but you might just get stuck with a bunch of zombie slugmen, which aren't all that scary since the zombie tag slows down the already painfully slow slugmen.

Well I certainly wouldn't mind undead hoary marmots, but I just have the crappy alive kind that have been breeding like rabbits in my fort since I captured a breeding pair. I've also caught breeding pairs of draltha, two males of which are sitting outside of my fort as defense. I've got a whole army of naked mole dogs, four (breeding) Elk birds, a giant toad, even a giant olm somehow managed to crawl its way up into my cage traps. I only have two of them set up in the caverns!!

*coughs*

But I digress. The point I'm trying to make is that I've basically seen (or captured) such a huge amount of animals, cavernous and above-ground, that it's both surprising and disturbing that nothing has shown up yet. It's a terrifying mountain, for Armok's sake! I haven't even seen a single EVIL creature yet, let alone undead creatures, lest one count the local Goblins and Kobolds. No harpies, no skeletal giant eagles. There's one giant eagle that will occasionally fly around outside, but nothing else. Nothing suspicious underground either. It's already late into the second year (or early third?)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 03:51:40 pm »

Not every evil biome has undead. Some of them have "evil monsters," like harpies and foul blendecs instead. I don't think mountains have any evil-specific creatures.

EDIT: Except for dark gnomes, but those are only in sinister places so you're out of luck.

As to how you can tell whether a region has undead or monsters, I can't say. Some people have speculated that if the biome has both red/yellow and magenta/purple colors, the red/yellow ones will have zombies. Some people have speculated that only "haunted" biomes have zombies. Myself, I can't say as I haven't researched this at all.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 05:47:37 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 04:18:12 pm »

If you can't find something dangerous outside then dig down till you find forgotten beasts or any of the other varieties of fun that haunt the deep recesses of the earth.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 07:20:17 pm »

There are a couple of bugs on the tracker about mixed biomes not seeming to use proper savagery/evilness.  This could be more of that.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Syreniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 07:35:13 am »

Well that's damn strange! You'd think there would be MORE undead on terrifying biomes, since those are the most savage biomes in the game. That can't be right!

...is he right?

I'm currently working on a fort in a terrifying biome, and if the skeletal/zombie elephants are anything to go by, there is more than enough undead stuff in a terrifying biome to satisfy almost anyone.

However, evil biomes in general seem to take two different forms; you can living but EVIL animals like beak dogs and harpies, dead but (more) normal animals.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 11:57:41 am »

However, evil biomes in general seem to take two different forms; you can living but EVIL animals like beak dogs and harpies, dead but (more) normal animals.

Exactly. And since Terrifying mountains have no "evil animals," it's easy to embark on non-undead mountains, not see anything that wants to murder you, and think "that's odd, this must be a bug". If you want purple-dwellers, stick to the woods or the swamps.

There are a couple of bugs on the tracker about mixed biomes not seeming to use proper savagery/evilness.  This could be more of that.

I can get evil critters on split biomes, so if this is a thing it doesn't happen every time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:59:28 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 02:38:56 pm »

Could just be the RNG screwing with you.  Give it time.  I had a split biome once and it was a while before I had harpies and ogres harrassing me.  I did have a good number of hoary marmots and mountain goats visit me.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 04:06:13 pm »

Exactly. And since Terrifying mountains have no "evil animals," it's easy to embark on non-undead mountains, not see anything that wants to murder you, and think "that's odd, this must be a bug". If you want purple-dwellers, stick to the woods or the swamps.

I can get evil critters on split biomes, so if this is a thing it doesn't happen every time.

This. You have fanciful evil creatures, not undead. Since no fanciful evil creatures are native to the mountains, you are only getting normal mountain creatures.

Also, I name a marmot JubJub

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 04:15:52 pm »

I'd name the other Marmot Beefs, but all the explaining has been done already.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator
Pages: [1] 2