Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manual power for a Pump stack  (Read 2905 times)

yasic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Manual power for a Pump stack
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:35:19 pm »

Hello,

I am trying to build a massive pumpstack to pump lava from the bottom to a nice little pool at the top of my fortress right under a few lava using workshops. I know the standard way is to use watermills, but I don't need the lava constantly flowing, just once now and perhaps again when it runs out 80 years down the line. . . so I was wondering... what happens when you put a single dwarf to operate a pumpstack? Would he just fail to turn it, will it work as if he has infinite power or will it just go by slowly.

Perhaps he might output a certain amount of power and I could use a dwarf to supplement my watermills if they are not enough?

Also, on a slightly different note: What will happen if I hook up my pumpstack to my watermills but they don't have enough power for them all?

Thank you all very much!

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manual power for a Pump stack
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:39:39 pm »

you will need one pump operator for each pump, or else it will be very time consuming for you. If you have more power required than you have, then nothing operates, as far as I know.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

yasic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 06:47:21 pm »

So if I put a dwarf on the topmost pump, will he power the pumps below him as well or only the top one.

If only the top one, it will take much less time and energy to just build the mills...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 06:53:05 pm »

If the pumps are unpowered you will need a dwarf at each pump. If you have a 30 level stack you need 30 dwarves. Probably more like 50, considering all the boozing they need to do.

yasic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 07:22:19 pm »

Ok, thank you for your answers. Off to making pumps I go.

HermitDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 07:48:48 pm »

Build a water reactor and connect it to the top most pump. Make sure there's a gear assembly in the power train. Put a lever to disconnect the gear assembly when the pump stack is not needed.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 08:00:04 pm »

I'm building a massive windfarm above my pump stack. I didn't bother to do the math on power required, either. I figure it will be more fun that way.

What are you using for pump material? I'm using magma-safe rock blocks, nickel pipes, and iron screws, but smelting that much nickel and iron means I had to dig out magma smelters and forges at the bottom of the map, somewhat defeating the purpose of bringing magma up to the magma workshops. I'm doing it anyway, just to be dwarfy. And to have a ready supply of magma for other projects.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »

Put in reservoirs, so you don't need everything operating at once.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:26:21 pm »

How do you power half a pump stack?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 09:49:20 pm »

How do you power half a pump stack?
You don't. You make two pump stacks, each half the height of the distance you want to pump fluid, and power each of them seperately (ideally one at a time, else why are you making 2 stacks?).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:06:21 pm »

I see. Properly done, you could also trade time in deconstructing pumps for time and materials spent building the pumps as well. My first thought was that each stack section would need it's own vertical axle stack for power, but one riser with gears tapping of to the side could supply any number of stack sections.

How much magma do you normally lose to evaporation? Off the cuff I'd say 2 units per tile of footprint. It wouldn't be good to miss the guess and have a 3 of magma drifiting around under the forge when the weaponsmith gets moody.

While it's too late to implement in my current project, It's even relatively easy to implement in a partially-built stack, now that I think. Just dig the resovior at the discharge of one of the existing pumps, dig the power down, and connect. I just need a way to safely deconstruct the existing stack after it becomes primed with magma. Will a pump work with an open hatch cover, door, or floodgate in the inlet square? Will it stop working when it closes?

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 03:41:56 am »

Build a water reactor and connect it to the top most pump. Make sure there's a gear assembly in the power train. Put a lever to disconnect the gear assembly when the pump stack is not needed.

I too am currently trying to make my first 'proper' pump stack. I want to bring water from the first cavern up 150 z-levels to the surface. Can I assume from this post that pump stacks have to be powered from above? I was kinda hoping to put my water reactors at the bottom, cos obviously, that's where the water is, although I can painstakingly siphon some muddy pools if I have to.

Sadly my map has medium wind, so each windmill in an utterly badass enormous wind farm on the surface would only create 20 power, and I suspect the power overhead in connecting machinery would make it impossible to get enough power to the pumps - I need 1500 power for 150 pumps presumably.

EDIT: Oops, I have another question: about water reactors - can I make the design on the wiki fatter, and put two waterwheels on each side of the pump to increase power output?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:49:21 am by vogonpoet »
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 05:35:52 am »

I too am currently trying to make my first 'proper' pump stack. I want to bring water from the first cavern up 150 z-levels to the surface. Can I assume from this post that pump stacks have to be powered from above? I was kinda hoping to put my water reactors at the bottom, cos obviously, that's where the water is, although I can painstakingly siphon some muddy pools if I have to.

Sadly my map has medium wind, so each windmill in an utterly badass enormous wind farm on the surface would only create 20 power, and I suspect the power overhead in connecting machinery would make it impossible to get enough power to the pumps - I need 1500 power for 150 pumps presumably.

EDIT: Oops, I have another question: about water reactors - can I make the design on the wiki fatter, and put two waterwheels on each side of the pump to increase power output?

No, the power source can be on any level as long as it connects to one of the pumps in the stack. The pumps will then distribute the power further.

And yes, though keep in mind that waterwheels require flowing water and after adding a certain number of waterwheels the lone pump won't be enough to generate flow under the outer-most wheels. More pumps are required for larger reactors.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 07:44:22 am »

Thank ye kind sir. I guess I will go for 4 wheels per pump for now, and just build several. Maybe later I will worry about optimisation.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 10:27:07 am »

Considering FPS issues you'd probably be best off with a windfarm. While DWR's can produce staggering amounts of power (my current DWR produces 5200 units of power) it also tends to kill your FPS, as you have liquids flowing everywhere.

My pump stack only needs about 1000 units of power, so my reactor is five times too big, but when I have both the pump stack and reactor running my FPS drops to 4.  :(