Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What was your first music?  (Read 2079 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: What was your first music?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 11:40:50 am »

Just to kick off, I'll ask something of everyone for nostalgia's sake - what were your early music experiences?  Again, not your favorite crap, especially not today.  Like, when did you first start paying attention when there was music of any kind around?  What was the first song you ever said you liked?
My Dad is and was a rocker and my Mum a punk so we always had plenty of loud music being played; It's always been there in my life and I oddly still like a lot of the stuff they played. One band that sticks out in my mind would be The Stranglers and I've got what I consider to be their best work on my MP3 player. Oh and Blue Monday by New Order (Instrumental version is better). Another being The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I must admit though that I do remember music playing without me paying much notice but at the same time remembering the themes to favourite TV programs which are likely the first I acknowledged and recognised.

First band you saw live?
I haven't been to many gigs but have been to plenty of weird festivals and heard plenty of less famous bands who's name's escape me. The first proper gig I went to was to see Porcupine Tree.

Most memorable music video?
I'm really not sure. I remember seeing plenty of Michael Jackson ones but I don't think I paid attention to music videos much.

First album you bought and/or song you "acquired" through the internet?
I mostly leached of my parents collection of tapes and LPs when I was younger but started buying my own CD copies. Some of my earliest downloads would have been unusual Red Hot Chilli Peppers tracks.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 03:26:07 pm »

I have spent the last hour or so listening to Pokemon song remix's, and there is no end in sight.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 02:18:56 am »

Like pretty much every kid from the 90's, my early life was based along grunge and alternative rock, to the point where I was played "Ten" by Pearl Jam the night I was born. First album I bought was Silverchair's "Diorama". First concert was a double headline one with both Powderfinger and Silverchair three years ago. My tastes at the moment are probally more well shown by my last.fm profile. http://www.last.fm/user/hexedmagica
They started to collide~

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 09:07:07 am »

My first music was my dad's, in the car.
Louis Armstrong, Meatloaf, Dire Straits, The Stranglers, Madness, Wishbone Ash and the Eagles.

The first music I discovered on my own was that of Iron Maiden, when I was 13. First album was Brave New World, again by Iron Maiden. First band I saw live was also Iron Maiden, at Twickenham Stadium, July 5th, 2008.

In contrast, the last album I bought was Bitches Brew by Miles Davis, and the last band I saw live was Melt Banana.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 09:14:27 am »

My first music was my dad's, in the car.
Louis Armstrong, Meatloaf, Dire Straits, The Stranglers, Madness, Wishbone Ash and the Eagles.

Same here for underlined.

He also had tapes of crappy country music which for the most part I didn't like, but I enjoy Dire Straits
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 09:56:43 am »

First real music I enjoyed was 70s-80s arena rock/classic rock i.e. Van Halen, Aerosmith, Speedwagon, ect. First band I saw live was Blue Oyster Cult. My cousin opened for them on her piano so we got in for free.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 11:56:54 am »

My parents have always been hordcore country folk. So, that's what I listened to while I was growing up. There was an old, run down record player that was stationed in my bedroom for some reason (probably because I was fascinated with the 8-track player attached. I was constantly taking the damned thing apart and putting it back together.) At about the age of 8, while snooping around for christmas presents, I found a treasure trove of my dad's old rock records. Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Styx, Foreigner, Deep Purple, and the holy grail, Black Sabbath. I would listen to those old records for hours on end, just listening to the music, and taking everything I could from them.

Turns out that my dad has always been a country listener. Those were my mom's.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 03:43:30 am »

My early music was very much influenced by my brother, and was the metal- Metallica and RatM, primarily. Later I got into Audioslave and SoaD, and then Doctor Steel. Also the Beatles.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 04:54:35 am »

My memory of music is amazingly unrelated to time, but I think the first was probably Für Elise, from my parents alarm clock when I was just old enough to walk. The tune never faded, but I was only informed later of where it came from. I probably have other pieces from before they bought that alarm clock that I cannot identify.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 03:42:29 pm »

Probably Nirvana, or Slayer, listened by my mom.

Or dad's Doors, Joy Division, Nick Cave or that stuff.

I knew pretty much nothing about music before I got Guitar Hero 2 for christmas. I started listening to glam rock, with Mötley Crüe and KISS at first. It expanded from there, and now I listen to pretty much everything, except I try to avoid listening what the masses do.
Pages: 1 [2]