Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What was your first music?  (Read 2076 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
What was your first music?
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »

Now that I have a car with a radio, I find myself thinking about music a lot more than I used to, for some reason.  Several topics of discussion have occurred to me over time, and rather than make a buttload of threads about the same basic stuff, I'll just make one to ramble wherever it wants.

This is not about your favorite bands or songs or recommendations (yeah yeah, viking metal, folk metal, aboriginal metal, ultra dark chocolate metal, I fucking know already).  This is just about topics related to music, and stuff about music, especially things I've wondered about music or anything anyone else is wondering.

Just to kick off, I'll ask something of everyone for nostalgia's sake - what were your early music experiences?  Again, not your favorite crap, especially not today.  Like, when did you first start paying attention when there was music of any kind around?  What was the first song you ever said you liked?  First band you saw live?  Most memorable music video?  First album you bought and/or song you "acquired" through the internet?

In my case(s), the first band I ever saw, I was about eight years old, and my parents went to see The Who, Foghat, and Grand Funk Railroad, all performing together on their 401K tour.  I never really knew anything about them though; before I was twelve, my entire understanding of music was limited to The Beatles and ZZ Top thanks to my dad, and whatever came on VH1 while my mother was doing chores.  Then, all around the same time, three pop songs dominated the airwaves: The first song I actually learned the lyrics to was Smash Mouth's Walking on the Sun, for a moot effort along with my dad's "band".  It's still one of my favorite songs.  I bought my first own CD - Santana's Supernatural, for one song.  And the very first song I ever downloaded off Morpheus (iTunes didn't exist, and Napster was the plague; anyone else remember those Wild West days?) was Three Doors Down's one and only hit.  That one I also remember fondly for being my first girlfriend's favorite song.  1998-2000 was a glorious and innocent time, when nobody had a care in the world or realized how much they sucked compared to ten years in the future.

So, what's everyone else's music history?  Or anything else music related you want to gab about.  It's a great universal topic, everyone had their own little memories.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:09:59 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff about music, just not favorites.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:07:08 pm »

Going to the orchestra tonight, and its all movie music.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 06:16:05 pm »

Funny how the musicians used to be patronized by nobility to write music for its own sake, then went into making music for opera and theatre, and now make music for movies. Its not so much a decline as a shift from being enjoyed by the elites to enjoyed by the masses. I like my Morrowind soundtrack, for example. Its hard to drive down a country road listening to adventurous music without wanting to hop out of the car and harvest random plants from a ditch and ask farmers if they need help killing rats in the barn.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 06:17:09 pm »

I think thats basic capitalism.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:09:39 pm »

Capitalism?  It's just following the money.  Although, I love those "inspired by the movie" albums that go ready to print months before movie actually comes out.  But trying to live out your videogame fantasies is indeed a dangerous passtime - picking your food off the ground and offering to do odd jobs for random strangers for pay makes you, at best, a hobo and at worst a schizophrenic kleptomaniac.  And trying to do the Stalker thing in real life will land you in jail.

I'm gonna change the title, to see if anyone posts their music history.  I think it's a fun subject.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:25:37 pm »

Just to kick off, I'll ask something of everyone for nostalgia's sake - what were your early music experiences?
I have no idea really, when I was younger I guess I was exposed to all the "popular" songs at the time so I know those at least for the beats.  I still didn't listen to any music when I actually had a choice on the matter, I'm not sure why.  I think I listened to 80's metal but that was lame.

Like, when did you first start paying attention when there was music of any kind around?
If you mean actually remembering band names and song titles that would probably be around two years ago.  Yeah.

What was the first song you ever said you liked?
Battery from Metallica.  I think I was like 14.  Yeah.

First band you saw live? 
Never been to a concert, had a chance to see Pink Floyd or Ozzy with my Dad, but I'm not a concert fan.

Most memorable music video? 
Um.  Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim.  To be fair it's only because of Christopher Walken.  A close second would be that The Distance by CAKE for being ridiculous.

First album you bought and/or song you "acquired" through the internet?
I have no idea.  Probably an anime OST soundtrack.

So, what's everyone else's music history?
Stuff I don't remember, but was popular like Journey and crap.  Then lame metal.  Then I actually got a culture variety.  I've heard a lot, but my favorites will always be songs with sick ass beats and lower on the lyrics.  I can list some of my favorite songs if you want, I think that shows my preferences off more.

Thriller by Micheal Jackson - 'nuff said
Pretty much ALL of the Phoenix Wright music - the link goes to one of my favorites
Savior and Prayer of the Refugee by Rise Against - I don't know I think they're good
Star Wolf from the Star Fox games - it has really good beats
You're Gonna Go Far Kid by The Offspring - mostly because it's so hot-blooded
Bang Shishigami's theme from Blazblue - speaking of hot-blooded
The La2t Frontiier and Spider's Claw Extended - favorite homestuck troll theme
Ten wo Tsuke and Libera Me From Hell from Gurren Lagann - these are just awesome
no Theme and Guns & Roses from Baccano! - really jazzy stuff
Main Theme, Salamander, and Erza's Theme from Fairy Tail - these are recent to me as well, but I like them
Overtaken and Unlimited Franky! Guarantee! from One Piece - show can go from badass to hilarious and work
This post I made earlier for Duke for Bleach - I think I'm done with anime now
Xing Symphony and Battle Scherzp from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - I guess not!  D:
Tor, Further, and Hero3D theme from Iji - the best ones in Iji
The Man with the Machine Gun from Final Fantasy VIII - I've never played any FF games really, but this one always stood out as a favorite
Zombie Panic from Zombies Ate my Neighbors - I can still hum this tune today
Don't Cry Jennifer from Clock Tower: The First Fear - this is probably the scariest song I've ever listened to and it still is
Hydrocity Theme OC Remix andBreathtaking Vision from Sonic 3 - hehehe  (bonus)
Dragula by Rob Zombie - whenever I watch The Matrix I'm like woah
Are you ready for this from Space Jam - ill beats
Eternity(music spoiler!) from Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - sick ass awesome

And uh, that's as much as I can remember before hitting the post button.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: What was your first music?
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 10:43:22 pm »

Well, the concert was some old classical pieces used in recent movies, and a 5th of Beethoven.

Honestly, that is the best song.

The best

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 10:45:01 pm »

This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 10:53:10 pm »

First song I liked (or so I've been told)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yevI8xCAKuc

(allegedly, I started crying everytime it neared finishing, and my parents had to prepare a loop tape with it in order to keep me quiet)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 10:53:32 pm »

Modern Smigenboger learned of music when Girl said "Hey listen to this band (Tool)". Smigenboger then had extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality. Oddly, after making a perfect circle of musical tastes and discovering A Perfect Circle, I ended up now mostly listening to club music. (Still can't dance well)

Ye Olde Smigenboger learned of music from playing the viola for five years.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 12:12:16 am »

Grew up mostly on Barenaked Ladies and Moxy Fruvous as well as a lot of general folk stuff. I still like it a lot, I just listen to it a lot less. My range has gotten pretty broad these days.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 12:25:56 am »

My earliest memories of music are fond ones of my Dad playing/singing tunes from XTC, the B-52's, and They Might Be Giants.

My first concert wasn't so nice though... it was after my folks split, and I was dragged away to an Earth Day concert with my mother. She wandered off with some guy, and left me with her pothead friends, who were grinning as they pressured a 9-year-old Solifuge to eat roasted hemp seeds (I think they were trying to prove a point or something). I remember the music was really loud and sucked... an angry woman in the vein of Alanis Morissette, with significantly less talent.

Took a while after that to warm up to concerts again. A few years back, I caught They Might Be Giants in Detroit, and it was awesome.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:28:44 am by Solifuge »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 04:09:58 am »

First song I enjoyed.

You have excellent taste my friend.  That is a great song on many levels.

My locality has four, arguably six, radio stations that play what could be called "rock".  One of them calls itself "The Edge", playing all the "latest" hits from the "edge" of music, ostensibly punk and such.  A surprisingly large portion of their airtime is given over to R.E.M. and Red Hot Chili Peppers songs from the early 90s.  But recently, they've crossed what I might call a bridge too far.  All radio stations like to play the same few songs for days at a time, until they acquire or shuffle some new ones in.  The current #1 played song on "The Edge" - Third Eye Blind's Semi Charmed Life, the epitome of turn-of-the-millennium bubblegum pop.

The funny thing is, I remember hating that song when it was new, like I did all crappy pop music, and I utterly forgot about such songs as they were consigned to the stale, moldy dustbin of 90s history.  Now, I can't stop humming it, because it's actually a really catchy song, except for the whiny refrain.  The more things change the more they... slightly change but mostly stay the same?  Fuck, there's a point here somewhere.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 04:33:42 am »

Just to kick off, I'll ask something of everyone for nostalgia's sake - what were your early music experiences?
For the most part, dad played Talking Heads, Johnny Cash, and various jazz, and mom played Deftones, Foo Fighters and Soul Coughing.
The older generation was all Beatles.

Like, when did you first start paying attention when there was music of any kind around?
I would sit around with these huge-ass headphones listening to jazz when I was around three, maybe even younger (oldest photo of me in 'phones, I still had blond hair).

What was the first song you ever said you liked?
Ring of Fire.
Link unnecessary.

First band you saw live? 
Some random jazz group.

Most memorable music video? 
Border of Extacy. (Not safe for work, school, or general sanity.)

First album you bought and/or song you "acquired" through the internet?
Once I started actually collecting, my first disks were Opiate (Tool) and Adrenaline (Deftones).
First album I actually bought myself is Across the Dark (Insomnium).

So, what's everyone else's music history?

At first, I hated my mom's music (except Deadbolt. Deadbolt is just awesome.) and only wanted to listen to my dad's stuff.
Then I drifted away from music for awhile, mostly as a result of discovering television and realising the magic of soundtracks.
Cowboy Bebop was one of the first shows I actually watched, before I even realised that anime is considered different than Western animation.
At some point, I discovered Edguy, and was thrust into a spiral of Power Metal that somehow left me listening to Folk Metal and Melodeath.
Rediscovered Deftones around the same time and began to like them a lot, too.
Weird Japanese stuff is mostly an extension of listening to anime soundtracks, starting with Bleach opening 5, I believe. The one with Rolling Star, by YUI.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 03:56:14 pm »

First time I actually listened to something not on the radio, tv, etc.?
I wasn't much of a fan of the lauder music (eg, rock, metal, etc.), so I thought it'd be nice to listen to some classical stuff. I ran "Mozart" in a youtube search, and well, it did sound very nice. A few months later my friends introduced me to Queen, then AC/DC, and now, I'm an avid Metallica fan. :-P
Pages: [1] 2