Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Determined Monster Defense  (Read 15096 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: Determined Monster Defense
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2010, 04:56:22 pm »

Maybe the shotgun could have different types of ammo? like a Slug shot, which has much less spread, but better range, or a flaming shot, which has a tiny range, but a chance to set the square it's aimed at on fire? Also, Fletchette shot, which does extra damage against soft targets (If we get a bloated zombie with more than 1 wound, for instance)

If this is done, the new ammo could replace the sidearm, or take a substantial ap cost to switch ammo.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2010, 05:22:04 pm »

Cool. Looking forward to the next round.

I really think we need Officers to help direct us, as well as the Assault rifles to give us some more flexibility.

I assume we'll have people re-pick classes/weapons and whatnot with the next section.

Also, as a general note, we *really* need to co-ordinate better between the engineers and the rest of us. We had a bunch of constructions that we didn't even use!

Next time, I suggest that we have the engineers plan their defenses and get them on the map before we place the weapons folks. That'll help a lot, since we made lots of really dumb decisions this time.

Having Officers helping to guide the decisions would be good too.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

cheezy130

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2010, 05:44:58 pm »

Awesome, we won.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2010, 06:10:25 pm »

Alright, those all sound good.  I've put them in the second post, now the "suggestions/todo" post.

About officers: They should have some in-game effect of course, probably a small passive buff to others' AP, but it sounds like you mean for them to direct others.  Maybe if a player doesn't post on time, I auto them in accordance with the officers' plan(s).

Awesome, we won.
Gratz!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2010, 06:24:54 pm »

About officers: They should have some in-game effect of course, probably a small passive buff to others' AP, but it sounds like you mean for them to direct others.  Maybe if a player doesn't post on time, I auto them in accordance with the officers' plan(s).

That is an excellent idea!

Does mean the Officer needs to be active and pay attention to what everyone needs to do, but then they won't be doing much attacking on their own so they can focus on everyone else.

Officer should just have a Side Arm. They can defend themselves, but their job is NOT to kill zombies. It's to keep everyone coordinated.

Maybe let them have an ability where for 2AP they can give another player 1AP? It'd represent them shouting specific orders and motivating people.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2010, 06:25:56 pm »

Idea for new special
Burrower
5 Ap
0 ap grab
5 ap bite
0 ap burrow
Abilities: Cold blooded, and is able to go underground for 1 turn once per game (but is still able to move), while underground is completely invisible (including to tower), and is able to ignore fire. Ignores trenches. While underground ignores walls

So this would mean that if its exposed it would move, then after moving go underground, then it would pop back up next turn (after finishing its move so it could avoid flames) and be able to grab/bite if it has the ap.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:28:26 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2010, 06:32:25 pm »

One issue I see with this game so far, chain guns are suppose to basically kill tons of commons but almost no specials. With the fact that they can move a bit before they shoot, it is going to be very hard for them to not kill specials. Just a thought.

Also a tower, it protects who is in it for a bit and allows them to shoot over the hoards.

And for start next time we should most likely agree on a place and way to start, THEN set up.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2010, 07:23:24 pm »

One issue I see with this game so far, chain guns are suppose to basically kill tons of commons but almost no specials. With the fact that they can move a bit before they shoot, it is going to be very hard for them to not kill specials. Just a thought.

While this is mainly me being a less-than-optimal player (trying to get the turns done), I think I'll take a page from Space Hulk (the origin of my unidentified "blip" system) and not track the specials until they're revealed.  Which makes them much more dangerous, of course - a shotgun or chaingun will never get lucky and hit a hidden one.  They can't use abilities while hidden, but I can convert a blip into one and have it move immediately.  So build towers! :D
And yes, this means I can spawn cold-blooded specials *anywhere out of sight*.  Again, towers - and perhaps a special observation ability.

To keep the commons predictable, which is a serious priority for me, they'll all move before the revealed specials do, as if the specials aren't there.  Then the specials move, and any common they end the turn on disappear.  In other words, the specials don't block commons, and commons don't block specials.

Another thing: I wasn't consistent about the situation where two or more commons walk into a fire simultaneously - if they're both adjacent to it for example (and there's a player on the other side).  Like this:
Code: [Select]
Z
Z!@
Z

Do they all walk into the fire, or do they all move 1 square right (like if the fire wasn't there).  I think I'll stick with the former, where they all die, because it's like the old game Robots (was that the name?).  That does make fire very powerful, but I think that's balanced by a movement penalty and a scrolling battlefield.

Also a tower, it protects who is in it for a bit and allows them to shoot over the hoards.
Hm, alright.  Maybe this should replace camera towers, since zed-identification is suddenly even more important.

And for start next time we should most likely agree on a place and way to start, THEN set up.
Heh.  I tried to get the engineers to set up their constructions before the fight, but most wouldn't.  In retrospect it was a bit silly to expect the engineers to sit around with a melee weapon the whole fight.  Constructing during battle is better.
But to address your actual point, there'll be a choice of what your team is moving towards, and that will affect the situation and your setup.

Idea for new special
Burrower
5 Ap
0 ap grab
5 ap bite
0 ap burrow
Abilities: Cold blooded, and is able to go underground for 1 turn once per game (but is still able to move), while underground is completely invisible (including to tower), and is able to ignore fire. Ignores trenches. While underground ignores walls

So this would mean that if its exposed it would move, then after moving go underground, then it would pop back up next turn (after finishing its move so it could avoid flames) and be able to grab/bite if it has the ap.

Oh, that sounds dangerous!  Yeah, I'll add that.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2010, 09:26:49 pm »

Have an alternate options for all classes, or at least the short-ranged ones, if they don't want to shoot.
For twice the AP of a normal shot a flamer can shoot a fuel patch that will catch fire if an adjacent tile catches fire, allowing them to set up a wall of fire if they have a lot of time on their hands.
Shotgunners could load extra shells, granting them slightly increased range and spread on their next shot.
Snipers could use binoculars to scout a 3x3 patch somewhere.
Chaingunners could do some rangefinding, slightly increasing their effective range if they shoot from the same spot in a similar angle, or perhaps if the sighted location is within their field of fire and close to their maximum range.

Allies can only damage grabbers with single-shot weapons, basically snipers, shovels, or sidearms.
If a sniper shoots a grabber then the required precision limits or prevents their penetration.
If a grabber is killed by an ally then the grabee loses four of their AP for the turn, but can otherwise act normally.
You can attack into a ditch if you are within a certain range, but it prevents you from hitting anything beyond the ditch.
you can be grabbed from a ditch.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

cheezy130

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 19, 2010, 12:46:36 pm »

Will the new round be hosted in this thread or are you making a new one?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2010, 01:38:31 pm »

Will the new round be hosted in this thread or are you making a new one?

This one I think.  I'll PM everyone who played last round when the new one starts.
It'll probably be after Thanksgiving, since I'm going to be extra busy next week.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]