Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Determined Monster Defense  (Read 15178 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Determined Monster Defense
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2010, 06:57:08 pm »

move South, build ditches at 8,21 and 9,21, move southwest.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2010, 11:06:33 pm »

Remember to build walls and windows engies, sooner or later we won't be able to stand out in the open.
Hello Hunam

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2010, 11:31:25 pm »

Yep, next time, I didn't have the movement to reach my existing constructions and build something.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2010, 11:53:59 pm »

Forget about the 2.5, I was measuring them a different way then you, yours works.

I will move South East two squares. Then fire at the arc of Slightly more then 1 to 3.

Hitting 15,13 and 15,14. Empty 16,12. 16,11 to 16,9. 17,8 to 6. Netting me eight commons and seeing into that square hopefully.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:56:16 pm by Criptfeind »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2010, 11:39:40 am »

Move one square right.

Fire at 31,16 and 34,17
Alright.

make 2 ditches on the left side of the left ditch (which I made at (21,24))
You move to 21,25 and dig some dirt.

Move 1 square back. Empty the Chaingun north then turn to face Northwest, still with the trigger down.
I assumed you'd rather shoot before retreating if you could, and you can, so you did. 
You take down 23 commons and reveal no specials, and you will fire northwest next turn.
I had to think about what counts as a hit.  I think I said the center of the tile needs to be in the firing area, and I went with that (an alternative was "at least half the tile has to be in the firing area", which would make the chaingun fail at point-blank, but that's so much harder to verify for no real benefit).  I'm not that 21,9 and 25,9 were actually hits, but they're close enough to count.

Move two tiles East then.
You move and shoot, killing 22 commons and exposing the Runner.  It looks surprised for a moment before Megaman caps it.

I incinerate 14*16 and 16*16, and move back a space.
Looks good.

What I'd like to do is wait and shoot them when they come in range, but that's not an option, so instead I'll move to 25,22
Alright but, would you like to fire next turn?  It won't cost you any AP this turn (6AP this turn) but you have to decide to do it on this turn.  Technically it's too late now but go ahead and tell me.  It's a weird rule.

move South, build ditches at 8,21 and 9,21, move southwest.
No problem.

Forget about the 2.5, I was measuring them a different way then you, yours works.

I will move South East two squares. Then fire at the arc of Slightly more then 1 to 3.

Hitting 15,13 and 15,14. Empty 16,12. 16,11 to 16,9. 17,8 to 6. Netting me eight commons and seeing into that square hopefully.
I'm sure you meant 15,12 instead of 15,14, no prob.  Also you can't hit 16,9 and 17,8 without hitting 17,9 or 16,8 (No shooting through the diagonal gap, you can't even see through it).  Anyway, excellent shot!  You take down 8 commons and expose Runner #2, who has to dodge your bullet.
Actually you can't see the Runner because of the inferno, but it's ID'd anyway because he didn't go down.

I'll run back two and shoot directly in front of me, but if the runner gets in my LOS I will shoot him instead, yay for my turn coming last.
Sheb's chaingun clears a path, and you take the shot.  Runner 1 goes down, as do 6 commons behind him.  You have exposed another one, Runner 3!

I figured out how to make my job a lot easier with layers, then I totally didn't.  So the enemy turn may be up in an hour or so.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2010, 12:05:17 pm »

Rolan, as you've said we're all professional soldiers so are getting supplied regularly and don't have to mess around with 'moneys'. Is it possible to requisition items to be brought up for us? eg grenades/Machine gun emplacements/the like. Naturally this would take time but it is a little more realistic. (Yes, I'm trying to scrounge more equipment  :D)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2010, 12:50:48 pm »

Rolan, as you've said we're all professional soldiers so are getting supplied regularly and don't have to mess around with 'moneys'. Is it possible to requisition items to be brought up for us? eg grenades/Machine gun emplacements/the like. Naturally this would take time but it is a little more realistic. (Yes, I'm trying to scrounge more equipment  :D)

More different types of equipment?  Definitely.  Grenades are good, airstrikes are good, a reinforcement system that replaces dead players.  When the game starts "for serious" I plan on the map scrolling downward - you'll be expected to lose ground every turn.  This keeps engineers busy making new fortifications (and perhaps laying mines which they can explode later in the middle of the horde).

After you've made it back to a rally point, there some interesting directions this could go.  First, though, I need to automate a lot of this, and rewrite large portions of the rules (I haven't been editting the first post).  Also, spoiler alert, this test run might not take much longer.

Edit: Oh, whoops, I forgot some player's movement orders.  Too busy with their attack orders.  The situation isn't so dire anymore.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:53:45 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2010, 12:59:18 pm »

Okay guys, we need some kind of strategy. Just no people running around. I vote we fall back on the southeastern side of the map, shoot the eastern part of the horde then flank it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2010, 01:19:48 pm »

Right now I'm focusing on keeping the easternmost horde walled in a bit with fire so the people west of me can wipe out the zombies in their area. I'm slowing moving south and west as I do this.

Actually, considering that we're supposed to be professional military, I think we should determine which of us is the Officer in charge. One person making plans and letting us know what needs to be done should help reduce some of the chaos.

Not saying that we need one person going "Ok, you go to x,y and you go to xx,yy, and you stay where you are and...", but someone with a basic plan and giving people general orders like "Ok, A,B and C need to fall back now. D & E, keep firing to give them support as they move back". That sort of thing.

If classes go in an Officer class that can do things like give people extra AP or whatnot would be nice.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 01:22:09 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2010, 01:24:33 pm »

Sheb is grabbed!  It takes a common their entire turn to bite, so he's OK if there are no commons adjacent to him next turn.
Another rule change, just so a grabbed player isn't sitting on their hands: you can shoot one of them off with your sidearm, just one shot though.
I went ahead and moved Archangel behind the ditches.

Figuring out what zeds were going after what players, and how they bumped into each other as they did so, was a nightmare.  I probably made some mistakes and may have dropped a few zeds altogether (though most died by walking into infernos.

It seems wrong that units can move diagonally between two things, but not see into that same space.  The common's diagonal movement saved a lot of them from roasting, too.

The system I was trying to follow was:
Commons all move one square at the same time, five times.  They move toward the player the least moves away (so 5 diagonal moves is preferable to 6 vertical ones, which looks weird).  In case of tie, they prefer to move orthogonally.  They move diagonally first if possible, unless there's another common trying to move there already.

I probably didn't follow that perfectly, but that was the idea.  I am reasonably certain I can automate this in the future.

If classes go in an Officer class that can do things like give people extra AP or whatnot would be nice.
Sounds good!

Edit: Haha uploaded the non-fogged version by accident.  Coulda sworn I checked... Ah well, one sec. Fixed
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 01:27:43 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2010, 01:25:01 pm »

I second those. oh yeh, a suggestion to snipers, instead of popping lines striaght thorugh the horde, shoot diagonals, you get more that way.  ;)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »

Can I safely toast a zombie that has grabbed someone?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2010, 01:28:46 pm »

I second those. oh yeh, a suggestion to snipers, instead of popping lines striaght thorugh the horde, shoot diagonals, you get more that way.  ;)

Maximum of 8, though ;)

Can I safely toast a zombie that has grabbed someone?
Yep!
She/they

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2010, 01:30:07 pm »

Ok, I should be able to get the zombie off of you, Sheb.

Depending on how the map looks, of course.
Come play Mafia with us!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2010, 01:30:27 pm »

No need for the toast. If we can choose the order we play, what we can do is: Megaman shoot the common ahead of me, I shoot the one in diagonals, then get the fuck out of there, then you flame the way behind.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16