Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel for the fire  (Read 1090 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fuel for the fire
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:53:55 pm »

How do add fuel (haven't reached magma yet) to a forge or furnace? Or can I only use magma?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel for the fire
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:55:21 pm »

Smelters, forges, and glass furnaces automatically use any free fuel you have. No need to manually add fuel.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:56:15 pm »

Make a wood furnace and burn some wood. That will get you charcoal. After that, you can use stones like lignite or bituminous coal to create coke. If I recall correctly, lignite makes two units of coke and bituminous coal makes three.

Things with Magma in their name can only work with magma. Likewise, those without can only use solid fuel.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 11:57:57 pm »

thanks. I've been playing for almost 2 months now and have yet to construct a forge because I couldn't figure that out. :P
I only play legends mode

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 12:02:04 am »

how have you survived without?  trading?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:17:03 am »

It actually isn't that difficult; you just rely on architecture traps for defense rather than weapon traps or, y'know, weapons. Flood traps, magma or otherwise, can be built without forges or furnaces, as can cavein traps, atomsmasher traps, and probably other general trap categories that I'm somehow forgetting at the moment. You could also be trapping sieges and ambush squads in a place overlooked by fortifications and had marksdwarves shoot the hell out of them with bone and wood crossbows and bolts. In short, there's plenty of ways of killing things without having to deal with metal weapons or armor.

Or you could just be sealing your fort with a raised drawbridge whenever trouble rears its head. That's boring, but safe.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 12:19:46 am »

I do the second because I am an emasculate waif.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 12:37:07 am »

Make a wood furnace and burn some wood. That will get you charcoal. After that, you can use stones like lignite or bituminous coal to create coke. If I recall correctly, lignite makes two units of coke and bituminous coal makes three.

Things with Magma in their name can only work with magma. Likewise, those without can only use solid fuel.

To be more specific, Magma Smelters, Magma Kilns, Magma Glass Furnaces and Magma Forges all use magma as a fuel source. They are not available for construction until you discover magma.

Also of note when using magma-based forges; you'll still need coke (or refined coal, if you're following game-speak) to make pig iron and steel, therefore you'll need to keep your Wood Furnace around if you don't have a ready supply of Lignite or Bituminous Coal around.

It actually isn't that difficult; you just rely on architecture traps for defense rather than weapon traps or, y'know, weapons. Flood traps, magma or otherwise, can be built without forges or furnaces, as can cavein traps, atomsmasher traps, and probably other general trap categories that I'm somehow forgetting at the moment. You could also be trapping sieges and ambush squads in a place overlooked by fortifications and had marksdwarves shoot the hell out of them with bone and wood crossbows and bolts. In short, there's plenty of ways of killing things without having to deal with metal weapons or armor.

Or you could just be sealing your fort with a raised drawbridge whenever trouble rears its head. That's boring, but safe.

Indeed, without a working metals industry (which of course also means no weapons & armor industry) you can still get the upper hand on enemies. A good example is using Cage Traps; most common enemies (with the exception of thieves, FBs and most Clowns) are susceptible to traps. Which means with a good array of traps and clever planning, you can have most of siege or ambush safely locked up. Once locked up, you can strip them of their weapons and armor (the method to do so is here), which provides you with the arms needed to handle the next wave. Also, you can use the naked and vulnerable enemies as training targets (good supply of bones and skulls for bone crafts).

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 12:47:38 am »

I mostly rely on traps and a few epic wrestle dwarfs, trade for weapons or steal them from stupid elves. I just never got that far to really need them honestly.
I am currently working on my most successful fort, a 7 year fort in a wild region.
catch up on it at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69729.0
please.... there is too much fun atm... :-[
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:49:22 am by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
  • Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 12:16:12 pm »

So what do you do when the Wood Furnace decides it won't burn wood?  I've assigned people to burn wood in the furnace, but for some reason nobody seems to be doing it, and the workshop title is in red.

Any ideas on what's going wrong/not set right here?

Harry Voyager

Addendum:  Nevermind.  The titles of furnaces are naturally red, and it was just that none of my dwarfs were even remotely interested in making fuel for all of the metalwork that they aren't doing.  Naturally.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:43:40 pm by Voyager »

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 01:18:07 pm »

The wood furnace uses a special labor called wood burning (not furnace operating). It's in the Farming related labor category.