Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Good News about the Election!  (Read 5344 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Good News about the Election!
« on: November 03, 2010, 06:38:39 pm »

We can all talk about something other than American politics for at least a year.

I recommend alcohol, military history and firearms. In that order.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good News about the Election!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:41:26 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:39:43 pm »

It won't happen. You guys are like the family from Arrested Development - we love to watch your zany think-we're-still-awesome-but-we're-totally-disconnected-from-the-real-world antics!

...Well, the analogy broke down once I remembered the show was cancelled, because apparently not enough people wanted to watch the antics. I tried to make it continue to work, but it wasn't pretty. Still, recent history indicates something fun/horrible will pop up soon and the rest of the world  (admittedly, primarily western in this case) can laugh without realising we're only a little less screwed. Maybe Texas or Ohio will ban all pictures of breasts or Scientology will assassinate the president for calling them "a little bit dodgy" or some other thing they find insulting. Then we'll all start talking about how the current or previous administration is at fault.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:41:43 pm by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:08:51 pm »

I'll bite, here's the list of firearms I want/have

First gun, love it, but .45ACP is expensive.
SKS
Fun shooter, ammo is cheaper than 45 so it's an investment.
CZ-75b
For cheaper pistol shooting
M1 Garand
To go with my 1911
Mosin Nagant
For killing nazis, zombies, and nazi zombies
Lee Enfield Number 4
Every enfield I've shot, I've loved.  Probably my favorite bolt action rifle.
Arisaka
(notice a pattern yet?)  A pristine one would be nice, but a "last ditch" model would also be kind of cool for the history.
Karabiner 98k
To round out my WW2 collection of major rifles.  Notably absent is the Carcano.  I've shot a few of these and they have the worse sights I've ever seen on a rifle.  Not fun to shoot.
M1903
Beautiful rifle.  I haven't gotten a chance to shoot one yet, but I'm a sucker for the old military bolt actions.
M14
Another beauty.  Accurate and hard hitting.  Would probably be my longer range target shooting rifle.  None of those goofy SOCOM versions, full length wood and metal.
SIG556
Everyone and their dog has an ar15, I'd prefer something a little different.
FN FAL
Battle rifles are sexy, especially the FN FAL.

I think that's about it for now, I wish I had more money :(.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:27:09 pm »

I'd like a flintlock blunderbus or large barreled muskatoon. Just for the experience of firing one really.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:47:24 pm »

I have both a Mosin and a Mauser and really don't get to shoot them enough as it is.

Cousin is rebuilding an M1919 though.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:50:14 pm »

I perfer clocks on my mantlepiece.  They aren't required to go off by Act 3.

Just at midnight.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:51:41 pm »

I see what you did there.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 09:56:40 pm »

Oooh, I see, everyone ignore Agdune's ramblings. You's are all in on it, I know!

Anyway, I have a mk4 Lee enfield (middling quality, I don't particularly like it. Feels nasty to shoot and the worn out barrel takes forever to clean afterwards, due to all the pitting and pockmarks hiding soot from my cleaning patches) and an Isreali K98 manufactured in Brno, rechambered to 7.62mm and evidently left in storage untill recently. I love that one, it feel good to shoot, it's damn accurate and the bore is in near-pristine condition. After looking it up I'm strongly tempted to think it might be one of the first 4500 bought by Isreal, especially since it, y'know, makes sense, being Chech made, having the nice 7.62 burned into the butt and etched into the receiver. Kinda weird to think it was probably actually used over there...

The only problems I have with my beloved mauser whatsoever is that A) whoever put it in storage must've dipped it in oil first or something, whenever it's left in anything above "really cold" surroundings the woodwork weeps oil. I often have to wipe it down with a rag while using it, it gets so bad. B) Whatever gunsmith who did the rechambering failed to make sure the saftey worked afterwards. Y'know the little latch on the back of the K98 which you can flip up and/or over to hold the firing pin back? Yeah, the back end of the firing pin was turned around and now there's no little groove for the latch to go into. So, it's less safe than the average rifle to carry around.

I also recently got some hand-me-downs from my Grandfather who died of complications from leukemia earlier in the year. A heavily modified Lee-Enfield Mk4 (turned into the most bare-bones .410 shotgun I've ever seen - basically a pipe with a trigger and a butt now), a .22 Air rifle and an ancient feeling little Lithglow model B .22 rifle (much like this one: http://www.owenguns.com/used-guns/lithgow-%E2%80%93-slazanger-model-b-single-shot-22-long-rifle/). It's all rusted up and has wood worms in the butt. Still, it's cool, like using a home-made gun almost, it's so simply constructed. Even have to cock the firing pin manually!

Oh, and I also have one of those new-fangled Brno .22 CZ 452-2E thingies. (Identical to: http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q114/dancz/Rimfire/CZ452-2E22Mag.jpg) It's nice, cheap, simple and will last forever.

Unfortunately I live 300km from where I store the guns (at my parents). So obviously, I don't get to shoot much.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 10:02:51 pm »

The only problems I have with my beloved mauser whatsoever is that A) whoever put it in storage must've dipped it in oil first or something, whenever it's left in anything above "really cold" surroundings the woodwork weeps oil. I often have to wipe it down with a rag while using it, it gets so bad. B) Whatever gunsmith who did the rechambering failed to make sure the saftey worked afterwards. Y'know the little latch on the back of the K98 which you can flip up and/or over to hold the firing pin back? Yeah, the back end of the firing pin was turned around and now there's no little groove for the latch to go into. So, it's less safe than the average rifle to carry around.

Sounds like cosmoline, the bane of the surplus rifle collector.  What has worked for a lot of people is taking the rifle apart and putting it in the oven at about 150f (don't get it much hotter than that, and put down some foil to catch drips).  Getting all of that crap out of my sks's trigger assembly was Fun in the df sense of the word.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 10:11:30 pm »

Yep, that's cosmo. Also consider wrapping it in paper towels, then a garbage bag, then another garbage bag, leaving it in direct Aussie sunlight for a few days and seeing how much weeps out of the wood.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 12:54:23 am »

And I thought you were going to rub it in.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:48:12 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:05:59 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 09:58:03 am »

I want a Thompson and a Mosin-Nagant.  Both are awesome and both fought the Nazi's.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:31:43 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 03:01:11 pm »

My Mauser fought the Commies and my Mosin fought the Nazis. So I've got my bases covered.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5