Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Fish in the Ocean?  (Read 468 times)

Garrette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Fish in the Ocean?
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:07:50 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking these forums for quite awhile, getting answers to the many questions that come up while playing DF as well
as reading everyone's stories. Now I have a question I can't find a solid answer to anywhere:
I setup my fortress by the ocean in a temperate climate, and brought along a skilled Fisherdwarf hoping to keep myself well
supplied with fresh fish. The problem I'm having is that my dwarves aren't catching any fish in the ocean. I've tried setting up
a fishing zone on the ocean, and my dwarves tried to fish there and then reporting that there's no fish in the ocean.
What gives? I see vermin fish in the ocean, though I've read this has nothing to do with actual fish fished up by your dwarves.
Any advice on what to do about it, if anything?

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: No Fish in the Ocean?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:28:27 pm »

I don't know much about fishing in DF, however IIRC the ocean can be fished out, but it 'refills' each year.

What I just said may be total rubish. Take advice at your own risk. XD
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Garrette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »

I checked my status screen and I've never fished up a single fish in the 2 years my fortress has been going : (

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:28:04 pm »

For starters, please don't insert manual returns in your posts, it really screws up the formatting on smaller monitors :-).

Back on topic, yeah, getting fish seems pretty hit or miss. Regarding personal experience, I like doing oceanside forts and out of the last several I've played, only one had any fish in the entire embark. None in the ocean, none in the murky pools, etc. The one that did have fish just had oysters, and nothing else.

Regarding the "vermin fish" you see blinking around in the ocean, they don't correlate in any way to actually catching fish.

In short, you're probably out of luck. If you're up for it, do a bunch of embarks and world gens until you find fish, because there will never be any at your current location.

Garrette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 12:37:06 am »

Sorry about the manual spacing, I made the post at work using a heavily outdated browser. I had to manually space it like that so I could actually see what was being typed, my apologies.

I kind of figured I was out of luck, but was grasping for some kind of trick that could be used to populate the ocean. It's not really a huge issue, but I look forward to a fix in the future. Thanks for the informative reply, much appreciated.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 03:08:32 am »

I've tried setting up a fishing zone on the ocean, and my dwarves tried to fish there and then reporting that there's no fish in the ocean.

Not sure if this is your problem, but you stated you set it up 'ON' the Ocean.  Your Fisherdwarves need dry land to stand on, so include some shoreline when you Zone for fishing.

Garrette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 04:16:08 pm »

I did have a good amount of the shore selected as well. I guess there's just no fish in my ocean hehe.