Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Is there any place that is really impossible to create and maintain a fortress?  (Read 5760 times)

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any word on the "swimming skill to embark on the ocean" thing? And barring that, any way to properly mod it so dwarves CAN work underwater? I would seriously love to make something like this.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

Any word on the "swimming skill to embark on the ocean" thing? And barring that, any way to properly mod it so dwarves CAN work underwater? I would seriously love to make something like this.

Sadly, no. You can mod them amphibious and let them path through water, but it's still hardcoded that they'll freak out and stop working once they're submerged.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

well, uh, I'll try that

sad. could toady make legendary swimmers work underwater  :D PLEASE!!! PLEASE! PLEASE!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile

Perhaps embarking on a frozen ocean would allow you to dig down before it goes all watery on your ass. I haven't tried it, but it sounds reasonable.  :D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

HEY YEAH! FROZEN BIOME AND EMBARKANYWHERE! wait, can someone give me a link to it? I'll search modding for it, but just in case...

I shall try it. actually, I remember doing it in a frozen major river, but there was land there :)

*goes off to search modding forum*
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps embarking on a frozen ocean would allow you to dig down before it goes all watery on your ass. I haven't tried it, but it sounds reasonable.  :D

I'm certain it has been tried. I don't remember what the results were, and I don't think it's been tried in the latest release.
If you want invaders, you'll have to make them all amphibious, however.

Q - would a "kobold fish" steal submerged items you've lost in the water?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile

I'm certain it has been tried. I don't remember what the results were, and I don't think it's been tried in the latest release.

I can imagine it's been tried before. After all, this is dwarf fortress isn't it?

Something stealing all the things falling into the water (sea / lake / rivers) would be interesting. A coastal fortress I built over the sea had all kinds of crap lying around in the water below that I would never be getting back anyway.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

sadly the only ocean in this world is in the hot pole, genning a new one...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can imagine it's been tried before. After all, this is dwarf fortress isn't it?

Something stealing all the things falling into the water (sea / lake / rivers) would be interesting. A coastal fortress I built over the sea had all kinds of crap lying around in the water below that I would never be getting back anyway.

Exactly.

As for creating a frozen-ocean fortress - I can't get "Embark Anywhere" to work with the current version. Is there anyone who has? The stickied MOD list says "some people claim" it still does. So I am confused. Also, I want to embark anywhere!
[/quote]

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

me too

whoever finds it gets 2 cookies!!
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow. It really is easier just to ask.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72789.msg1791702#msg1791702

There's 3 methods, apparently.
[/quote]

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

6 cookies for 3 methods!

wow the search function is really broken
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sadly, no. You can mod them amphibious and let them path through water, but it's still hardcoded that they'll freak out and stop working once they're submerged.

What about the [NOBREATHE] tag? >.>

Edit: Silly to ask, when I have !!SCIENCE!! available, I suppose. Have tried adding every tag I could think of, stealing a lot of them direct from the merpeople template, but no luck. Aquatic!dwarves still flatly refuse to path through water. This is greatly disappointing.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:03:46 pm by JarinArenos »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about the [NOBREATHE] tag? >.>

Edit: Silly to ask, when I have !!SCIENCE!! available, I suppose. Have tried adding every tag I could think of, stealing a lot of them direct from the merpeople template, but no luck. Aquatic!dwarves still flatly refuse to path through water. This is greatly disappointing.

That's actually a step up. Used to be they'd path, then realize they were submerged and freak out.
[/quote]

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[swim_innate] [amphibious] [aquatic] [nofear] [nobreathe], ... *sigh* [noluck]

So basically, "hazardous terrain" isn't actually based on what's hazardous to a creature, it's simply hardcoded that water over 3/7 is hazardous to dwarves. Am I missing anything here? Seems rather disappointing after all the detail that DOES get calculated in this game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4