Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Is there any place that is really impossible to create and maintain a fortress?  (Read 5758 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

[swim_innate] [amphibious] [aquatic] [nofear] [nobreathe], ... *sigh* [noluck]

So basically, "hazardous terrain" isn't actually based on what's hazardous to a creature, it's simply hardcoded that water over 3/7 is hazardous to dwarves. Am I missing anything here? Seems rather disappointing after all the detail that DOES get calculated in this game.

Yes. Well, it's based on the idea that water of a certain height (I think the "neck level" changes with size) is hazardous to an entity creature. At least for the purposes of cancelling/avoiding pathing. I am now wondering how this translates to the "Frog Rider Drowns in Moat. Frog Thows Off Shackles Of Oppressor" events. Do those still happen?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But it's just dwarves that it applies to. Non-player aquatic/amphibious creatures and races have no trouble moving through the water. I'm trying to figure out if there's a tag somewhere I'm missing, but I don't think there is. I think it's simply hardcoded that player-race can't move through fluids.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

But it's just dwarves that it applies to. Non-player aquatic/amphibious creatures and races have no trouble moving through the water. I'm trying to figure out if there's a tag somewhere I'm missing, but I don't think there is. I think it's simply hardcoded that player-race can't move through fluids.

None of them are involved in the job-menus. It's somewhere in that system that WATER=BAD (fire=good?)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

It's not a "dwarves are affected by water", it's a "your sentient site entities that you are controlling are affected by water".  It's intrinsic to Dwarf Mode, in other words, because so many other things are considered more important in the queue of stuff to implement.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]