Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Is there any place that is really impossible to create and maintain a fortress?  (Read 5756 times)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile

Pretty much, but your dwarves can live off of drinking water that first year until the elves get there with a booze shipment. Booze management in such a situation would be high priority. Non important dwarves need to be locked away in burrows with jus wells and your important ones in burrows with the booze supply. The OP was looking for impossible places to embark hehe, think we found something for him.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question.  Doesn't it still rain in all biomes?  I played in a Hot Biome, dug a Cistern connected to the bottom of an empty Murky Pool, and even tho the rain pretty much evaporated as soon as it hit the ground, I was surprised at how much actually drained down into my Cistern.  True, this particular Biome had some plants/trees growing above-ground (sparse I think it was).  I haven't played in alot of locations yet, so haven't tried a desert.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was an utility called embarkeverywhere that allowed you to embark in places that would otherwise be forbidden. However, that was for 40D, I don't know if there is a similar tool for the current version.

As stated in here, Embark Anywhere does work with 31.** versions as well. It may complain, but works. Going to try it out myself, though it may take a bit as it needs a bit fiddling...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe where there are so many undead creatures, no matter where you start they attack you.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Arclacke

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile

OP here, I'm asking this because I am VERY new, the only place I played was the save of the tutorial TinyPirate, and hardly I find a place to embark on a place that has limestone cave and dry. I would love to learn to learn to play anywhere, btw, thanks for all :)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

The only one that would be outright impossible is embark anywhere open ocean.  Your dwarves would just drown upon embarking.  Even if you embark on solid mountain, all you have to do is get to the caverns quickly enough to irrigate some stone, and you're golden from there.

Well, there are a few bugged embarks where, say, a volcano erupts the moment you get there, immediately starting a fire and killing all your dwarves, or if a section of cavern ends up being suspended over the center tile (where the wagon shows up) and immediately caves in, crushing your dwarves.

But, aside from those bugged embarks, I'd say open ocean is the only that is outright impossible.  The rest are just tricky.  As long as you have enough time to get underground, you're golden.

Hey, give your dwarfs lots of swimming skill, then dig STRAIGHT DOWN, then diagonal, then up and store your stuff, there's gonna be nothing coming in from above ground... with an aquifer you can drain the ocean into the aquifer and then you're good. You even have dry land to work with!

anyways...
yeah, no caverns + freezing + no murky pools + no aquifer (i.e. no water) + volcano left me with trying to open up a place where there would be lots of Fun for adventurers...

and arclacke welcome to the show, just keep playing and dieing and everything will be fine.

cheers.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile

Maybe where there are so many undead creatures, no matter where you start they attack you.

gonna plug my own thread here but whatever. check the bottom link in my sig. i did some tests and it seems a skilled shieldwarf with a wooden shield can do a lot against common creatures, maybe even some of the harder undead you find on embarks.

the fort i'm playing now is on an evil embark and first thing i did was dig a hole by channeling, take all my stuff to stockpiles inside and removed the ramps. on the surface were skeletal horses which are fucking killers. skipping some of the embark stuff that you probably wont need in an undead biome anyway (like quivers and bolts) it might be possible to get a shieldwarf or two and a couple of shields (maybe just pack the wood, although i think the wagon gives you 3 units once you deconstruct it which is enough for 3 shields i think. so generally, if you hide fast enough, undead or any other surface monster shouldn't be a problem and you can reclaim the surface once you get those dwarves trained.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Hey, give your dwarfs lots of swimming skill, then dig STRAIGHT DOWN, then diagonal, then up and store your stuff, there's gonna be nothing coming in from above ground... with an aquifer you can drain the ocean into the aquifer and then you're good. You even have dry land to work with!

Even if you can swim, it's still dangerous terrain, and they won't actually work in the water.  I think.  Which is very sad because that sounds awesome to try.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems like an underground ocean fort will just have to be started in ADVENTURE mode first. As soon as an adventurer can dig, he should be able to start the fort off, and then you can embark to it.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

Even if you can swim, it's still dangerous terrain, and they won't actually work in the water.  I think.  Which is very sad because that sounds awesome to try.

I shall try... for !!SCIENCE!!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile

Yes, please give us the results on this.  I would absolutely love to try it if possible.  I can just hear my dwarven outpost liason and migrants now.  "Hey we're here to urgle burgle glub glub"

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

Yes, please give us the results on this.  I would absolutely love to try it if possible.  I can just hear my dwarven outpost liason and migrants now.  "Hey we're here to urgle burgle glub glub"

Didn't someone try to do this with a temporarily frozen ocean?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the older version(s) there were places that were highly difficult (but still not impossible, I had a thriving fort on an evil glacier in 40d).  However now that there are caverns everywhere (meaning you have access to water and a variety of useful things, if you are willing to risk it..) and an overabundance of useful ore (metal/etc), magma on every map and a huge increase in magma safe items I really don't think there is any place that it would be terribly difficult to create and maintain a fort.

If caverns were gone then anyplace that has no water would be hard, particularly the desert (as any water around tends to dry up right away, frozen water can, as people have mentioned be caved in if you need it bad enough).

Ultimately though no there is certainly no impossible place so long as the game allows you to embark there in the first place.

-MB

Swivelguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, after seeing this thread, I decided to start a fortress on a cavern-less glacier. It's actually not that hard to survive. I embarked with 4 skilled miners, made 4 DIY bronze picks, and brought a bull and 3 cows, to jumpstart a meat industry later on. By the middle of the 2nd month, you can have water available via caving in ice, and a decent level of happiness can be maintained with that.

Of course, Fun happened, and a Yeti just slaughtered my whole fortress. Next time: greater focus on getting everything underground and protected with traps early on.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

So long as you still have magma, a more permanent water solution is heating ice from underneath (or above?) and then if you get low, re-freezing it to keep up supply.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4