Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farming on constructed floors?  (Read 5989 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Farming on constructed floors?
« on: November 03, 2010, 10:54:32 am »

Just a simple question for a little project: Can I farm on muddied constructed floors?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming on constructed floors?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:55:06 pm »

The wiki claims that any surface will do, once you irrigate it.  However, I seem to recall reading somewhere else that dwarves will clean up mud on smoothed floors, which will then make the farm plots stop working.  I don't recall where that's documented off hand, or whether it's just a product of a malfunctioning brain.  (Nor do I know whether that applies to constructed floors as well as smoothed ones, if it's even real.)

When in doubt, there is only one final answer: Try It And See.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 03:19:09 pm »

Smoothing muddy cavern floors will remove mud. If you pour water onto already smoothed floors the dwarves will not remove the mud. If a tree grows and you cut the tree down, the floor goes back to being a cavern floor.

Trees and shrubs do not grow on constructed floors, even if the constructed floors are muddy. You don't need to build paved roads on the constructed floors to prevent this anymore.

However, I have not attempted to actually build a farm on a constructed floor. The mud sticks to the constructed floor and dwarves never try to clean it up, so I assume it would work fine. All the farm needs is mud, right?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 03:23:01 pm »

I'll do some science then :P
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 03:35:32 pm »

Trees and shrubs WILL grow on constructed floors. I used to floor my 1x aqueducts and 1x access muddy tunnels to try to stop underground trees from popping up in them when I finally broke through into a cavern in 31.x. That didn't work. Trees and shrubs will not grow on ROADS. They will grow on muddy constructed floors. This means you have to road your 1x aqueducts and 1x muddy access tunnels if you want to guarantee that nothing grows there and blocks it.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 03:39:30 pm »

I believe you are incorrect, Darkstar. My welcome mat, made entirely of constructed floor tiles, has not had any trees or shrubs growing on it for over 2 years. It's not a small area, either.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:29 pm »

I believe you are incorrect, Darkstar. My welcome mat, made entirely of constructed floor tiles, has not had any trees or shrubs growing on it for over 2 years. It's not a small area, either.
Is it muddy?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:43:19 pm »

Trees and shrubs WILL grow on constructed floors. I used to floor my 1x aqueducts and 1x access muddy tunnels to try to stop underground trees from popping up in them when I finally broke through into a cavern in 31.x. That didn't work. Trees and shrubs will not grow on ROADS. They will grow on muddy constructed floors. This means you have to road your 1x aqueducts and 1x muddy access tunnels if you want to guarantee that nothing grows there and blocks it.

Incorrect.

I use constructed floors, made out of diorite blocks to provide maintenance walkways through my sewer system. Everything is coated with mud at this point as the sewers have been repeated flooded.

Trees and shrubs eagerly grow on the dirt or natural stone, but they do not and never have grown on the constructed block floor even after many years of fortress time.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 03:47:33 pm »

Is it outside or inside?

My outside constructed flooring doesn't get underground growth. And I know it outside cannot grow anything if the BIOME doesn't have natural plant life. IE: You can't buy strawberries from the elves, brew the strawberries, build a safe growing platform outside your fortress, muddy it, and then plant strawberries on that constructed platform. They won't be available despite having strawberry seeds.

But just 5 z levels down from that platform, I've had a 1x muddy aqueduct grow shrubs every 4 tiles on average, with saplings (which turn into TREES) scattered about in 31.x. Very aggravating.

Have you breached a cavern with plantlife yet? I've noticed that seems to make a difference.
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 03:49:59 pm »

My sewers are all subterranean, everything is covered in mud, and I have breached the caverns and regularly harvest the caverns for lumber.

No trees and no shrubs on the muddy constructed block floors for 10+ years of in-game time.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 03:51:20 pm »

I use constructed floors, made out of diorite blocks to provide maintenance walkways through my sewer system. Everything is coated with mud at this point as the sewers have been repeated flooded.

Trees and shrubs eagerly grow on the dirt or natural stone, but they do not and never have grown on the constructed block floor even after many years of fortress time.

I've only used blocks ONCE to floor over my aqueducts and 1x muddy access tunnels. Maybe this is the difference? Normally, I would use up raw rock, and that muddy, grows plantlife once I break into a cavern with plant life.

I feel some underground plant !!science!! is called for in my next game

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 03:53:05 pm »

I have had many fortresses with constructed floors that were intermittently splashed with water and coated with mud, both inside and outside.  I have never once seen a plant grow on a constructed floor.  This is after breaching a cavern, and then seeing underground plants grow on muddied cavern floors that weren't covered by constructed floors.  If you are seeing plants grow on constructed floors (NOT smoothed floor, but actual floors built with the construction menu) then something is going on in your fortress that nobody else can reproduce and you should upload a save file so we can examine this apparent obscure bug.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 04:03:02 pm »

I've only used blocks ONCE to floor over my aqueducts and 1x muddy access tunnels. Maybe this is the difference? Normally, I would use up raw rock, and that muddy, grows plantlife once I break into a cavern with plant life.

I feel some underground plant !!science!! is called for in my next game
Quite easy to test actually, build some constructed floor tiles above ground and muddy them, then wait and see if anything grows there.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 04:10:25 pm »

I just managed to plant cavewheat on muddied constructed floors :D

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

I have had many fortresses with constructed floors that were intermittently splashed with water and coated with mud, both inside and outside.  I have never once seen a plant grow on a constructed floor.  This is after breaching a cavern, and then seeing underground plants grow on muddied cavern floors that weren't covered by constructed floors.  If you are seeing plants grow on constructed floors (NOT smoothed floor, but actual floors built with the construction menu) then something is going on in your fortress that nobody else can reproduce and you should upload a save file so we can examine this apparent obscure bug.

Sphalerite, is that a WILD plant growth versus a FARM? Because I have built successful farms on constructed floor. I've also had underground plants spring up in the extra muddy area that I planned to expand my farm plots into after a few more immigration waves.

I suspect it is either just fun with the RNGods, or biomes may actually affect it, as I prefer to build my forts in highly forested areas, to make it easy to get wood in the early years without having my dwarves scattered around the embarkation area. And it is highly useful when you just can't find the coal.
Pages: [1] 2