Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rivers, Water and Map Edges  (Read 483 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rivers, Water and Map Edges
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:46:20 am »

When I'm above ground and have water flowing towards the maps edge, what will happen? Does the water "run off the map" somehow?

Is it possible to suck a river dry by installing a bunch of pumps on both sides?

If it is possble to suck it dry, will a wall (or row of floodgates) across the river bed bring the river to a halt (after I stopped the pumps again), or will it flood the next higher z-level?

Or is the river just a kind of "special water with a flow" and not a result of generation/elimination of water levels (which would probably save quite some CPU power)?
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rivers, Water and Map Edges
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:47:00 am »

When I'm above ground and have water flowing towards the maps edge, what will happen? Does the water "run off the map" somehow?
Yes.

Is it possible to suck a river dry by installing a bunch of pumps on both sides?
Well, yes, but you should then build something insde of that river, because these pumping activities are really bad for your fps.

If it is possble to suck it dry, will a wall (or row of floodgates) across the river bed bring the river to a halt (after I stopped the pumps again), or will it flood the next higher z-level?
It won't flood the next higher z-level, unless your pumps did the flooding of that z-level while you were building your dam.

Or is the river just a kind of "special water with a flow" and not a result of generation/elimination of water levels (which would probably save quite some CPU power)?
I don't know how rivers are implemented, but the water appears at one end of it, and it leaves the map at the other end of it.

You can observe this nicely on maps with rivers that are touched by various temperate/cold biomes, so that different parts of it freeze all over during different times of the autumn/winter.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rivers, Water and Map Edges
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:08:45 am »

not to be a dick but all of that answers can be found easily in the wiki .. under rivers /streams/water and damming