Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Abundance of Resources, Metalworking, Improved Economy, and Caravans  (Read 23018 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abundance of Resources, Metalworking, Improved Economy, and Caravans
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 02:50:35 pm »

Adding miserable, penniless sods to the list of Things I Could Do Better challenges is a great idea.

Making money work effectively requires some careful design. It can be done effectively by starting at the bottom instead of by decree from the top. As an example of a functional money system consider this:

The farmer will have a crop eventually, but not yet. But he still has to eat, so he goes to the cook and makes a promisary note: I'll give you some crops when they come in for some food now. This is the beginning of money. The farmer makes it more official by issuing Food Coins, tradable for one crop each, and he buys from the brewer and the cook, who will both want his crops later. Then along comes the Miner, and he sees that the cooks and brewers will accept these Food Coins in exchange for a meal. So he is willing to do some excavation and get paid with these coins.

That's the start of a functional financial system.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 02:58:29 pm »

Where did the food coins come from?  Did we smith them and give them to the farmers only?  Or is it imaginary?
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 03:05:08 pm »

For each crop that will be sold, the farmer smiths up a promisary coin. And maybe he hires someone to do it for him. He trades coins for food and drink, and to the miner to expand his fields, and to the metalsmith for producing the coins, and to the clothier for new sets of clothing. Then when the crops come in, the people who have posession of the coins can come and trade them for crops, and the farmer gets the coins back.

The farmer is not rich because he has all the coins; he has a collection of promises to keep, that he can pass out and then make crops to fulfill those promises. It's the crops that make the farmer rich. But someone else who has a lot of coins commands the promise of a lot of crops (and what crops can buy), so they can trade for much work. They are indeed rich.

But some people don't actually want crops, they simply trade them to the cook or the brewer for food.

These coins don't have to be real objects being passed around, they could simply be credit on a tab sheet. Put it on my tab. But it's a bit more interesting to have the coins.

On a related note, I think dwarves need to consume more stuff. Not just food. They're clothes already go bad, so they should purchase new clothing [or get the player to do it]. Food, Clothing, Shelter -- basic needs. What else? Entertainment! It's generally expensive, worthwhile, and persued by everybody. Those big parties that keep getting organized? They should cost a lot in terms of food and drink. And maybe we could get some bards to serenade the party so we could throw money at him, and buy him a new musical instrument. Wouldn't it be cool to organize a band of several musicians with their instruments to attend parties? Also, party favors. Little trinkets and crafts that are gifted to one another at these parties.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:28:04 pm by AngleWyrm »

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 01:10:02 am »

So basically currencies should be backed by something, so that the value of a given coin is based on the fortress's overall wealth divided by the number of coins, plus a few other bits of number-crunching? That way you don't need to mint a whole heap of coins, just enough to make sure your dorfs don't have to scrabble for years before they see even one -copper coin-.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 03:24:25 am »

Agreed, I think it would be cool if the fort's total currency was limited by the amount of precious metal in the vaults.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 04:01:06 am »

What if a farmer promises too much?  Now your just adding debt to the game.  Then again I'm not really complaining debtors prisons would be nice additions to any fortress.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2010, 06:05:05 am »

...that and serfdom.  :D

EDIT:  Something I came across while reading up on medieval life in Western Europe (which is an active topic full of unanswered questions!!!) was that coinage was widely used throughout the continent, but bartering without coins was also widely used.  I really need to substantiate this claim, but I would wager that most people (i.e. peasants working in farms, mines, and other such labors) would probably never use coinage, and instead trade services (like their labor) and goods (think livestock, crop harvests, trinkets, crafts, etc.).  And I would also wager that most other folk would use not only coin but barter as well.  I have at least a few sources with period written accounts of higher nobility bartering with not coin, but goods in certain transactions.

Also, keep in mind that coinage in Medieval Europe was not a fiat currency (value backed by the government, not necessarily dependent on value of the physical coin or note), but based directly on the value of the metal that made the coin.  And it was subject to market forces in the same way other commodities were.  Given the relative political instability of the time, I don't think it could have been any other way.   So far, what I've read on wikipedia (the coin and currency articles) seem to support this.

Just food for thought!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:21:52 pm by Andeerz »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 03:11:33 pm »

to the miner to expand his fields
I see some problems here. Firstly, how could the game know that the work the miner was doing was to expand farms? Every time a farm plot is placed, the miner who originally dug the tile gets credited? Every dirt tile the miner digs gets credited?

How do miners get paid, anyway? Does every single boulder and gem they winkle out become their private property? If so, what happens when we, the players, need to build a wall? Does the miner lose their boulder, or does it become the miner's wall? Or do the masons buy the boulder from the miner, in which case, how do they make their money?

Entertainment! It's generally expensive, worthwhile, and persued by everybody. Those big parties that keep getting organized? They should cost a lot in terms of food and drink. And maybe we could get some bards to serenade the party so we could throw money at him, and buy him a new musical instrument. Wouldn't it be cool to organize a band of several musicians with their instruments to attend parties? Also, party favors. Little trinkets and crafts that are gifted to one another at these parties.
Toady's mentioned that this is now "low-hanging fruit", so I wouldn't be surprised.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 03:19:14 pm »

i think that was just an example of how such a society (economy) could form...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 03:26:32 pm »

I'd like to see a system where you set a designated digging area then assign it to a miner and he gains credit for the hours he spends digging. Dug-out material still becomes property of the fortress.

The fort would sell the material to a mason to build a door, then buy the door. Same for woodcutters/carpenters. Woodcutters get paid per hour spent chopping, fort sells the wood to the carpenter, he makes a bed, fort buys the bed.

Obviously there would need to be a wage adjustment based on skill as well, or skilled miners would make less money due to digging faster.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 03:27:52 pm »

I see some problems here. Firstly, how could the game know that the work the miner was doing was to expand farms? Every time a farm plot is placed, the miner who originally dug the tile gets credited? Every dirt tile the miner digs gets credited?

How do miners get paid, anyway? Does every single boulder and gem they winkle out become their private property? If so, what happens when we, the players, need to build a wall? Does the miner lose their boulder, or does it become the miner's wall? Or do the masons buy the boulder from the miner, in which case, how do they make their money?

An excellent question!  It's come up in this thread... it has some ideas that might be applicable here to help come up with a good answer to it. 

Aw, hell, I'll throw in what I said in the thread:
[spoiler]Yeah.  Underlying sort of "intangible" things like motivation, willingness, want, etc. will need to be modeled in a reasonable way.  Personality traits definitely should play a role, but there should be more to the picture...

Another thing that will also need some clarification in addition to the stuff mentioned is ownership of the raw materials, tools, and stuff that are the basis of the economy after the dwarven economy sets in in a fort.  If a guild in this game is going to follow the definition of what a guild is, this needs to be addressed.  Guilds were a lot like cartels and corporations in their own right, mandating that its members produce and sell things meeting a standard of quality to satisfy market demand and make the guild money.  These mandates would often be independent of other governing bodies.  Guilds would provide members with access to tools and raw materials that the guild itself owned provided that the members give back to the guild a good deal of their profits and time.

Let's use mining as an example of what I would suggest:

If YOU designate mining of an area, the fort itself should pay miners from the fort's own coffers (paying with goods? or with coins?).  The miners could use fortress-owned picks (or guild owned picks if part of a guild) if they don't own their own.  If the miners were part of a guild, the guild would likely want a share of the profits from the workers, their rationale being that they helped provide employment/training to the workers and helped provide labor for the fort's project.  Whether or not the fort will accomodate the guild's demands would be up to the player. 

If a guild allowed to automate mining designates mining of a vein of ore, does the guild end up owning what it mines (likely with an imposed tax by the governing body of the fort i.e. you), free to sell it to the fort or other buyers?  Perhaps this could be determined by the player and/or other nobles.

Basically, the player should be able to set what degree of ownership there is of raw materials, produced goods, workshops, tools, etc.  Does everything made become communal property?  Does the maker of the craft own it, or is it the fort's or guild's?  Does the worker or guild own the workshop?  Do they have to rent it?  Is it free for use?  What taxes are there?  The player should be able to dictate all of these as the ruler of the fort.  Guilds should have internal rules, like guild fees, ownership rules, and rules about price-setting.  Guilds and individuals should be able to protest or accept rulings made by the player/fort, and if guilds are at odds with the fort's rulings, then they can protest, leave, or whatever. /spoiler]

In essence, I think a fort (as the game seems to be headed right now) functions more like a "commune" (in the MEDIEVAL SENSE!!!! Not so much the communist sense...), and in essence a corporation of sorts...

EDIT:  Also...
I'd like to see a system where you set a designated digging area then assign it to a miner and he gains credit for the hours he spends digging. Dug-out material still becomes property of the fortress.

The fort would sell the material to a mason to build a door, then buy the door. Same for woodcutters/carpenters. Woodcutters get paid per hour spent chopping, fort sells the wood to the carpenter, he makes a bed, fort buys the bed.

Obviously there would need to be a wage adjustment based on skill as well, or skilled miners would make less money due to digging faster.

I like this idea.  But I also think there should be an option of sort of a serfdom sort of system (which ties in with the class warfare thread and social hierarchy modeling) where a higher-up dwarf can "own" some land (but this might be actually what the player is doing sort of, so it is sorta already like this), and the serfs who work it aren't necessarily sold working materials or anything (that's all owned by the lord or the fort in the player's case).  The serfs are tied to the land (or mountain) and work it in exchange for protection and a place to live.  I dunno...  Actually, this is sorta what you said, except at no time are raw materials sold to the crafter nor craft bought from the crafter by the fort.  This is pretty much how serfdom worked, to my understanding.

EDIT: EDIT:

I will throw in another idea here... the player should be able to set the degree of ownership people have over this, that, or the other.  In this way, one could have a fort that behaves as a Medici-era city-state, a feudal town under a system of serfdom, or something in between.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:41:08 pm by Andeerz »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 03:36:18 pm »

Who feeds the serfs then? How do they pay for meals?

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 03:46:38 pm »

Who feeds the serfs then? How do they pay for meals?

Good question!  Historically, who fed the serfs were the serfs themselves (who were mostly farmers, and even non-farmers kept some sort of crop, and if they didn't, people shared food in the community) as well as the lord from his own stocks in times of need or as payment.  In systems that used serfdom, as I understand it, food (and anything else really) was never really paid for in coinage.  There were not necessarily (but there could be!) set wages either.  The wealth of a farming serf under a lord was dependent on how much stuff they harvested, which was sometimes still ultimately property of the lord anyway (it was very dependent on the lord's policies!!!).  However, it was in the lord's best interest to ensure his serfs were fed, housed, and had at least a basic means of surviving.  Keep in mind serfs were almost slaves (but not quite!  There was a distinction!)  The payment serfs received could simply only be protection, a place to call home, and basic political stability. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:51:06 pm by Andeerz »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »

These seem to be a matter of Ownership, which isn't currently modelled in the game, except in a few cases of personal belongings. Ownership should be either Fort or Individual, as there are good cases for both to exist. Building a wall to protect the fort is to create a resource owned by the fort, paid for by the fort. So there's some incentive for taxes to exist, to cover the cost of community property.

The wages and equipment of the soldiers are for the benefit of the fort. But if ownership is modelled well, then it might be possible for an individual to pay and equip a personal guard which follows them around. That would be cool.

On a different note, I'm not so sure about the idea of basing coin on precious metals, because they have less potential to be consumed than food. Everyone needs food. But everyone merely wants a gold statue in their room. Then what, when they all have a gold statue? But then maybe it's this property of permanence that appeals. Maybe metal wealth can be measured in the number of metal coffers, statues, tables and chairs that an individual dwarf posseses. So a coin could be a promisary note for a bar of iron from the fort's coffers.

So a dwarf would pay for a bar of iron with one coin, which goes to the fort, and then pay another coin to a blacksmith to commission an iron statue of a dwarf.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:59:22 pm by AngleWyrm »

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2010, 06:11:08 pm »

Same for woodcutters/carpenters. Woodcutters get paid per hour spent chopping...

Actually it's probably easier to pay miners and woodcutters for trees cut and squares mined, with a bonus to the miner for rocks, ore and gems left intact.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9