Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Abundance of Resources, Metalworking, Improved Economy, and Caravans  (Read 23010 times)

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abundance of Resources, Metalworking, Improved Economy, and Caravans
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 08:56:11 pm »

You can already do it. Tweak the raw and change the chance good materials showing up. Right now they are all at 100%. I have enough incentive to trade already so i'm fine with stuff being this way.
Actually, last I checked, you can't.  They're bugged right now, and are always at 100%, no matter what they're set to.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 11:28:27 pm »

You can already do it. Tweak the raw and change the chance good materials showing up. Right now they are all at 100%. I have enough incentive to trade already so i'm fine with stuff being this way.
Actually, last I checked, you can't.  They're bugged right now, and are always at 100%, no matter what they're set to.
Add to that I have never come across a site that did not have an abundance of gold, assorted gems, platinum, aluminum, and iron...

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 02:03:03 am »

I have yet to find a site that didn't have every single mineral in existance, it got annoying when I checked the list in the wiki and had every single gem/mineral/stone within my stockpiles..

And I mean every site ended this way, from somewhere in the scorching desert to the icy glaciers of freeze above ground.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 12:29:12 pm »

I have yet to find a site that didn't have every single mineral in existance, it got annoying when I checked the list in the wiki and had every single gem/mineral/stone within my stockpiles..

And I mean every site ended this way, from somewhere in the scorching desert to the icy glaciers of freeze above ground.
This is closer to my experience too. I did a glacier embark and made towering walls of icy death... dug down a bit and OH LOOK, a fuckton of iron, tin and copper. Over there, oh look some gold.. more gold... platinum... etc.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 04:53:01 pm »

+1 to whole idea

I tend to just get cubic shittons of wood cut, defenses set up, wall/channel in most of the map, get a way to let good guys in and gobbos out, and then figure out what the hell is in the rock in the first years. Then with loads of food/booze I, who almost never use a military, just go exploring. ambushes die real fast in my automatic traps, guard animals get thieves, and ballistae scared away my first only siege  ;)

then I do something wrong (could be on purpose) and suddenly my fort is on fire/flooded/filled with magma/crawling with fire imps/getting murdered by that one troll group/etc. and all this time I just buy reserve stuff (i.e. the whole caravan's load) for masterpiece crap and get them to leave. Fun, but trading right now is boring as I can get most stuff in the rock (in the caverns if need be)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 11:51:40 pm »

This is closer to my experience too. I did a glacier embark and made towering walls of icy death... dug down a bit and OH LOOK, a fuckton of iron, tin and copper. Over there, oh look some gold.. more gold... platinum... etc.

Yeah, me too. Resource specifity is pretty close to the top of my DF wishlist. Hopefully Toady will address this for the caravan arc!

being able to dig out a nice looking fortress without it being messed up by some stray copper vein cutting through my rooms
This...
Finding a big ore vein should be big news. At the moment, for most of the time, its really annoying, because it ruins architectural symmetry. If you want to mine precious metals, you just leave yourself room to expand, spin in a circle, point your finger and go.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 02:41:10 am »

I've abandoned forts without even digging because I couldn't find an area without ore, gems, or freak stone.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 03:10:16 am »

being able to dig out a nice looking fortress without it being messed up by some stray copper vein cutting through my rooms
This...
Finding a big ore vein should be big news. At the moment, for most of the time, its really annoying, because it ruins architectural symmetry. If you want to mine precious metals, you just leave yourself room to expand, spin in a circle, point your finger and go.
Okay this I can't agree on at all. You can just floor/wall over anything that is the wrong color, it's not that big of a deal.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 03:57:29 am »

Unable to engrave built walls, built walls can be worth less then a standard masterwork engraving..(If I remember right)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 04:18:18 am »

Unable to engrave built walls, built walls can be worth less then a standard masterwork engraving..(If I remember right)
Unless you engrave every wall and floor tile, why would this matter? If you're worried about value, then you wouldn't floor over the copper vein anyway because it is higher value.

I guess I see where it could become annoying for some people, I'm just not quite at that obsessive level. Carry on. :)

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 07:02:41 pm »

Another one to consider. Toady is talking about moving caravans across the world map, but the game should really go one step further if possible and put caravans under control of individual merchants or merchant houses. This would aid in tracking when your guards will get back, and if the fort is particularly profitable for a given merchant, they could send a permanent agent to your fortress.

The agent needs to be housed like a middling noble, but the caravan prices become much lower.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 07:40:09 pm »

Rather, the caravan prices would depend on his happiness and fulfillment most likely.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 08:49:52 pm »

The caravans need substantial work in order to improve the economy. They currently bring a whole section of toys and musical instruments and blood/ichor, but there is no motivation for the player to purchase any of those things. It's wasted detail. The caravan should bring a mountain of stuff that the player could use, as a form of exchange process: out with the produced goods, in with the imports.

Then comes the actual choosing of stuff. Currently the player can just clean out the caravan of everything they might conceivably need, in exchange for goblinite, food, rock crafts, mechanisms, clothing, the list goes on. The wealth generated by a fort far outweighs the wealth brought for exchange. Usually the fort has burgeoning storage bays filled with excess goods for export that the caravans don't match.

One way to fix this would be to increase the size of caravans by a lot, so that the purchasing power has an opportunity to be expressed. It's not an ideal solution though, because the storage bays of excess goods for export simply become storage bays loaded with excess import.

More to the point of economic reparations: The ability of a fort to grow every industry to overwhelming proportions is problematic. There should be a choice within the player's pervue to specialize in some subset of all the industries, with benefits that outweigh the loss of generality. Currently, building a huge clothing industry with two dozen workers is only a small fraction of a good fort with 150 dwarves. Production is too effective compared to dwarven consumption of those goods.

One way to fix this would be to increase the amount of time it takes for a worker to produce a given item, by a huge factor. For example, the output of a cook might be enough to keep ten dwarves fed if he works continuously. Another way to fix it would be to increase the usage of goods, such as dwarves putting on new clothes every year. But increased consumption isn't quite as effective because there are things that don't get consumed in an easily increasable way, such as steel armor and battle axes.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:29:46 pm by AngleWyrm »

OneTwentySix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 01:32:26 am »

It'd be nice if the caravan process was a bit more automated as well.  As it is, it's kind of a pain to have to select the goods to bring to the depot, select the goods to sell, and then spend time sorting through the (mostly) crap for the few decent items, and then repeating the next time.  Export agreements could alleviate this; give an order and you trade what you agreed to export for what you agreed to import.  But even failing that, sorting items better would be nice.  Something like:

Metals (Select all)
-Gold (Select all)
--Gold bar
--Gold bar
--Gold bar
-Steel (Select all)
--Steel bar
--Steel bar
etc., would be nice, as opposed to how you have to look through all sorts of useless extracts to find the milk, or empty barrels and barrels of blood to find the booze, etc. 

I'd definitely like to see larger caravans, though.  Provided there exists a way to use what it brings you.  And bringing more than 10 steel bars when you put them on high priority would be nice as well.

Increasing the time to produce items might help some aspects (after all, you can't churn out multiple sets of armor in a day), but then you run the problem of too much raw materials, unless you also slow down raw material production too.  It's an interesting issue regardless.

I do wish fortress wealth meant more, though; switching to currency trading might alleviate some of this.  As a fortress grows wealthy by importing actual wealth items (coins, jewels, etc.), it could divvy it out amongst the dwarves in a way similar to how it was done in the economy (when it worked).  And then maybe dwarves could buy things on their own from the caravans without asking you, or place orders for the next year.  "Urist Gemcloisters is happy.  He bought new clothes from the caravan." 

In any event, all this goes to show that there's a lot of improvement to that game that can occur in the caravan ark, so I look forward to seeing what Toady implements. 

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 01:05:15 pm »

All of these problems with overproduction are essentially caused by the communist system dwarves live by. Force dwarves to have to pay for everything and you'll soon find that they're all miserable, penniless sods, and your fort as a whole won't be able to buy a single bin of that rope reed cloth the elves keep bringing.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9