Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best Scourge metal?  (Read 2028 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Scourge metal?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 06:35:42 pm »

@ Uzu Bash: I'm not actually sure whether a morningstar in the game is meant to be a mace variant or a flail variant... RAWs work for either but mace seems more likely now that I think about it.
It seems intuitive that both morningstar and flail would function as whips, and I thought that was the case until I saw them classed as mace in the wiki. Looking at the raws right now it appears both weapons do use the mace skill.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »

For a flail, whip would make sense. However, contrary to what the Zelda games might tell us, a morning star is actually a mace.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 03:47:50 am »

Weapon names are used quite loosely even by enthusiasts and professionals... and even if those agree on consistent terminology, others don't. Yes, morningstar usually refers to a spiky mace rather than a spiky flail among the former, but that's not as unambiguous as a longsword being a twohanded weapon. Oops.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 06:09:32 am »

And a scourge is more of a flogger than a whip.

Um, I'm more of an enthusiast than a professional.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 04:51:44 pm »

And a scourge is more of a flogger than a whip.

Um, I'm more of an enthusiast than a professional.

Uzu Basher, you are an enthusiast flogger? That's TMI...
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 08:27:04 pm »

All flexible weapons are better than they should be: The game simulates their benefit (business end moves faster than a rigid weapon) but not their drawback (you shouldn't have the weight of the whole thing behind the blow).

If you modify whips to be smaller (I set them to size 10) then they do appear to have a harder time rending and eviscerating. A couple of tests with each reveals that the size 10 whip works about as well as it should, causing great pain and bruising whatever it hits, but rarely causing serious injury.

A steel 'whip' would cut skin and flesh to, if not through the bone. I picture a very thin modified chain-like object, such that transmits motion like a whip, with razor-sharp edges all down the length. Used expertly, it would wrap around the combatant. Used poorly, it would wrap around the other combatant, but I don't think hurting yourself with weapons is implemented yet.

Even leather whips do major injury when they connect. A whipcrack sounds a lot like a rifle shot, for pretty much the same reason. (Small sonic boom.)
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 03:38:14 am »

1) Anything chain-like would NOT transmit motion like a leather whip and be unable to reach supersonic speeds with the tip
2) Razor-sharp edges would degrade quickly and not do much - you can't control the angle well with this type of weapon
3) Handling these would be problematic, you mentioned that already.
4) It wouldn't cut as deep as you expect because there isn't much momentum behind the blows.
5) If the wrapping around works as you say it would, it would be pretty much the opposite in statistics: edged and with the biggest contact area of them all.

A lot of ingenuity went into weapons... most casual attempts to improve them wouldn't work too well. Supersonic speed of a leather whip's tip but with more mass behind it and a sharp metal edge sounds awesome... but if it was easy to achieve, someone would have done it.
Urumis and chain whips are practical whip-like weapons made of metal, but they aren't what you describe.
Pages: 1 [2]