Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: weird thing happened  (Read 1043 times)

jellow belly

• Bay Watcher
  • deserter prinny
    • View Profile
weird thing happened
« on: November 02, 2010, 04:53:22 pm »

so i haven't had internet access since Saturday and that was when i downloaded the v0.31.16 linux version. I configured it and wanted to play. I made a world and then i noticed something was wrong on the civ display so I went to adventure mode to check it out and saw that my civilization wasn't dwarfs but sea monsters. well just see the immage its humans-elves-dwarfs
wtf!?

needles to say it crashed the minute i wanted to start playing

i downloaded the version again today made the same configurations and tried, and it worked perfectly
so now i'm even more confused

The reward you get for digging holes is a bigger shovel.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: weird thing happened
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:08:41 pm »

You have a duplicate entry for a creature or civ somewhere in your raw folder, which causes that to happen.

jellow belly

• Bay Watcher
  • deserter prinny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:24:07 pm »

yes thats what the error log says but I couldn't find it or figure out the reason why it happened
thats my error log

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
so yes i have no idea what happened

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 05:27:50 pm »

Those are all creatures from the creature_next_underground file. You had two of a bunch of creatures in that file for some reason. What were the "configurations" you made?

In any case, if you said you redownloaded it and it's working fine now, it shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 05:29:33 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

jellow belly

• Bay Watcher
  • deserter prinny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 05:55:05 pm »

just configurations to the init.txt

and yes, I do know it's nothing to worry about but it was still funny, plus I just cant get around my troll nature

jellow belly

• Bay Watcher
  • deserter prinny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 06:03:12 am »

dood it just hit me this morning (it's noon where I live), this should be put in the wiki modding guide.
i removed the arena restriction from helmet snakes (i wanted to see if four of them could kill a dragon and it turns out they can't) and completely forgot and what happened was gedit created a backup of the old file which means that i now have a creature_next_underground.txt and a creature_next_underground.txt~ and since the syntax on the second file isn't wrong (the filename is the same just the extension is different) df read it normally
this is a problem that could easily happen to anyone with linux if he was a bit negligent since linux programs ignore these backup files. This might even be considered a linux-only bug.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 05:58:34 pm »

Aha! So that's how it happened to me. I wonder if this is reproducible in Windows?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 06:46:41 pm »

There are some windows programs that will create backup files in a linux-like manner. I used to have one that made "file-you-were-editing.bak" files, so I'm sure it's in the realm of possibility for one to produce ".txt~" instead. Certainly not an everyday kind of thing, but worth being aware of.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 04:06:43 am »

Or just do it manually.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 03:16:06 am »

Tried duplicating raws. My gremlin biter adventurer made the game crash.

Fortress mode: gremlin civ! All became hunters! Polar bear pulling the wagon! Spontaneous explosion on embark! Gremlins combust melt and explode! Copper bolts flying everywhere! The world has entered the age of legends! Settlement has crumbled to it's end!

This is fucking awesome.

Now duplicating the duplicate.

Satyrs. With tame voracious cave crawlers. Sadly, they don't explode.
Disapointing lack of weird shit.
Ah never mind: a FB appeared in the first seconds of play. Without an upper body.
They are wearing "unknow creature frozen substance" clothing. Awesome.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:30:43 am by Encased in burning magma »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]