Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Falling on spikes question (Would wearing cotton candy make you immune?)  (Read 477 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello.

Falling from many z-levels and surviving is something I'm rather interested in as far as DF goes.  I already know that you can fall on another creature and both will be fine (I tested this in the arena)

but a question that I can't solve myself (mostly because I can't build a fort that lasts very long) is what happens to a creature when he falls on upright spikes.

I've heard it does more damage now but I'm wondering about the mechanics of it.

Does the dwar- er 'creature' get hit by a very powerful spike attack and decelerate, or does it get stabbed and then slam into the ground?

I ask because if the spike decelerates the creature I wonder if a training spear + cotton candy armor = safe way to fall from many Z levels.

I've already tried simply dumping dwarves in the blue stuff, it doesn't help because colliding with an object is blunt damage =<

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Falling on spikes question (Would wearing cotton candy make you immune?)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:47:31 pm »

Just test it with steel armour or such, any armour better than the spear should work for this.
*Hugs*

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:17:26 pm »

Just test it with steel armour or such, any armour better than the spear should work for this.

My guess is that adamantine was chosen because it's light, and steel may actually add up weight to the dorf, making the fall more damaging.
But yes, when it comes to the stab itself, anything better than the spear should work.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »

but does it stop the impact on the ground?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:25:19 pm »

We don't know, that's why we're encouraging you to test it.
*Hugs*